Premier's Private Island?????

Does anyone know the name or location of the private island Premier Cruise lines used 10-15 years ago? All I can remember now is that it was somewhere close to the island pictured at the start of Gilligan's Island.

Thanks much.

Its official name was Salt Cay, and is better known to cruisers as Blue Lagoon Island. It was beautiful -- we were there a couple times in the early 90s as well.

It's still in use today as a shore excursion out of Nassau.

We've been to Blue Lagoon Island three times on Dolphin Cruise Lines in 1987, 1991, and 1995. It was lovely!! We were told that many of the episodes of Gilligan's Island were done on location on that island.

There were picnic tables, hammocks, a barbecue pavillion, restrooms, etc. There were also two sides to the island. While we were on one side, another cruise ship's passengers were on the other side. We walked over to the other side to see what it was like.

My husband and our ten-year-old daughter went snorkeling in the snorkeling section. They also had a Dolphin Encounter.

Don't know if anyone is still using it now or not.

Mary Ellen

• 4 months later...

Was there twice. 1986 and 1987. Signed up for snorkling and got a T-shirt.

Logo had splash down I think. Jerry Van Dyke was on the 1986 cruise. The wind was so bad and waves so rough that we could not hardly get across the plank from the tender back to the ship on the return from the island. I watched the hands crawl across the plank. They finally move the ship to block wind. We were a hour trying to get back on. Jerry was late for his show that nite. The next year they took us straight from the Nassau dock.

• 1 month later...

Went to Blue Lagoon as an excursion from Nassau (was on a Carnival cruise) last summer. It was beautiful, but oddly enough the water only came up to thigh level...good for kids though...nearly impossible to drown!! :D That was the beach on the side of the dolphin encounter. Maybe the other side of the island has deeper water.

• 1 month later...

We went there while cruising on the Big Red Boat Oceanic. My most vivid memory is of lying in a hammock and looking up at a palm tree, and then out at the crystal clear turquoise water. I thought we'd found paradise, if only for an afternoon.

If I remember correctly, and I have a brain for this stuff. No episodes of gilligan's Island were shot there but it *was* the island used in the long shots of the island. I believe all of the shooting for the shows was done on a set. It is possible the lagoon shots were done on location but for a TV show in the 60's shooting at a location away from Southern California probably was not possible due to budgetary contraints. Ya know there has *got* to be a website somewhere that talks about this :)

I got my info, btw, from Premier Cruiselines at the launch party in the 80's when I was a travel agent. Hard to believe the line is gone.

• 4 months later...
Went to Blue Lagoon as an excursion from Nassau (was on a Carnival cruise) last summer. It was beautiful, but oddly enough the water only came up to thigh level...good for kids though...nearly impossible to drown!! :D That was the beach on the side of the dolphin encounter. Maybe the other side of the island has deeper water.
We were there with PCL (on the Majestic) back in the late 80's and the side of the island you mention may not have been very deep, but it was on the other side we went to snorkel, and it was beautiful.

I really have a fond spot in my heart for this island; from the beautiful beaches, the great snorkeling, the BBQ, to the pirate show they did at night this remains my favorite port of all time.

Here are some pictures I found posted by CC member paulmedik of the old Majestic cruise they took in 1989 that has some shots of the island:

http://community.webshots.com/user/paulmedik

John

It's amazing what is out there on the internet. I actually found what I was looking for. Please bear in mind that this is the internet and this may be innacurrate, to say the least.

This site claims exterior shots were shot at two locations in Hawaii: http://www.gilligansisle.com/tour.html

The actual lagoon was located on the backlot of the CBS Studio City studios in Studio City, CA ... All the huts etc were on a soundstage. The magic of Hollywood!

I worked for PCL in the 80's & early 90's and have spent many days on this island. Yes, it was often referred to as Salt Cay, Blue Lagoon and even Gilligan's Island. Though Gilligan was primarlily shot on a set, there were some scenes filmed on Salt Cay that were used for some backround shots in the series. The sister Island to Salt Cay, just east is the Island depicted in the island shown in the opening of the show. Also filmed at Salt Cay was 'SPLASH' and a scenes of a James Bond film (the one with Ursala Andress (?) as the femme fatale).

Just prior to my leaving PCL there was a hurricane that badly damaged Salt Cay and the Premier pavillions (I believe it was the fall of '91). The lagoon of the island (where Royale, then Atlantic passengers where ferried) was broken open to the open sea seperating it from the Oceanic pavillion. The lagoon, became a 'river' or inlet between the two sides of the island. The first few cruises that we were able to return to the island, people had to wade throught this inlet to visit either of the pavillions. Last I was there (after spending a long year of so in the Abacos aboard Majestic), a bridge was built to link the two sides and transverse the lagoon inlet. I am uncertain is it is still configured that way today.

It was a wonderful spot, but after the Majestic's Abaco itinerary at Great Guana Cay (ABACODABRA!), it was clearly no longer the favorite island. Such a shame the Abaco itinerary was so fragile to weather conditions, as Great Guana was likley the most beautiful of all out islands I had experienced.

• 12 years later...
Does anyone know the name or location of the private island Premier Cruise lines used 10-15 years ago? All I can remember now is that it was somewhere close to the island pictured at the start of Gilligan's Island.

Thanks much.

Yes, I visited there as well, in the 1980's that place was referred to as an unnamed "Out" Island, to mean outer island.