Best time of year for Denali Tundra tour

cruzrbachoua

Hi we are looking to do a land tour in 2020 in Alaska. We originally had planned for June since we have been in September time frame and thought perhaps we would get different weather in June. But the more I think about it the more I really want to see wildlife especially on the Tundra tour in Denali....so is there a better time of year to have more chances to see wildlife...would June be too early as they are just awaking from hibernation...September too late as they are heading into it...any advice would be great thanks.

wolfie11 great thanks..we had fabulous weather in September albeit cold in the am (for so cal folks) and warmer in afternoon, but no rain until we got to Vancouver and then it was only for part of the day. But good to hear that there are some animals out and about. We also want to make sure the road into Denali is open all the way as I read the Tundra tour goes deep in so long as the roads are open.

mapleleaves thanks for the info..was also looking for personal experience from folks who have done it and had opinions of which would be better timing...but I will for sure check out this site as well as I do love to research stuff.

I provided the link because you said "We also want to make sure the road into Denali is open all the way as I read the Tundra tour goes deep in so long as the roads are open." If you want to take the road "all the way" you'd want the Kantishna trip to Mile 92, not the Tundra tour to Mile 62. I thought you might be confused about the various destinations of the tours and transits , so that link will provide info on each option.

I've been to Denali in late July, early Aug, mid Aug and late Aug. Always saw plenty of wildlife. The only difference in those trips is that in late August its easier to see moose since they are gathering for the rut. I book the Wonder Lake or Eielson shuttle bus, not the tour. I've gone as early as 7am and as late as 2pm, and there was no difference in sightings. I've also had rainy weather for every trip. I've read that sunny warm weather sometimes makes viewing difficult because the wildlife is hiding out in whatever shade they can find.

Yeah I knew there were different options and believe the Tundra is the one that is par to of the land tour package we are doing...or thinking of doing. yeah I heard that about the sunny days that overcast or rainy is good. One tour we were on said that the bright sun actually hurts the bears eyes. See now I didn't think about that as it gets closer to late summer there would be more moose. That is truly what we want to see..we have bears at the zoo and wild animal park..while I would love to see bears we really want to see that elusive moose as we have never seen one so that would be amazing!

Use the shuttles, not a "tour." Same road, same views, much cheaper and goes further. https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Thanks but I believe it is already part of the connoisseur land tour we are doing with Princess and don't think we would get a discount if we said we didn't want to do it and opted to do something on our own.

Consider renting a car so you can drive around to look for wildlife.

I always rent a car or RV ....we've seen moose in and around Homer, along the Sterling Hwy between Cooper Landing and Soldotna, near the airport in Anchorage, and along the Parks Hwy between Denali and Nenana.

Mapleleaves, thank you, while normally we do like to do our own thing in ports we are doing a combined land tour and cruise and as I previously stated I don't think we would get any discounts if we opted out of the tours that are included and we opted for the fancier land tour so that we could get these particular excursions and not have to hunt around on our own this time and for once just sit back and enjoy the scenery while others do all the worrying and planning for me. I am just trying to decide if my original plan of going in June would yield good wildlife seeing or if later in the summer would be better..granted I know they are wild and do as they please and no one can guarantee sightings.

Other than the moose rut, I don't think there's much difference in WHEN you go. The growing season in Denali is very short so the animals are foraging 24/7 to bulk up for the long winter.

I think the advantage to early season would be the babies. Plus the park is just starting to green up so the wildlife have to actively search for food instead of staying in one place to graze. There are usually cows with youngsters at the park entrance, esp by Riley Creek Campground. Moose are very dangerous so don't approach.

In the past Princess has refunded the Tour if people want to take the shuttle instead. But it takes a little more work and thought to arrange your own way to the park entrance and get snacks, etc so probably best to stay with your current option. Have a great trip!

