vegetarians on the QM2?

HoosierFamily4

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to eat on the QM2 for vegetarians (no meat, poultry or fish... dairy and eggs are ok). We're taking the WB TA in July and are hoping we won't feel hungry for 7 days :)

Oh, and we're with the masses (Britania).

Thanks!

-K

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to eat on the QM2 for vegetarians (no meat, poultry or fish... dairy and eggs are ok). We're taking the WB TA in July and are hoping we won't feel hungry for 7 days :)

Thanks!

-K

No problem at all, let your head waiter know and he will sort everything out for you.

Thanks for the quick response! How about the buffet dining options? We have two kids, so will probably be skipping the formal evenings for something more casual.

The buffet is a buffet what more can I say? They have vegetable stuff there I suppose. Why would you want to miss the formal dining with your children? Are they vegetarian as well?

The formal dining experience on my recent trip was amazing!

The Britannia Dining Room is out of this world... I am sure the children would love the experience too...! Give it a whirl! :)

Our travel agent told Cunard about our dietary peculiarities when we purchased our tickets. Our first evening out, our head waiter reviewed our needs with us, and throughout our trip the dining room staff was wonderfully solicitous. You'll have no problems.

I agree with what others have said about bringing your children to Britannia on a formal night. Do at least consider it. The atmosphere is anything but stuffy, many children enjoy dressing up for the occasion, and I must say that when they do, they look adorable!

I am vegetarian and loved the food on board. In Britannia there was always one, sometimes two options and they were always very good. Kings Court has choices at every location. Veggie burger was home-made and one of the best I've had.

Enjoy!

Rob

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

-K

Hi HoosierFamily. From my experience, the main dining room menu will feature vegetarian meals (clearly indicated as such). Although I am not a vegetarian, I have ordered the vegetarian dishes on several occasions, and was suprised at how well prepared the food was - very nicely done. Suggestion for non-traditional meal times: go to Kings Court where there is a wide selection of fresh fruit. Select what fruit you want to snack on that day, and bring it to your stateroom -you will not go hungry. Warning: if you stop by Kings Court around midnight for a cup of tea, there will be some very lovely fruit desserts. :)

Thanks for the quick response! How about the buffet dining options? We have two kids, so will probably be skipping the formal evenings for something more casual.

Hi Hoosier Family. You didn't mention the age of your children, but I respect your decision to skip formal evenings, if that is your choice. You have several options for alternative dining venues. In additon to dinning in Kings Court, there are the alternative venues (which carry a surcharge). Room service is another option, although the menu is rather limited. But my husband and I have found that a night in, ordering room service, and watching a movie or reading a book in our cabin can be very nice.

Thanks to everyone for their help! This information puts me at ease and I especially appreciate the tips on the fruit and veggie burgers!

My boys are older (10 and 14), but are pretty resistant to formal affairs (as is my husband). That, combined with the fact that we've been living in Europe for the year and don't even have formalwear with us make me reluctant to push them on this point. We came to Europe on a repositioning cruise last May with NCL. We had a blast on the cruise, but it was very casual unless you wanted to go to the more formal dining room, which was not the norm. We know QM2 is more formal, but it is the only ship going back to the US in the timeframe we need. We really are viewing it as a method of transport (and a vacation), and aren't that drawn to the dress-up part. I'll probably get the boys a sports jacket so they can attend the more casual evenings if they want, but I doubt I'll go all out with a suit.

Thanks again!

Thanks to everyone for their help! This information puts me at ease and I especially appreciate the tips on the fruit and veggie burgers!

My boys are older (10 and 14), but are pretty resistant to formal affairs (as is my husband). That, combined with the fact that we've been living in Europe for the year and don't even have formalwear with us make me reluctant to push them on this point. We came to Europe on a repositioning cruise last May with NCL. We had a blast on the cruise, but it was very casual unless you wanted to go to the more formal dining room, which was not the norm. We know QM2 is more formal, but it is the only ship going back to the US in the timeframe we need. We really are viewing it as a method of transport (and a vacation), and aren't that drawn to the dress-up part. I'll probably get the boys a sports jacket so they can attend the more casual evenings if they want, but I doubt I'll go all out with a suit.

Thanks again!

Ah... No worries...! Hope you have a great crossing... I am sure you will be more than happy with the offerings.

My daughter is a vegetarian and when we travelled on QM2 she was given a menu she could select from, one meal in advance, with a good variety of choices on it.

