Credit card fraud

Lees Cruisin

Having a great time on our cruise then this morning i had a call from lloyds saying someone in the U.S.A has tried to use my card for car insurance for £450. They have froze my card. And i dont have any other payment methods on me. Has anyone experienced this before. Im on a excursion in barcelona at the moment. Straight to reception when we get back :mad:

P&O may have already taken some shadow payments from your card as a hold, so you may be fine for the onboard bill.

Do you have a relative in the UK who could pay the bill using their credit card to the P&O head office, that might be an option.

If not as Jean says they will come up with some sort of arrangement for payment. Don’t let it spoil your holiday.

So sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately yours won’t be the first situation like this which P&O have come across. Have a great day in Barcelona and make your way to reception when you get back on. Something will be sorted for you

Thanks for the replies guys. We have no other cards on us. But i have been to reception, they were very understanding. They have got to speak to the finance manager and they are going to get back to us. If the worse comes to the worse they said they can bill us another way after the cruise. We have another 14family and friends on board, so they can buy the drinks now ;p

Having a great time on our cruise then this morning i had a call from lloyds saying someone in the U.S.A has tried to use my card for car insurance for £450. They have froze my card. And i dont have any other payment methods on me. Has anyone experienced this before. Im on a excursion in barcelona at the moment. Straight to reception when we get back :mad:
We always put a holiday marker on our credit card saying where we will be and also if applicable what ship will be taking payment.

Any ideas when it may have been cloned recently. Did you drive to the port, stop for fuel on the way. Have you used card in any of the ports you have stopped in so far. Not discounting it being done from the ship (in case people say it could have been) just very very unlikely.

We always put a holiday marker on our credit card saying where we will be and also if applicable what ship will be taking payment.

Which, unfortunately, makes no difference whatsoever... If the CC Company algorithms detect an unusual spend then it will act in a number of ways which can include putting a stop on the transaction (or future transactions) until they can contact you.

An example....

You use your card correctly say to buy a Rolex in a Barcelona jewellers.

Your CC computers detect an unusual spend, which could be based on a number of factors including a high value in this instance.

The fact that you've told them you're abroad including in the example that you're in Barcelona will make no difference as they will want to communicate directly with you prior to permitting the transaction. I have known this to happen via my own mobile number or through contact via the vendors phone. If you have no means of contact your card could be blocked until such time as contact is re-established so you'd be wise to ensure that CC Company has your up to date mobile number and that you have your phone with you.

Which, unfortunately, makes no difference whatsoever... If the CC Company algorithms detect an unusual spend then it will act in a number of ways which can include putting a stop on the transaction (or future transactions) until they can contact you.

An example....

You use your card correctly say to buy a Rolex in a Barcelona jewellers.

Your CC computers detect an unusual spend, which could be based on a number of factors including a high value in this instance.

The fact that you've told them you're abroad including in the example that you're in Barcelona will make no difference as they will want to communicate directly with you prior to permitting the transaction. I have known this to happen via my own mobile number or through contact via the vendors phone. If you have no means of contact your card could be blocked until such time as contact is re-established so you'd be wise to ensure that CC Company has your up to date mobile number and that you have your phone with you.

It is good that the credit card security is being aware.

I made 3 large transactions on my Lloyds Debit card once and they blocked the third one but I rang them and it was cleared instantly.

Our credit card company have our contact number and we have made several large purchases abroad including Dubai, Florida, Barcelona etc without any problems.

We experienced CC fraud for the first time last week. Bank accepted it was not us, but it is a nuisance as we have independently arranged a month in Myanmar/Thailand next year with a number of hotels and it is the card we normally use abroad as no extra costs on the card. A couple of the hotels are due to take payment a couple of weeks before we arrive (one after we leave home) and that card was used to guarantee bookings at another couple of hotels and we will need the card on arrival for ID. Hence will have to sort that out after the new card arrives.

We always have at least three cards with us and we have a card each on each account (so 6 in total). Would still be a mess if we had problems when abroad though.

Folks

Think it is not a good idea to tell us who you bank with.

Lees Cruisin sorry to hear about your current problem, would suggest, you look at what you have posted previously.

So much private information! not good in this world.

Only trying to help!

Edited by mercury7289
spelling

Half way across the Atlantic en route to Barbados we were called to the concierge desk to be told that our credit card had been rejected by our bank. Bewildered, we had to wait until reaching Barbados in order to contact the bank. That was enough anxiety to ruin the entire cruise.

Our ship it seemed had the practice of activating each passenger's card with a charge in the amount of one dollar as a test of the card's validity. The bank seeing the most unusual and minuscule amount immediately cancel the card regardless of the fact that the charge was issued by a seafaring cruise line. Two very foolish procedures to our minds.

While we were able to get the whole matter straightened out upon our arrival, neither party would concede the folly of their actions and neither has been patronized by us since.

Folks

Think it is not a good idea to tell us who you bank with.

Lees Cruisin sorry to hear about your current problem, would suggest, you look at what you have posted previously.

So much private information! not good in this world.

Only trying to help!

Good advice.

When I was,working I had a colleague who constantly posted on Facebook. While she was on holiday she put lots of personal information and photos on FB and her home was burgled, the police told her that the thief had probably known that the house was empty because of her FB habit. Definitely a hard lesson because her insurance company refused to pay out because she had "advertised" that her home would have no one living there for 3 weeks.

