Anthem v. Carnival Triumph

A good friend is trying to decide on a ship. Anthem is a 9 day Bermuda Eastern Caribbean v. 8 night Eastern Caribbean on Carnival Triumph. Sailing is for Aug. 2019 and price difference is negligible. Ports are different except San Juan. Which would you choose? Posting on both boards.

Anthem by a mile.

i vote Anthem by a mile too.

Done Triumph more times than i can count. got a ov in the back on deck 2 once, its not like on conquest, man that ship had the shakes. and cabins smaller facing the aft than other bigger ships.

elevators used to always be out, a cruise is a cruise is a cruise, ill take anything out of galveston, so did triumph a lot, but vs anthem, not even a close match imo. Much newer ship.

9 day cruise on a ship built in 2015, weighing 167 K tons, visiting San Juan, St Maarten, Bermuda & Labadee or 8 day cruise on a ship built in 1999, weighing 101 K tons, visiting San Juan, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. Both have 4 days at sea.

Not even close.....Anthem. Nine days is longer than eight, the ports are better, the ship is newer and larger. I would be surprised if a single person over on the loyal royal boards would vote for the Triumph. It's 5-1 Anthem so far on the Carnival boards. Just thought of the Ace of Trump in the decision making process. The Anthem sails out of Bayonne, while the Triumph sails out of NYC. Parking at the NYC pier is 40.00 per day, while it's 20.00 per day at Bayonne and offsite in Bayonne can be cheaper still.

The Anthem is a beautiful ship but definitely built for cold weather cruises. If your friend is a real sun pool lover Anthem isn’t a great choice. The adults only area is under glass and feels like your in a terrarium when it’s hot. It also only has one outdoor pool which gets crowded. The other pool is indoors too. The indoor food options are really good but I’d have to think twice about taking Anthem leaving in the summer.

I sailed the Triumph back in 2006 and the ship was old and tacky back then. Since then, I've read many posts here on CC about the Triumph needing to get a "Sunshine" overhaul and rehab.

I haven't sailed the Anthem yet, but a newer ship, 1 more day cruising, and better ports (no Amber Cove!) make RCCL the obvious choice for this cruiser.

Anthem for the ship. Loved being able to have lots of indoor space and things to do if weather is bad. Plus the flow rider, i-fly, puzzle room, etc. are a lot of fun.

Triumph for the free food options. Since ports are basically the same, pick which of above is the tie breaker for you. Have a great trip.

9 day cruise on a ship built in 2015, weighing 167 K tons, visiting San Juan, St Maarten, Bermuda & Labadee or 8 day cruise on a ship built in 1999, weighing 101 K tons, visiting San Juan, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. Both have 4 days at sea.

Not even close.....Anthem. Nine days is longer than eight, the ports are better, the ship is newer and larger. I would be surprised if a single person over on the loyal royal boards would vote for the Triumph. It's 5-1 Anthem so far on the Carnival boards. Just thought of the Ace of Trump in the decision making process. The Anthem sails out of Bayonne, while the Triumph sails out of NYC. Parking at the NYC pier is 40.00 per day, while it's 20.00 per day at Bayonne and offsite in Bayonne can be cheaper still.

So much so this, especially the last bit. It's wayyyy easier to get to Bayonne and cheaper parking than the port of Manhattan. Plus the Anthem is a newer ship, built for the weather to sail out of NY/NJ year round so in the event there's a bad storm or it's the dead of winter you don't lose pool time as the adults area is enclosed. Not to mention TONS more stuff to do on the ship itself. I sail primarily RC and X, so maybe I'm biased, but I've not yet been on the Anthem nor ever been on the Triumph. I just know which I'd chose if it was me.

Funny, I am considering the exact same cruises for August 19 as well, with NCL too. Leaning towards Anthem, newer ship, longer cruise, better ports. Unless the Triumph gets a major revamp before heading to NYC I am going to book Royal or NCL for August 19.

Absolutely Anthem.

It has its flaws when you compare it to some other Royals ships, but it is a great ship and itinerary.

We've done it on Anthem and other ships and absolutely loved it.

If you choose inside cabin all of them have virtual balconies which is a very cool feature.

Love solarium. Spent tons of time there.

You will need to book (for free) shows. Two are Broadway style, and another not to be missed Spectra's Cabaret in high tech two70 venue.

Ship also offers ifly(skydiving), flowrider, bumper cars, North Star, bionic bartenders.

Funny, I am considering the exact same cruises for August 19 as well, with NCL too. Leaning towards Anthem, newer ship, longer cruise, better ports. Unless the Triumph gets a major revamp before heading to NYC I am going to book Royal or NCL for August 19.
I'd pick Anthem over Breakaway class ship, or is it Gem of NCL?

Escape to Bermuda

To Bermuda I’d take any ships, especially knowing that NCL ships spend 3 days there, but I prefer Gem and such. I feel that lido deck on Escape and likes is not designed with such crowds in mind. Waterfront is a great feature though. Enjoy!

Unfortunately Anthem mostly does 5 dayers to Bermuda.

I’d look into Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne too.

Triumph in a heartbeat. You don't need a GPS to find your cabin or anything else. Triumph will undergo a major dry dock next year (6 weeks?). I doubt it will be a Sunshine makeover, but perhaps the best of. Even if the cruise prices were the same, Royal charges more for everything once on the ship, including gratuities.