Mapleleaves thanks for all the advice...I am torn now...do we want cute babies early on or wait til later and hope to see more out bulking up for winter and the Moose rut...which I must say I will have to google as I have no idea what it is but sounds interesting.

Oh yeah we got all the warnings last time about moose and the dangers.....sadly all we saw was bear poop..lol. I didn't think the Tundra tour stopped to let us out except at the restroom breaks..which I guess could have some moose around..I don't know what it is about them that just amazes and intrigues me, but it is on my bucket list to see one.

Price difference is nominal as well from early June and early September ...maybe couple hundred...such decisions.

We hope to as once on the ship we will be doing a suite for the first time and also renewing our vows...and hoping our friends are able to book the balcony next to the cabin we want and we are going to make it a party trip!

cruzrbachoua: I am not a wildlife biologist, but live in Fairbanks, Alaska. The local Fish and Game folks have already issued a "bear aware" alert for the Interior reminding folks that the bears will be out of hibernation soon. We subscribe electronically to the Anchorage Daily News and last week they also published a reminder about hibernation ending shortly. And about a decade ago Fairbanks had an entire summer when it seemed that bears were taking over the community; the problems started in early May when a family of three bears became very unafraid of humans. When this happens it generally doesn't end well for the bears.

I don't think that bear hibernation starts in the Interior until after the first lasting snowfall, which would be well after any visit in September. Again, I am not a wildlife biologist so hopefully someone who is can clarify. But we have successfully won the September Denali Road lottery permits (in which a limited number of people are allowed to drive their private vehicles into the park the entire length of the road) and have certainly seen bears in the park in September.

Moose don't hibernate, nor do they migrate. Wildlife biologists have radio collared moose to better understand how far they range, but we see them all year long at our home (on Chena Ridge just outside Fairbanks) and most likely see the same ones all year long. The reference to moose going into rut refers to the mating season.

Caribou do migrate, and the herd you see in Denali National Park summers in the park but migrates to (again, I am not a wildlife biologist) I think the Forty Mile area. They will still be in the park until well after the end of the tourist season. One year that particular herd had their "migration GPS" mis-programed, and in October/early November folks were spotting them just south of Fairbanks on the Tanana Flats. That spring, in late April, the "migration GPS" was still mis-programed, and the entire herd of several thousand animals hit Fairbanks dead-on. For several days folks were taking photos of them in their yards, trotting down the streets and so forth.

The TWT stops going to Mile 62 sometime mid-September and only goes to Teklanika. It varies by a day or so year to year depending on when the Road Lottery is going on.

I have been into the park probably 50+ times. There is no bad time to go. I will be there in 3 weeks before the park even "opens" for tourist season. I'll drive out to Tek once or twice and maybe camp at Savage River. I have closed the park down in the fall, done the road lottery a few times and been pretty much every time in between. I can't remember a trip when I didn't see a bear, caribou, and sheep. Moose are the best in late May-early June when the cows are giving birth. One had her baby in the roundabout in the middle of the road by the train station. Another had hers in the parking lot of the visitor's center. The time to see the big bulls is late August and September. There aren't a lot of wolves around right now due to the state of Alaska's archaic Board of Game, but there is always a chance.

I was on a HAL Denali Tour last June and saw lots of wildlife.

Passengers on the bus are the ones who spot the wildlife as the bus driver needs to be very careful in negotiating the narrow road. The bus returns on the same road so which side of the bus you sit is immaterial. When passengers shout to the bus driver that wildlife is spotted, the driver will stop the bus and point the mounted video camera, with extreme zoom, at the spotted wildlife so that all on the bus can see the animals on the video screen. You may not depart the bus except at designated restroom stops.

Lots of wildlife to be photographed (need telephoto lens).

Here is a link to my photo review that includes maps, menus, wildlife, chalet rooms, etc.:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/

I like to go to Denali in June. If there are patches of snow that haven’t melted you may see caribou standing or laying in the snow. The daylight hours will be longer in June and the weather seems to be better. Be sure your tour includes the narrated Tundra Wilderness Tour. If you have an extra day you can take a shuttle bus further into the park or do some hiking or go see the puppies or go rafting. Lots to see and do.