As others have said, there is always a veggie option on the main menu anyway

I believe I have read that Cunard does not require a suit for your boys. There is an age cutoff around 16 or 18. Am sure a sports coat would be fine for the formal nights.

Enjoy you voyage!

That is correct. Here is how the dress code policy for children is worded on ask.cunard.com.

Is there a dress code for children?

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smartly as possible in relation to the information given.

To view the dress code please see

Regards,

John.

You'll find healthy choices in Britannia(Canyon Ranch specialties)There is plenty of vegetaraian choices in the buffets in KingsCourt. Plenty of salads, etc. are available.

Thanks again!

The kids should be fine with a nice shirt & khaki style pants(NO jeans)Sport jacket should be fine, but they really don't need to dress up. Your husband, on the other hand(resistant as you say he is)needs a good suit for formal nights. A Tux is not required, but a good business suit would be fine for formal nights. A sport coat & tie are the norm for semiformal, without tie for elegant casual. What you were used to on NCL is NOT the norm for Cunard. Each line has it's "schtick" & Cunard's is dressing up more formal(as in olden days of oceanliner travel.)That's the reason most of us here love traveling Cunard. If you don't want to dress up, the Kingscourt at night is fine with dress shirt & khakis(again, NO jeans at night).

My daughter is a vegetarian and when we travelled on QM2 she was given a menu she could select from, one meal in advance, with a good variety of choices on it.

As others have said, there is always a veggie option on the main menu anyway

We're also vegetarians. We chatted with the head chef and had wonderful dishes made for us. We also found that they always have rice & soy milk, you need only request items. If you let Cunard know ahead of time about your dietary needs, they are good about working with you.

All special diets are catered for. Someone at our table was diabetic and every evening the head waiter came with the next days menu for her to decide what was acceptable or to adjust it. I also saw on one trip a table with Jewish people and the waiter discussed menus with them daily.

All special diets are catered for. Someone at our table was diabetic and every evening the head waiter came with the next days menu for her to decide what was acceptable or to adjust it. I also saw on one trip a table with Jewish people and the waiter discussed menus with them daily.

Please note that while all Jewish people are Jews not all Jewish people require kosher food, or the various degrees from Glatt Kosher to avoiding meat but ignoring what goes into the sauce that comes with the fish!

Please note that while all Jewish people are Jews not all Jewish people require kosher food, or the various degrees from Glatt Kosher to avoiding meat but ignoring what goes into the sauce that comes with the fish!

Our plant manager was Jewish, but would never pass up bacon! I asked him about it. He was from the south & his family didn't follow kosher ideals. I loved his southern drawl. So different from the New York dialects I grew up with. I could break into a good Yiddish accent & it would crack him up! I'm not Jewish, but can imitate a lot of dialects on cue. My partner, who's Chinese really hates it when I can do Chinese dialects.

Oy, and not all Catholics are Roman :) I make a joke here. But seriously...

- Special Requirements - special dietary or medical requirements, or if you are pregnant. If you require kosher or halal meals please contact our reservations department on 1-800-CUNARD (1-800-728-6273) no later than six weeks prior to departure.

copied from http://www.cunard.com/New-to-Cruising/Luxury-Cruise-Booking-Process/

Shalom, Assalaam Alaikum , Pax vobisucm and all that jazz.:) -S

You all are amazing! I'll call Cunard this week to make sure they know they have a family of vegetarians on board :) Also, I appreciate the further details about the dress code for kids. I will get them jackets/slacks so they can attend whatever we are in the mood for.

Hope this doesn't make anyone have a heart attack, but what's the policy on a formal Scottish Kilt for the formal nights? That is the one thing my husband will wear with pleasure to formal occasions, as he has a bit of pride in his Scottish ancestry :)

Hope this doesn't make anyone have a heart attack, but what's the policy on a formal Scottish Kilt for the formal nights? That is the one thing my husband will wear with pleasure to formal occasions, as he has a bit of pride in his Scottish ancestry :)
No Sgian Dubhs (Daggers).

An evening dress outfit with kilt would be very acceptable, either with black tie or Jabot and Cuffs.

For less formal occasions, a tweed jacket and tartan tie with his kilt would go down well.

There will normally be quite a few kilts. The only thing that stops more people taking them is the weight factor when flying.

Have a good one!

Stewart

Archived