COZUMEL Free beach near cruise port?

Tinkerbellsparkle

I'm thinking of having a scuba trip with my 20 year old daughter. Whilst we are away is there somewhere near the port where my husband and other daughter can chill for a couple of hours, maybe a nice beach? Not interested in a day pass resort, and they won't want to get a taxi on their own. Suggestions would be great. Thanks

I'm thinking of having a scuba trip with my 20 year old daughter. Whilst we are away is there somewhere near the port where my husband and other daughter can chill for a couple of hours, maybe a nice beach? Not interested in a day pass resort, and they won't want to get a taxi on their own. Suggestions would be great. Thanks

Which pier - Allure?

There are no beaches but there are bars if they are willing to walk, or there used to be an inexpensive pass to El Cid next to the port with money back to food and drink, and use if WiFi and pool. Where are you doing Scuba - can they go and wait at the beach there? Taxis are plentiful and easy in Cozumel.

Can you walk into the hotels nearby the port and buy food/drinks and use their beach/pool or do you think it is just for residents?

El Cid La Ceiba Beach, & Park Royal Cozumel are 2 hotels I can see on Google maps, I'm always nervous to go into a hotel that I'm not staying in as I feel like I'm trespassing :o

Which pier - Allure?

There are no beaches but there are bars if they are willing to walk, or there used to be an inexpensive pass to El Cid next to the port with money back to food and drink, and use if WiFi and pool. Where are you doing Scuba - can they go and wait at the beach there? Taxis are plentiful and easy in Cozumel.

Yes The Allure, do you know where it will dock?

I have contacted Cozumel H20, ScubaTony, and ScubaLife, I'm not sure where they all boat from :confused:

Why the hesitation about taking a taxi? :confused: Cabs are well regulated on Cozumel, with the fares to popular tourist spots posted clearly in US dollars on a board near the cab line for your pier.

For about $11 each way they can cab to Money Bar with great facilities, no admission fee, lockers, good snorkeling from the shore, plus good food, drinks and service. Much better option than sitting in some pier bar IMHO.

Have a great cruise! :D

Why the hesitation about taking a taxi? :confused: Cabs are well regulated on Cozumel, with the fares to popular tourist spots posted clearly in US dollars on a board near the cab line for your pier.

For about $11 each way they can cab to Money Bar with great facilities, no admission fee, lockers, good snorkeling from the shore, plus good food, drinks and service. Much better option than sitting in some pier bar IMHO.

Have a great cruise! :D

Hubby is not a confident traveller, I'm the organiser and planner.

Agreed, that does sound like a good option, is this Money Bar Beach Club?

Can you walk into the hotels nearby the port and buy food/drinks and use their beach/pool or do you think it is just for residents?

El Cid La Ceiba Beach, & Park Royal Cozumel are 2 hotels I can see on Google maps, I'm always nervous to go into a hotel that I'm not staying in as I feel like I'm trespassing :o

Allure will dock at International pier. El Cid is next door.

We have done passes to both El Cid and Park Royal. You buy passes at the lobby and need to check in on arrival. Park Royal is only AI so probably not suitable for what you want, although nicer pools and facilities for the day. El Cid used to offer pass for about $20pp with about $15 back to food and drink. (Only estimates best to write for current pricing as it has been a long time since we went.) The rest of fee ($5) covers use of facilities pool, tennis court, loungers WiFi. You might be able to arrange to dive from there also.

Other places you might be able to all go and then you dive, Playa Palancar or Playa Azul but i don’t know how it will fit in with your port hours.

I agree with John and wouldn’t sit in a pier bar, especially at International. There are bars outside of the pier but would require some walking and if he won’t take a taxi I doubt he would be confident walking to the bars. In that case El Cid would probably be best if you split up.

Hubby is not a confident traveller, I'm the organiser and planner.

Agreed, that does sound like a good option, is this Money Bar Beach Club?

Yes - Money Bar. Here's a link: www.moneybarbeachclub.com

Mitsugirly is a frequent poster who has a photo intensive review of both MB and Chank linked in her signature - check them out!

Money Bar is perfect for you. The taxi stations are at each pier, make sure your hubby knows which one his ship is at for return.

No cover to enter Money Bar or use their facilities, chairs tables or bathroom...they do ask you purchase something, like water bottles or drinks as a minimum.

When they are done and ready to return to ship, they tell waiter to get them a taxi and the waiter will literally run out into the street and flag one down. No kidding. That is when you hubby needs to tell the taxi driver which pier... there are 3 piers, and muliple ships at each most days, so he needs to know his PIER, not the name of ship.

Take cash, bills smaller than 20s as they won't be able to make change otherwise. US dollars are fine.

Thank you for all your help, Money Bar sounds great, they'll just have a sandwich and a beer rather than paying a $20 resort fee.

Money Bar is a good option, another of our favorites, particularly if we can stay for dinner and catch sunset.

Not sure if you are referring to El Cid for resort fee (which was only an estimate) but remember that includes an allowance for food and drink which I am sure would cover a beer and a sandwich, before tip. You would need to check current rates to be sure. We have even just done PAYG at El Cid if we were not going to use pool or WiFi.

With Money Bar you are out $22 taxi fare total before you begin and have small, undamaged notes. Unless they plan to share a beer and a sandwich, at the end of the day I doubt there is much difference money wise, “swings and roundabouts”, as they say, from an ex-Brit!

It depends on what they are looking for, how long he plans to stay and where you decide to do your excursion from.