Omg thanks everyone for all the wonderful info. Again a tough call baby moose or the big bull moose...either way they are way bigger than anything we have seen.

Going into rut..ok i was close...i was thinking either going into hibernation or going into mating...mating it is...would this time make them less likely to be spotted as they are off getting their groove on? Lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

We are going to be in Denali from May 16-18 prior to a Holland America cruise on the Westerdam on May 20. Was kind of bummed a few days ago when I heard the Park was not really open until May 20, at least for tours to Mile marker 50 and beyond, like on the Tundra Wilderness Tour which has now been replaced for us by the shorter Natural History Tour. I hope we will still see some beautiful sights and lots of wildlife, but will make the most of what we get. Hope your tours in the Park are spectacular!

We are going to be in Denali from May 16-18 prior to a Holland America cruise on the Westerdam on May 20. Was kind of bummed a few days ago when I heard the Park was not really open until May 20, at least for tours to Mile marker 50 and beyond, like on the Tundra Wilderness Tour which has now been replaced for us by the shorter Natural History Tour. I hope we will still see some beautiful sights and lots of wildlife, but will make the most of what we get. Hope your tours in the Park are spectacular!

I took a flying tour with Fly Denali that flies over the park and then circles the big mountain above the clouds last year on my HAL cruisetour. Here is a link to my photo review that includes maps, menus, train photos, chalet photos, etc:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/

We were in the Park in late May, going only to Teklanika but saw so much wild life I could hardly believe it! Bears,lots of caribou, moose, fox, Dall sheep and a lot of other smaller game. We did not know we would not be going to the Tundra (it opened the nest day!) and wish we could have, but Princess gave us a discount back. They did not let us know ahead of time, we would have probably waited a week!

We were in the Park in late May, going only to Teklanika but saw so much wild life I could hardly believe it! Bears,lots of caribou, moose, fox, Dall sheep and a lot of other smaller game. We did not know we would not be going to the Tundra (it opened the nest day!) and wish we could have, but Princess gave us a discount back. They did not let us know ahead of time, we would have probably waited a week!

Wow great...I think we will stick to June time frame just to see it during a different time vs the about to close for the season we saw last time.

Thanks but I believe it is already part of the connoisseur land tour we are doing with Princess and don't think we would get a discount if we said we didn't want to do it and opted to do something on our own.

If you had to just dump the inadequate Princess supplied tour and rebook your own Denali tour, how much would it add to the total cost of the trip? Not much I would guess when you consider that you might get a much better experience.

DON

If you had to just dump the inadequate Princess supplied tour and rebook your own Denali tour, how much would it add to the total cost of the trip? Not much I would guess when you consider that you might get a much better experience.

DON

The Tundra Wilderness tour is not an inadequate Princess tour. There is not much difference between the TWT and the shuttle to Eielson. The TWT turns around 7 miles from Eielson, and I heard that last year a couple of the TWTs were turning around at Eielson. There are actually a lot of drawbacks for someone on a cruise tour to switch:

1. You have to get a refund from Princess for the included TWT and pay out for your shuttle tickets, which can be a hassle.

2. You have to get yourself from your hotel to the WAC to catch the shuttle, which means walking or taking a later shuttle.

3. You have to deal with booking a shuttle. The early shuttles are usually full.

4. You have to plan for food. There’s no food in the park. You have to buy it beforehand to bring with you. Make sure you bring plenty of water as well.

For all this, you get to go 7 miles further into the park.

The TWT picks you up in front of your hotel, provides food and water, has video cameras for up close views of the wildlife, has narration (optional on the shuttle) and deposits you back at your hotel after a long day.

While I totally agree that all this is worth it to ditch the worthless Natural History tour, it is not IMO worth it to do so for the comparable TWT.