Hooray ! Splendour is Going

Herts, U.K.
5,154 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I'm a huge fan of Oasis class - and have found them less crowded than the other classes. However I think it would be a real shame to see all the smaller ships disappear if for no other reason than the fact that they can get into ports which the big ones just can't get to. It will be a shame if, in the future, every itinerary contains the same limited number of ports simply because the ships are so big they can only go to those same ports.

We had a wonderful cruise on Azamara last year and would go back with them in a heartbeat if the prices weren't so high, simply because we were able to call into ports which the larger ships can't do.
Madrid/Marbella, Spain / Naples, FL
4,432 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Splendour was actually sold to TUI Cruises who will in turn lease her to the Island Cruises brand of Thomson Cruises, which is one of 3 cruise lines operated by TUI AG their holding company.

TUI Cruises is partially owned through joint venture by RCL, the holding company that wholly owns RCI, Celebrity and Azamara.

In turn, they partially own the Splendour.

TUI Cruises has 5 additional new mid-size ships on order to add to their current fleet of 3 and all will be delivered one each year over the next five years. Two of their ships are former Celebrity ships and they have one new build delivered last year.

TUI AG also partially owns Thomson Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, where RCL are not directly involved.

The Splendour will replace the only current ship operated by Island Cruises, the Island Escape.

The Island Escape was operated for years by RCI as the Viking Serenade between 1990 and 2002 and it is fitting that she will be replaced by a RCI ship, Splendour.

Viking Serenade was owned during this time by Norwegian, Wilh. Wilhelmsen Holding ASA and leased to RCI in a similar relationship.

Wilh. Wilhelmsen Holding ASA has always been one of the largest owners of Royal Caribbean.
Michigan
7,714 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by Stateroom_Sailor
Yeah, if it limits RCL's itineraries, I'm not in favor of "the ship is the destination" at all.
Good point - the new big ships have limited ports that suck. We have no interest whatsoever in Oasis or Allure for that reason.

Don't know why anyone would be "happy" to see a ship go.......
4,432 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Ocean Boy
I was pretty socked for a minute that Serenade would be going anywhere. The Radiance class ships are very popular!
The Vision class is extremely popular with some.

Those fantastic aft corner JS terraces are among the best available in the RCI fleet and add in my 'secret' stairway up to the spa and solarium and I am all set.

These are very well designed ships and among the best in their class.
Germany
2,962 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by darthgrady
i wish they'd trade off a few of the oasis and quantum class ships instead.
yes, yes and yes!!!!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming
-Anthem of the Seas - New England/Canada 2018
-Ventura - Canary Islands/Atlantic 2019

Sailed
-Koningsdam - Norwegian Fjords 2017
-Star Princess - West Coast Mexico & USA 2017
-Norwegian Jade - Transatlantic 2016
-Celebrity Millennium - Alaska 2015
-Vision of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2015
-Liberty of the Seas - Western Med 2014
-Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean 2014
-Norwegian Getaway - pre-inaugural 2014
-Emerald Princess - Baltic 2013
-Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean 2013
-Costa Fortuna - Norway 2012
-Costa Pacifica - Iceland & Norway 2012
-Color Magic - Kiel-Oslo 2011
-Costa Deliziosa - Emirates 2011
-Crown Princess - British Islands 2009
-MSC Musica - Eastern Med 2008
-Lili Marleen - Baltic 2006
-Mona Lisa - Norway 2005
-Crown Emperor - Nile River 2005
2,898 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
What strikes me as funny is that we now consider ships the size of Splendour to be "small" ships! I remember when the Vision class were launched they were some of the largest and most luxurious oceangoing passenger vessels ever built. It's funny how things have changed in 20 years! When the Vision and Radiance class ships leave the RCCL fleet for good, so will I. I am not interested in cruising at a suburban shopping mall at sea.

