Shanghai Hop On Hop Off bus vs private tour

subaru94

We will be arriving on the QM2 26th March Wusongkou Cruise Centre early morning and departing 11.59pm. We are tossing up whether to do a private tour to Zhujiajiao Village/Shanghai highlights or to do the Hop On Hop Off bus, the issue we have is there have been some not so good reviews of hop on bus. Would appreciate any feedback that may help us in deciding what to do?:confused:

Personally, as this is your only port day in Mainland China, I would opt for the tour to Zhujiajiao/Shanghai Highlights.

Zhujaijiao is a very attractive and historic "Water Town". It's bound to be a very enjoyable visit. If you can see this and "Shanghai Highlights" on your one day on Mainland China, it sounds like the best of both worlds.

I enjoy the hop on hop off buses in many cities that I travel to, especially if I am traveling solo. Two hop on hop off bus companies that I know of in Shanghai are City Sightseeing and Big Bus Tours. I recently took the Big Bus Tour around Shanghai and found it to be convenient and clean. The audio portal has an English channel and the buses generally run on time, even in congested Shanghai traffic. I paid less than $40 for a 24-hour pass, and for a little extra more, a cruise on the Huangpu River is included.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wondering who you used if you have travelled already and how it was?

Hi Bennybear we ended up doing a private tour with Miki Tours mikitours@outlook.com. There were 4 of us that did the tour MK-B02 full day tour encompassing Zhujiajao ancient water village tour and half-day tour of Shanghai, she was fantastic and we also had lunch at the water village. They met us at the ship but we got dropped off in Shanghai as QM2 had free shuttle buses from ship to Shanghai. The tours are not cheap, but well worth it. Hope this helps.