Incredible footage.

Stockjock

Wow that brings back memories. Looked just like my cruise in 1998 to New Zealand/Australia on the old Sky Princess. Some of the crew started calling us the "Skytanic". We had run into a tropical storm and the waves went over the front of the boat. When we actually reached Sidney, some said if the ship was smaller, we would have turned over. The ship was rocking and rolling for 5 days out of the 14 and missed 3 ports. I had booked an outside cabin and 3 days into the cruise they came and closed the porthole covers.

On the same page you referenced, there is another video that I find amazing. Look at this:

http://www.vodpod.com/pod/show_video/142880

and pay particular attention to the shots taken down the hallway of the container ship. It's amazing how much the ship bends and flexes during the heavy seas!:eek: I guess I knew it did it but to see it displayed really hits home!

Sea Hound:D

It's not an NCL ship, but I don't think that I've ever seen a cruise ship tossed about in this manner.

Follow the link for the video...

http://www.vodpod.com/pod/show_video/142848

I have seen this footage before, and also read that this particular ship was disabled and that is why it is being tossed about so much! Scary stuff for sure!!

It's not an NCL ship, but I don't think that I've ever seen a cruise ship tossed about in this manner.

Follow the link for the video...

http://www.vodpod.com/pod/show_video/142848

Holy cow! I was scared just watching it! I cant imagine what the people were feeling who were on it! A couple of times I thought for sure it was going to tip over!

• 3 weeks later...

That video is very distressing! In August 2003, we were cruising on RCCL Explorer of the Seas and had been out running TS Claudette the entire cruise. Our last port was Cozummel -- Claudette caught up with us. Unlike the other ships in port that day, we did not leave earlier to miss the storm. The captain decided that Explorer was a large enough ship to handle the storm. Well....we had a very interesting night. Waves were breaking over the observation platform (the helipad) which was deck five (I think). We went to a balcony cabin on deck seven and were getting wet by the waves. The ship was tossed in the water, and many people became seasick. It took the crew several hours to finally close the outside decks down. People were out strolling, watching the waves, and kids were playing near the pools which were like small tidelwaves as the ship tossed about.

The next day was our last sea day, there was some damage to the ship. Lights were broken on the observation platform, I think someone said they lost some of the deck furniture overboard, chairs were strung all over, etc. People walked around in a daze that day - a very somber mood.

Luckily, the experience did not scare us from sailing.

• 4 weeks later...
That video is very distressing! In August 2003, we were cruising on RCCL Explorer of the Seas and had been out running TS Claudette the entire cruise. Our last port was Cozummel -- Claudette caught up with us. Unlike the other ships in port that day, we did not leave earlier to miss the storm. The captain decided that Explorer was a large enough ship to handle the storm. Well....we had a very interesting night. Waves were breaking over the observation platform (the helipad) which was deck five (I think). We went to a balcony cabin on deck seven and were getting wet by the waves. The ship was tossed in the water, and many people became seasick. It took the crew several hours to finally close the outside decks down. People were out strolling, watching the waves, and kids were playing near the pools which were like small tidelwaves as the ship tossed about.

The next day was our last sea day, there was some damage to the ship. Lights were broken on the observation platform, I think someone said they lost some of the deck furniture overboard, chairs were strung all over, etc. People walked around in a daze that day - a very somber mood.

Luckily, the experience did not scare us from sailing.

:eek:

• 1 month later...

Archived