BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:49 PM.
377 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
We are booked on a Senic cruise next April and will be flying to CDG then on to Budapest. Flying on Delta and they show 1 hour and five minutes between flights, is this do able?
Queens, NY
2,161 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
What time of day? And what gates/terminals? Might be tight if you land in 2E and have to get to 2G where many flights within Europe leave from. Going to G requires a shuttle bus, can't walk there, and going through security again.

In 2013 we flew from JFK to CDG and landed in 2E. We took shuttle bus to 2G, went through security and up to waiting area very quickly. But we landed about 6:30am Paris time so airport was very empty.

Just a week ago our friends flew from Bordeaux to CDG and on to JFK. They had about 1 1/2 hours to change planes. They made it but their luggage didn't. Got their bag 2 days later - but since they were going home it didn't matter.

I'm not trying to be negative just trying to prepare you! I'd check on later flights to Budapest just to be safe - know what you're options are in case plane lands late or you don't make connections. Also a lot depends on how fast you can walk - any problems with walking? Make arrangements for assistance! They will know exactly how to go!! And check on line - CDG has maps & info about changing planes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peg
Viking Forseti 10-4-2014 Bordeaux
Viking Rinda 12-7-2013 Christmas Markets
Viking Neptune 10-21-12 Rhone River
Celebrity Constellation 9-7-2011 Amsterdam-Istanbul
Celebrity Constellation 7-3-2010 Baltic
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2-14-2010 Caribbean
Celebrity Summit 6-16-2008 Mediterranean
SS Rembrant 7-20-2000 St. Lawrence
M/V Atlantic 8-28-1988 Bermuda
Queens, NY
2,161 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Agree with DeeDC - we flew home Bordeaux to CDG to JFK and had an hour and 35 minutes and made connect OK. We did have assistance but even without would have made the flight.

AMS is a smaller airport with gates under "one roof" so easier to manage. I purposely picked AMS to chance at coming home having experienced both CDG & AMS!!

One note about AMS - security is at gate so its only for those on the flight - much faster than a general security before you enter the waiting area. We got to gate, walked right up and immediately went through security - most people waiting had already done so. Plus you're right there - not rushing and wondering how much further you have to go! I agree its much easier!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peg
Queens, NY
2,161 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Terminals E to F - a distance but probably doable with fast walking. SO much depends on your walking ability plus carry-on luggage you have!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peg
New Jersey, the Philly end
7,544 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by FotoPeg
Terminals E to F - a distance but probably doable with fast walking. SO much depends on your walking ability plus carry-on luggage you have!
Plus landing on time, getting off plane quickly and no issues at document checks. It's a definite "maybe."
Los Angeles
1 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
I'm not sure about that short of a time. I arrived at CDG and transfered in the same terminal on the same airline for a trip to Spain. I had one hour and barely made it. You'll have to jump the customs line but nobody really minds. Have your running shoes at the ready!
LEFT COAST
1,434 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by recia
We are booked on a Senic cruise next April and will be flying to CDG then on to Budapest. Flying on Delta and they show 1 hour and five minutes between flights, is this do able?

Sorry, but I believe there is no way you will make it unless you ask on the plane that your Airline orders a Golf Cart to meet you at the gate to whisk you away to your next gate. I have done this at lots of airports and it works great. Good Luck.
47 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We are flying into CDG at 6:30 am on Delta and flying out to Budapest on Air France 1 hr 5 min later. Besides the issue of perhaps getting to a different terminal, what do we face in terms of customs?
47 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Recia, did you make your 1 hr 5 min connection last year? We, too, have that short connection arriving on Delta, 2E, and leaving for Budapest on AF, 2 F
377 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
We made it no problem and even had time to get a screw up in our seat assignments taken care of. We did have a wheelchair for DW, not sure she would have been able to walk that fast. But there were a few others on our flight who also made the connection with out problems.
1,121 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Hey R,

I will never again book a flight through CDG with less than 100 min between planes.

As noted, look at connections in AMS.

Ira
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
VA, MD & FL
6,497 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by edcdcd
We are flying into CDG at 6:30 am on Delta and flying out to Budapest on Air France 1 hr 5 min later. Besides the issue of perhaps getting to a different terminal, what do we face in terms of customs?
Your bags SHOULD be checked through to BUD so I don't think you technically see customs (but see next sentence) at CDG. You do have to see immigration at CDG and get stamped into the Schengen zone (France and Hungary are both in the Schengen zone; no further immigration controls in BUD) and this will take time. Is 65 minutes doable - yes; are you likely to make that connection - NO. I speak from experience (I have had to wait 11 hours for the next flight to Zagreb which did not involve Schengen immigration clearance, and I had more than 65 minutes).