Good advice.

When I was,working I had a colleague who constantly posted on Facebook. While she was on holiday she put lots of personal information and photos on FB and her home was burgled, the police told her that the thief had probably known that the house was empty because of her FB habit. Definitely a hard lesson because her insurance company refused to pay out because she had "advertised" that her home would have no one living there for 3 weeks.

WOW .... that's a first. I have never heard of this happening before. Something worth knowing and thinking about before travelling.

We were in a cab going to the airport in LAX one time and cabbie was asking us all of 'those' personal questions. And I was answering vaguely and in generalities and my DH was giving details. I was hitting my DH's leg, telling him to shut up. He's going on & on about how we'll be away for 2 weeks .... yadda yadda. Meanwhile I was taking all my rings off and hiding them. It was really uncomfortable how aggressive and detailed the driver was getting with his questions.

a number of years ago a man took out mortgage protection insurance. he then had to claim because of an unexpected heart problem. the insurance company refused to pay because he had not told them his deceased father had a hereditary kidney problem. He had not told them because his father had not told him about the problem and his fathers medical records were confidential. The insurance company was allowed to check those records and did so, obviously seeking a reason to refuse his claim. The story escalated through local news media until it was broadcast on the local BBC TV news programme, at which point the insurance company caved in and paid the claim. The moral of the story is insurance companies will go to extreme lengths to get out of paying.

That’s good to hear. It is an unpleasant situation.

I had an incident with a card (not on holiday though) and it was sorted within hours but was a frightening experience.

My company told me not to worry about where/when my details were obtained, it could have been anywhere and anytime.

With regard to not giving out information, just think of all those cosy chats on a cruise where home/family names/jobs etc are shared across the dining table or in the bar. It is easily done. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys all sorted now. I will not say too much as you so rightly say i shoudnt give out too much info. All i can say is that P&O have been excellent, really excellent in all of this.
You haven't got to give us your pin number,just tell us what happened,lol.

Believe that and I have a bridge you might want to buy.

"A spokesman for the Financial Ombudsman Service said: 'It's possible that your insurance cover could be affected if you explicitly announce your plans on social media.

'You wouldn't put a poster up on your front lawn saying you're going on holiday.'

The Association of British Insurers also warned home owners to 'think carefully about what you put on social media'."

"Police forces have repeatedly warned that would-be thieves will check social media to see whether property owners have said they will be away, before striking while nobody is home."

A quick trip around Google and you will find plenty of quotes like these.

Even without searching I remember a case not so long back where a couple from Lancashire

kept claiming for illness (Noro etc ) whilst on holiday .

The main evidence put to the crown court was facts pulled from social media sites the couple had posted, resulting in a long prison sentence for the pair.

I am not saying they will trawl everyone's media site but they can and do so at times .

Right ,how much do you want for this bridge ? ;p

Lees Cruisin

Glad to hear your sorted now.

When away we carry money top up cards which are nothing to do with our bank or credit cards which we avoid using and stick to using the top up cards.

Not the cheapest option as some will tell you but we feel safer and should we ever get the bad news you got whilst on holiday ,we still have money via these cards to fall back on .

a number of years ago a man took out mortgage protection insurance. he then had to claim because of an unexpected heart problem. the insurance company refused to pay because he had not told them his deceased father had a hereditary kidney problem. He had not told them because his father had not told him about the problem and his fathers medical records were confidential. The insurance company was allowed to check those records and did so, obviously seeking a reason to refuse his claim. The story escalated through local news media until it was broadcast on the local BBC TV news programme, at which point the insurance company caved in and paid the claim. The moral of the story is insurance companies will go to extreme lengths to get out of paying.
Great post and just shows how insurance companies cover themselves.

Thanks for the replies guys all sorted now. I will not say too much as you so rightly say i shoudnt give out too much info. All i can say is that P&O have been excellent, really excellent in all of this.

Pleased it is all sorted for you, hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday now.

I unfortunately have had this happen to me three times - once debit card and the other time two loans were taken out in my name - first for a small amount, which is often a tester to see if it will be accepted and then a huge amount was taken on the same day.

Luckily, at the time of the debit card fraud I had just signed up for online banking and when I logged on a transaction in Canada was showing for a small amount from the previous day. I notified the bank immediately and they cancelled the card and sorted everything.

But with the loans I had no idea until final demands came through my door. The police said that some companies required very little information in order for a loan to be taken out especially these pay day loan companies, and it is very easy to find information online especially with social media!

Insurance companies loss adjusters will look for reasons not to pay out and someone advertising personal information about houses being empty etc would make their job easy to reject claims for burglary.
Also you might not know this but if you have an alarm system and you forgot to turn it on and you got burgled they won 't payout either.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Also you might not know this but if you have an alarm system and you forgot to turn it on and you got burgled they won 't payout either.

We always turn ours on and have outside CCTV as well but you highlight a very interesting point and illustrate how proactive insurance companies are in avoiding pay outs.

We always used to get told to cancel the milk, and papers for the same reasons. The more things change the more they stay the same.

We always used to get told to cancel the milk, and papers for the same reasons. The more things change the more they stay the same.

You still have milk delivered? I don't think that is done in the U.S. anymore. At least, not anywhere I have lived after 1970. WOW, it's a very nostalgic memory for me. I loved getting the milk delivered.