Question about On Board Account

4olivers

have never sailed Carnival, wondering if they are like other lines, a $200 hold upon embarking then on day of disembarking anything billed to room is then charged in full on last day? So whether it’s $300 or $1000 more- it’s not billed to card until final day.

I have read where Carnival sometimes puts other holds on your bank card throughout the week?

What is everyone’s experience with this?

They charge throughtout the week, in seemingly random amounts. They do put the initial charge on day one also. In the end, it balances out.

So for example on Princess we were charged a $200 hold (deposit) then we charged beverage packages, couple of specialty dinners, etc to our on board account. Nothing else was ever charged to our bank/credit card until the day we got off the ship.

So you’re saying Carnival charges random amounts to the card throughout the week?

They charge throughtout the week, in seemingly random amounts. They do put the initial charge on day one also. In the end, it balances out.

So for example on Princess we were charged a $200 hold (deposit) then we charged beverage packages, couple of specialty dinners, etc to our on board account. Nothing else was ever charged to our bank/credit card until the day we got off the ship.

So you’re saying Carnival charges random amounts to the card throughout the week?

See my post above with the link to Carnival's credit/debit card hold policy. There will be an initial hold amount (based on length of cruise) with additional holds if your spending exceeds the original hold amount. The additional holds may seem random, but (if Carnival follows their published policy) they should be in line with situations where you incrementally exceed previous holds.

Edited by joepeka

Let's say they put a $200.00 Hold on the account

Then you buy drinks and they hit the gratuities and this equals $175.00 (these numbers are not real, I'm just using these as an example)

Carnival may request another hold for another $200.00

Next day you buy excursions. These excursions cost $225.00

(As you can see you are getting close to or exceeding any pre=authorized amount)

Carnival will get another hold for $200.00

next day drinks, speciality dining, and gifts totaling $150.00

Carnival may hit your card with another $200.00 hold

Final night,,, Carnival totals your account at $550.00 for purchases and bills your card.

Your card also has $800.00 in holds. Therefore your available credit or amount not available on your debit card is $1350.00 UNTIL your financial institution releases the $800 in holds.

confused??? explain? I get charged 200 a room before I even step on ship? 400 ????

You are not "charged" (which implies it's something you HAVE to pay) but rather a "hold" in a relatively small amount is placed on your credit card credit balance which will disappear if you do not spend that amount by the end of the cruise. Most people do not even realize this is happening or see any consequence of it, all they see is the final charge to their card for the balance owed to Carnival and the "holds" will never been seen.

You can see whatever is going onto your account on the tv in your cabin or at kiosks located in various spots around the ship.It is not a surprise at the end of your cruise.

You can also see your account balance via the Hub app on board.

confused??? explain? I get charged 200 a room before I even step on ship? 400 ????

Is Carnival going to “trust” that every person who boards the ship is giving them a valid credit card and able to run up thousands of dollars in credit?

Or do you think a better practice would be to “trust but verify” by running a check on each credit card or debit card to ensure funds are available?

Now, those individuals who have high limit credit cards and good credit scores will most likely be protected by the financial institution and the “holds or pendings” won’t be seen by the consumer.

Full disclosure, I have high limit cards but can still see pendings.

Those individuals who have low limit cards or using debit cards or who may have had credit issues in the past,,, may have issues with their financial institutions and or with available balances.

Sometimes it’s best to just open ones on board account with cash.

You are not "charged" (which implies it's something you HAVE to pay) but rather a "hold" in a relatively small amount is placed on your credit card credit balance which will disappear if you do not spend that amount by the end of the cruise. Most people do not even realize this is happening or see any consequence of it, all they see is the final charge to their card for the balance owed to Carnival and the "holds" will never been seen.

Gas Stations and hotels also place holds on your credit cards.

Just additional info. Many places put holds on cards.

Gas Stations and hotels also place holds on your credit cards.

Just additional info. Many places put holds on cards.

Absolutely. There's one gas station chain locally that routinely puts a $150 tentative charge/hold on our credit card by way of credit verification which disappears once the actual charge is posted.

Your credit card isn't charged until the cruise ends. If you want to pay off your bill in cash, either in full or in part, you can do that any time before you depart the ship.

They will put any charges you accumulate onto your shipboard account throughout the cruise, but the balance isn't DUE until the cruise has ended.

See my post above with the link to Carnival's credit/debit card hold policy. There will be an initial hold amount (based on length of cruise) with additional holds if your spending exceeds the original hold amount. The additional holds may seem random, but (if Carnival follows their published policy) they should be in line with situations where you incrementally exceed previous holds.

This explanation is spot on and explains what I experience better than I could have.

To the OP, it always balances out at the end.

Your credit card isn't charged until the cruise ends. If you want to pay off your bill in cash, either in full or in part, you can do that any time before you depart the ship.

They will put any charges you accumulate onto your shipboard account throughout the cruise, but the balance isn't DUE until the cruise has ended.

Mine is charged. I have the statements to back that up.

Your experience may vary.

By the way, if you have no card on file you can pay at guest services with your credit card as you go.