Thom
726 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
I would never book a 65 minute connection thru CDG... If your flight lands at a busy time you are likely to have to have delays in deplaneing. Sometimes there is a delay in getting to gate. Unless you are traveling business it may take 15 minutes after arrival to even get off the plane. You might make it but probably only if you are a great long distance runner 😊😊.
Like a previous poster I would not choose a CDG layover less than 100-120 minutes because I hate to start my vacation sprinting for a plane !!
New York
356 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Most airlines require at least 1-1/2 hrs between connecting flights. We flew Delta several times into Paris. Security was minimal (2F to 2E), but it is a lengthy walk. I believe Paris has tightened security since all the trouble. I would look for a longer time between flights.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank & Pat
New York, NY
---------------
11/18 Viking Hemming - River of Gold / Lisbon to Porto
10/17 Viking Foresti - Chateau, Rivers & Wine
12/16 Viking Vili - Danube Waltz / Passau to Budapest
11/15 Viking Mani - Rhine Getaway / Burges to Basel
11/14 Viking Hermod / Viking Buri - Portraits of Southern France
11/13 Viking Prestige - Vineyards & Vistas / Trier to Bamberg
11/12 Viking Odin - Romantic Danube / Budapest to Nuremberg
11/11 Viking Schumann - Elegant Elbe / Prague to Berlin
10/10 Viking Sun - Rhine Getaway / Amsterdam to Basel (Lucerne)
11/09 Viking Pride - Romantic Danube / Nuremberg to Vienna
8/09 RCCL Explorer of the Seas / Bermuda
8/07 RCCL Western Caribbean
8/06 RCCL Spendour of the Seas /Greek Isles
6/05 RCCL Navigator of the Seas /Western Caribbean
6/04 RCCL Adventure of the Seas /Eastern Caribbean
6/03 CCL - Zenith /Bermuda
6/02 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas / Mediterrean
1,563 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by pflorio994
Most airlines require at least 1-1/2 hrs between connecting flights. We flew Delta several times into Paris. Security was minimal (2F to 2E), but it is a lengthy walk. I believe Paris has tightened security since all the trouble. I would look for a longer time between flights.
I totally agree with this post; I flew Air France and had 1 hour 5 minutes between flights and I was running down the terminal to make it.
They were almost all boarded when I got there. The problem was that we needed to go through immigration and that was VERY slow and with the extra (I am sure now) diligence it would have taken longer.

I will do everything I can to never fly through Paris again; it was very stressful and not a good way to start a vacation, and I have traveled a lot with business and everything that goes with that. JMHO

Best of luck and safe travels to all!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
clb
39 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Hmmmm - Just got our flights through Viking. We will be going through CDG but have 2 1/2 hours so hopefully that will work out!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Experiences
1978 Sitmar Caribbean
1990 Carnival Mexican Riviera
1992 Norwegian Mexican Riviera
2000 Disney Wonder Bahamas
2016 Disney Dream Bahamas
2016 Viking Mani Rhine Getaway (Christmas Markets)

Favorite Land Adventures
1993-Present Maui, Hawaii once a year
1997 Italy w- Trafalgar Tours
1999 London
2000 Honeymoon in France
2014 Norway
Dublin, GA USA
694 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
The problem with a 1 hr +/- connection at CDG is that when arriving from the US, you have to clear immigration, which can be a very long line. In addition there are many remote gate that require extra transit time. If your arrival flight is just a little bit late, you may be in trouble. Experienced business travelers avoid CDG whenever possible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank & Debbie Newman

DEC 1983 - Carnival Carnivale / Bahamas
AUG 1998 - Crown Princess / Alaska
OCT 1999 - Celebrity Century / Western Caribbean
NOV 2000 - HAL Amsterdam / Panama Canal
SEP 2003 - Grand Princess / Eastern Caribbean
JUN 2004 - Diamond Princess / Alaska
JAN 2005 - Carnival Conquest / Western Caribbean
FEB 2006 - Sapphire Princess / Mexican Riviera
JUL 2006 - NCL Star / Alaska
DEC 2006 - Grand Princess / Western Caribbean
DEC 2007 - Crown Princess / Western Caribbean
FEB 2008 - Dawn Princess / Mexican Riviera
NOV 2008 - Celebrity Constellation / Bermuda-Caribbean
DEC 2009 - Island Princess / Panama Canal
JUN 2010 - NCL Jade / Mediterranean
OCT 2010 - Ruby Princess / Transatlantic - Venice to Ft. Lauderdale
MAY 2011 - Golden Princess / Coastal - L.A. to Vancouver
MAY 2011 - Sapphire Princess / Coastal - Vancouver to Seattle
MAY 2011 - Sapphire Princess / Alaska
JUL 2011 - Caribbean Princess - Canada & New England
SEP 2011 - Emerald Princess / Transatlantic - Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale
JAN 2012 - Crown Princess / Western Caribbean
MAR 2012 - Star Princess / Santiago to San Francisco
SEP 2012 - NCL Pride of America / Hawaii
DEC 2012 - RCI Allure of the Seas / Caribbean
OCT 2013 - Royal Princess / Transatlantic - Venice to Ft. Lauderdale
APR 2014 - Ruby Princess - Transatlantic - Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton
JUL 2014 - NCL Star / Baltic Capitals
AUG 2014 - Viking Skadi - Grand European Tour
MAR 2015 - Viking Idi - Rhine Getaway
OCT 2015 - Regal Princess - New York City to Ft. Lauderdale
APR 2016 - Viking Star - Barcelona to Bergen
AUG 2016 - Viking Sea - Athens to Venice

JUN 2017 - Viking Emerald - Undiscovered China
JUL 2018 - Viking Sky - Into the Midnight Sun
OCT 2018 - Viking Sea - Eastern Seaboard Explorer
SEP 2019 - Viking Rinda/Delling - France’s Finest
Texas
253 Posts
Joined May 2016
I agree with the statements above about arrivals with transfers at CDG. I suggest you insist on at least 2 hours for a transfer - no matter what the TA might say.

Be very aware of terminal (as well as gate) changes after you get to the assigned gate. This has happened to me twice with less than an hour for departure. There is a good bit of distance between the terminals. Keep your eye on the gate/departure boards.

Spending a little extra time in CDG isn't all bad. The food there, including macaroons, is surprisingly good.

If you are departing directly from Paris, CDG can be a joy.

However, I now plan to travel only through AMS.