Synagogue in Curacao Sunday Feb 25th 2018

Travelertoo2

My husbandand I will be in Curacao on Sunday on February 25th 2018. We want to see the Synagogue in Curacao. However they are closed but if they haveenough requests they will open the Synagogue. If any one is interested please contact the Synagogue Avery Tracht <rabbi@snoa.com

We will be on the princess.

I agree with Keith1010. It is very interesting and one of the highlights of our visit to Curacao a couple of weeks ago. We are not Jewish and were totally enthralled by the information as were a Jewish couple, also from the ship, that we with walked around the synagogue and museum.

I would also suggest checking and posting on the forum for Caribbean ports as you may catch someone looking there for info that doesn't pay much attention to Roll Calls.

I hope you are able to visit the synagogue!

dickinson, you are very welcome.

The Synagogue has special meaning to me.

I was very fortunate to have taken my first cruise when I was 12 years young when cruising was not robust as it is today and my parents took us there. Forty five years later I returned there and this time with my wife. We also returned the following year.

Cruising has allowed us to visit some of the oldest Synagogues in North American including this one, the one in Barbados and the one in Charleston, South Carolina along with some others around the world along with many Churches.

This is actually my bar mitzvah Tallit and Bag which my parent's purchased for me for at this Synagogue for my bar mitzvah.

P1100135.jpg

As part of our visit my wife and I visited the Beth Haim Cemetery which is the oldest Jewish Cemetery still in use in the Western Hemisphere with tombstones dating back to 1659

DSC_4909.jpg

Often when people think of the Caribbean they don't think about its history.

My wife is not of the Jewish Faith. We both like history.

Keith

The synagogue received enough interest to open on Sunday for our cruise last month on the Royal. Folks on our roll call thread reported that there was also a Jewish Heritage Tour available privately. Here's the info on that: "If you would like a more elaborate private Jewish Heritage Tour of the island (where more sight of Jewish interest are visited), we recommend you contact Mrs. Gigi Scheper at the following e-mail address:giannascheper3@gmail.com."

Keith - Thank you for the additional pictures. That tallit and bag I'm sure is very special to you. I have been to Touro Synagogue in Newport, RI and also the Great Synagogue in Rome. Hopefully if I get to Curaco again it won't be on a weekend. I will be in Barbados next year so will have to look that one up.

Thanks again.

dickinson, you are very welcome.

We have also been to Touro Synagogue but not to the Great Synagogue in Rome and I am adding that to our list to visit the next time we are in Rome.

Keith

The Rome synagogue is not as old (built 1901-1903) but is beautiful. There is a nice museum there too. If we had come about 30 minutes earlier we could have gone on a tour of the Jewish ghetto. Wish I had known. Oh well.

Keith - Thank you for the additional pictures. That tallit and bag I'm sure is very special to you. I have been to Touro Synagogue in Newport, RI and also the Great Synagogue in Rome. Hopefully if I get to Curaco again it won't be on a weekend. I will be in Barbados next year so will have to look that one up.

Thanks again.

Going to Rome for the first time later this year and hope we can see the Great Synagogue of Rome.

I was fortunate to have attended Sabbath services at this synagogue. The synagogue is beautiful, services were good, and getting to know the congregants (and helping them form their minyan) as a fellow worshipper and not just as a tourist was a highlight of the trip.

I hope you can generate enough interest for a tour.

I was fortunate to have attended Sabbath services at this synagogue. The synagogue is beautiful, services were good, and getting to know the congregants (and helping them form their minyan) as a fellow worshipper and not just as a tourist was a highlight of the trip.

I hope you can generate enough interest for a tour.

That is very special and a wonderful way to experience the synagogue.

Keith