Civitavecchia Taxi from Cruise Ship to Railroad Station

madelineKen

The shuttle bus driver may drop you off at the train station if you ask the driver nicely. In September '09 we were dropped at the port entrance and walked to the train station, but other shuttles brought riders to the station.

You should also know that you may very well have to drag your bags down about 40-50 stairs and then up another staircase in order to get to the proper track in Civitavecchia. We didn't see any porters there, but you may be able to tip someone to assist you.

Lew

The shuttle bus driver may drop you off at the train station if you ask the driver nicely. In September '09 we were dropped at the port entrance and walked to the train station, but other shuttles brought riders to the station.

You should also know that you may very well have to drag your bags down about 40-50 stairs and then up another staircase in order to get to the proper track in Civitavecchia. We didn't see any porters there, but you may be able to tip someone to assist you.

Lew

Now that is interesting news. We have never seen a port shuttle bus go outside the port but this would sure be a nice development. There is another issue about dragging luggage to Rome. The train from Civitavecchia to Rome ends its journey at a track in the Rome Termini station that is several blocks from the main station entrance (its seems like you walk forever through the huge station). In most cases you will have to wheel your luggage for this long distance until you get to the main station exit where there are taxi queues. There is a much closer exit that goes out the side of the station onto a normal sidewalk, but it can be very difficult to find a taxi at this exit. We have also noticed that many taxi drivers will not take a fare to the station because they prefer to keep looking for a big fare to Rome or FCO.

Hank

We have never seen a port shuttle bus go outside the port but this would sure be a nice development.

I wouldn't depend on it. While walking to the train station we saw only one shuttle making the trip.

We have also noticed that many taxi drivers will not take a fare to the station because they prefer to keep looking for a big fare to Rome or FCO.

Good point. When disembarking the shuttle there were a number of taxi drivers offering rides to Rome. A short, four block fare would not be of much interest to them.

The OP's best bet may be to share a limo to Rome. I suggest they check their Roll Call to see if others on their cruise have any interest.

Lew

HLitner is correct.

The shuttle bus driver will not drop you off outside of his regular stop. He will only drop you off at the Fort which is a walk to the train station. And the first hour or two he will be very busy with passengers and luggage.

And the few taxi drivers will not want to take you either. They get about 100 Euros to go to the airport and will not want to miss that.

I know it's expensive, but look to share a ride to the airport.

When we were last in Termini, waiting for our platform to be announced, which only occurs 15 minutes prior to departure, it turned out to be one of the WAY far away ones--there was a sign in English announcing that the platform was 400 yards away--that's 4 football fields. We had only backpacks and let me tell you that it was a LONG way--not so bad with rolling luggage but still pretty dang far! This train happened to be one that stopped in Civitavecchia although we were going to Tuscany, and I think that is the usual departure area for Civi bound trains.

Cathy

The shuttle bus driver will not drop you off outside of his regular stop. He will only drop you off at the Fort which is a walk to the train station. And the first hour or two he will be very busy with passengers and luggage.

Others here on CC have reported occasional drop-offs at the train station. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I know it's expensive, but look to share a ride to the airport.
The OP made no mention of wanting to go to the airport.

Lew

I thought it might be helpful to describe the walk from the port entrance (where the shuttle buses normally end to the Civitavecchia train station. The walk is approximately 4 blocks, is flat, and once you cross the street from the port it is on a pretty wide sidewalk. In other words, it is possible to do this walk with rolling luggage. However, handling several pieces of luggage in the train stations (and on the trains) is not always an easy task. There really is not a good luggage storage area on the regional trains, and if you are taking an early morning train in the direction of Rome you may find the train very crowded with morning commuters. We once did this with 4 pieces of luggage and had to leave our luggage at the end of the car...which meant I had to "guard" our luggage as we came into each station (always protect your valuables). If you are on a later train that is not crowded it is sometimes possible to just put your luggage on an empty seat (and pray the conductor is not having a bad day).

Hank

Lew:

I have been there 3 times including the middle of a b2b. We used the shuttle service several times. The first two hours are so hectic, the driver is just trying to pick up and drop off passengers and luggage. In that time frame, he will not alter his route. Maybe later after the two hour rush is over. But don't count on it.

Archived