St Thomas turtle/snorkel excursion

jamin jul

• 3 weeks later...

St. Thomas has a nice beach just off of the property of University of the Virgin Islands and on the other side of the St. Thomas airport. It is a free beach and you can get there by taxi or the public bus. I have seen turtles there each time I went snorkeling. They have changing rooms, bathrooms and food trucks that park there that also sell cold beer. Nice place to spend a few hours. I also noted other cruise passengers with their towels.

There however are no lounge chairs or vendors to rent them. Still a nice beach with views of airplanes landing on runway about 1/2 mile away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taxis don't wait or frequent Brewers Beach so best to arrange for transport back to ship. No snorkel rentals. Mostly locals.

If you don't mind adventure and a short walk back up the hill, there is a covered city bus stop with benches by the University of the Virgins (near gymnasium). Buses, taxies and local jitneys (stop/ wait there).

The cost of the jitneys is $1.00 p/p and drop you back within walking distance to the Havensight cruise terminal. Both locals and tourist alike ride the jitneys.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chiming back in!

I was on a Turtle cove (Buck Island) excursion on April 10th. The sea grass is starting to come back as others have said. We saw 4 turtles in our time in the water! (which is more than we saw 2 years prior, before the storms) Fish were only over by the reef, which we didn't spend a lot of time by, because there had been a recent storm making that area murky. But getting to see so many turtles swimming around made the whole thing worth it!