Splendour of the Seas
69,130 GRT
867 feet long
105 feet wide
2076 passengers
735 crew

Vision of the Seas
78491 GRT
915 feet long
106 feet wide
2416 passengers
783 crew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING CRUISES:
Celebrity Summit 7nt Southern Caribbean 12/08/2018
HAL Amsterdam 14nt Great Alaskan Explorer 7/29/2019

49 Cruises / 382 Days at Sea and Counting!
Carnival - Elation 09/12, Freedom 07/14, Glory 03/13, Imagination 11/99, 11/02, Liberty 09/13, Victory 08/00
Celebrity - Century 10/11, Constellation 03/04, 05/13, Equinox 12/17, Infinity 03/06, Mercury 12/04, 09/10, Solstice 12/08, 11/10
Crystal - Harmony 03/02
Holland America - Eurodam 11/09, Noordam 09/07, Oosterdam 11/08, Ryndam 04/11
Norwegian - Epic 10/16, Escape 10/15, Norway 08/97
Princess - Caribbean 03/07, 09/14, 09/14, 10/14, 11/14, 11/14, Emerald 01/12, Golden 12/01, Grand 07/03, Island 10/14
Regent Seven Seas - Navigator 07/01, Mariner 03/01, Paul Gauguin 06/00, Voyager 05/03
Royal Caribbean - Enchantment 05/12, Jewel 11/07, Majesty 04/13, Mariner 10/07, Radiance 11/06, 02/10, Serenade 11/13, 04/14, Vision 11/12
Royal Majesty - Royal Majesty 03/93
Royal Viking Line - Royal Viking Sky 04/86
CT
549 Posts
Joined May 2014
Ive sailed on Brilliance and Liberty, and enjoyed my overall experience on Brilliance much more. Going on Adventure in October and am hoping it is a good mix of my two other experiences. I cant imagine Royal getting rid of Radiance ships anytime soon. Cant speak about ships smaller than that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

France - sometimes UK and USA
1,048 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by DutchCruiseFan
Have you ever sailed on the smaller ships?
Because they're amazing and a lot of people will miss them.
Yes I have several times. I know many people will miss them, but this thread is just my view
Central Florida
112 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by DarthGrady
I wish they'd trade off a few of the Oasis and Quantum class ships instead.
Agree with you!!! Love the smaller and mid-size ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4,432 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by scottamiller
What strikes me as funny is that we now consider ships the size of Splendour to be "small" ships! I remember when the Vision class were launched they were some of the largest and most luxurious oceangoing passenger vessels ever built. It's funny how things have changed in 20 years! When the Vision and Radiance class ships leave the RCCL fleet for good, so will I. I am not interested in cruising at a suburban shopping mall at sea.
I think it is just RCI passengers that refer to them as 'small-ships' due to the development of Oasis. I classify them as 'mid-size' as small ship designates 'luxury' for me. The soon to premier Viking Star is a small ship.

Yes, it was the development of another Serenade, the Silja Serenade passenger ferry that first brought us the 'promenade' in 1990 that was eventually developed into RCI's Voyager and Freedom class ships built at the same shipyard. When I am onboard these ships it is amazing how much they have the same feel as the Scandinavian passenger ferries that were their inspiration, especially if staying in a promenade cabin.

I do understand the popularity of the large ships, but sure hope RCI will keep or develop 'mid-size' ships as well.
Cocoa Beach, FL
26,473 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by delirious9876
No, I hadn't hoped to cause confusion and I resent your assumption that I posted for this negative reason.

You are well off the mark in your assumption about me wanting to cause confusion.

I am simply glad (IMHO) that the smaller ships are going. I don't like them and it'll make more room to keep the bigger better ones (IMHO) coming.
I for one, tend to agree with you. it could be that the time will come that RC spins off all the small ones (relative term) to focus on the bigger ships. it's just evolution. It is difficult to be all things to all people.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up

Harmony of the Seas 9/22/2018 & 9/29/2018
Vision of the Seas 10/18/2018
Enchantment of the Seas 11/16/2018
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/8/2018
Oasis of the Seas 1/6/2019
Oasis of the Seas 2/17/2016
Serenade of the Seas 4/26/2019
Adventure of the Seas 12/1/2019
Mariner of the Seas 1/20/2020

Follow us on Instagram (pics of Bella, Sunrises, Rocket Launches, Cruise Ships, and Cocoa Beach, FL)

https://www.instagram.com/durlandjohn/
south burlington,vt.
3,928 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by DarthGrady
I wish they'd trade off a few of the Oasis and Quantum class ships instead.
....me too.....love the smaller ships, loathe the huge factory ships......
Orlando, Florida
2,878 Posts
Joined May 2007
My non-argument comment seems to have gotten caught up in the argument purge from this thread. SMH
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#bananasinabowlnexttotheketchupandmayo
#hairylegsatdinnerputmeoffthefeed
#ReginaIguanārum
#SoLongMyPepperGrinderOfLove

RHENIUM LEVEL CRUISER

Royal Caribbean ship experiences
Oasis, Harmony, Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Navigator, Mariner, Enchantment, Monarch, Sovereign

Disney ship experiences:
Wonder, Magic, Dream

Norwegian ship experiences:
Getaway
Arizona
2,316 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by John&LaLa
I for one, tend to agree with you. it could be that the time will come that RC spins off all the small ones (relative term) to focus on the bigger ships. it's just evolution. It is difficult to be all things to all people.
This is true. Anytime you make a big changes, you attract new customers and alienate old ones at the same time. If RCL is being pulled in too many different directions, and all are profitable, creating a 3rd mass market cruise line may not be a bad idea either?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
2018 - Celebrity Infinity - Bahamas
2019 - Celebrity Eclipse - Hawaii
2020 - Celebrity Eclipse - South America Repo

Sailed
2011 - Carnival Victory - S Caribbean
2014 -
Navigator of the Seas - W Caribbean
2014 - Celebrity Millennium - Alaska
2015 -
Carnival Elation - Nola & Progreso
2016 -
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda Repo
2017 -
Carnival Pride - Panama Canal / Caribbean
2018 - Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska / Yukon Cruise Tour
Arizona
2,316 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by bouhunter
Good point - the new big ships have limited ports that suck. We have no interest whatsoever in Oasis or Allure for that reason.

Don't know why anyone would be "happy" to see a ship go.......
These the the ports that Oasis and Allure visit, through next year:

Ft. Lauderdale
Nassau
St. Thomas
St. Maarten
Labadee
Falmouth
Cozumel
Barcelona, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Rome
Naples, Italy
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
Marseille, France
La Spezia, Italy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
2018 - Celebrity Infinity - Bahamas
2019 - Celebrity Eclipse - Hawaii
2020 - Celebrity Eclipse - South America Repo

Sailed
2011 - Carnival Victory - S Caribbean
2014 -
Navigator of the Seas - W Caribbean
2014 - Celebrity Millennium - Alaska
2015 -
Carnival Elation - Nola & Progreso
2016 -
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda Repo
2017 -
Carnival Pride - Panama Canal / Caribbean
2018 - Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska / Yukon Cruise Tour
Melbourne, FL
958 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Sorry to see any RCCL ship leave the fleet. I would still sail on Sovereign and Monarch in a heart beat. If they still sailed out of FL that is, I know the ships are still out there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Big Red Boat(1), Sovereign of the Seas(3), Monarch of the Seas(5), Enchantment of the Seas(11), Vision of the Seas(1), Jewel of the Seas(1), Freedom of the Seas(4), Independence of Seas (1), Liberty of the Seas(1), Explorer of the Seas(1), Brilliance of the Seas (1), Majesty of the Seas(2), Celebrity Millennium; Alaska (1) Celebrity Reflection (1) and Celebrity Silhouette (1).
France - sometimes UK and USA
1,048 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by John&LaLa
Thank you John&LaLa
87 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
My DH and I sailed out of Venice last fall on the Splendour, and we loved every minute on it. I personally love the "smaller" ships. We'll be sailing on the Brilliance in April. Can't wait!
The North East of England
3,272 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
[quote=MADflyer;45894101]Splendour was actually sold to TUI Cruises who will in turn lease her to the Island Cruises brand of Thomson Cruises, which is one of 3 cruise lines operated by TUI AG their holding company.

TUI Cruises is partially owned through joint venture by RCL, the holding company that wholly owns RCI, Celebrity and Azamara.

In turn, they partially own the Splendour.

TUI Cruises has 5 additional new mid-size ships on order to add to their current fleet of 3 and all will be delivered one each year over the next five years. Two of their ships are former Celebrity ships and they have one new build delivered last year.

TUI AG also partially owns Thomson Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, where RCL are not directly involved.

The Splendour will replace the only current ship operated by Island Cruises, the Island Escape.

The Island Escape was operated for years by RCI as the Viking Serenade between 1990 and 2002 and it is fitting that she will be replaced by a RCI ship, Splendour.

Viking Serenade was owned during this time by Norwegian, Wilh. Wilhelmsen Holding ASA and leased to RCI in a similar relationship.

Wilh. Wilhelmsen Holding ASA has always been one of the largest owners of Royal Caribbean.[/quote
Thank you for all the information and the ship will still be sailing albeit under another name.