Captain Bill's World Cruise Continued....

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:01 PM.
Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Just a thought, depending what time you will be arriving in Australia, you might like to check "what's on" in Sydney on that night.

We once planned to stay at Madrid airport, until someone suggested we would be better off staying in Madrid itself. How right they were, our daughter attended an opera, whilst we just walked around soaking up the atmosphere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
Thank you Marion and Yvonne for your comments, and so quickly, too! But since I posted I spoke with Dennis and we talked about whether we needed to actually stay downtown by Circular Quay when our plane arrives. We will be in an out of Sydney several times during our 62 days. So we've decided to stay at Rydges Hotel at the airport when we arrive, then the next morning make our way to White Bay. We won't be doing any sightseeing, just resting up from the long flight. We will then need to go from the airport hotel to White Bay, and then from the ship to the airport at the end of the voyages. Less to plan and worry about.

When checking out shuttle services, I have a lot of problems with getting proper information from them. Super Shuttle says I must call them (USA to AUS) and I won't be doing that. Redy2Go has the weirdest scheduling. If I put a time that I want to be picked up it says a sedan for the two of us will leave at a later time than directed and takes an hour to an hour and a half to get from hotel to ship. I could understand that if we were in a shared van, but a private sedan? I hesitate to book with a company that doesn't take my directions into consideration. Am I stuck with taxis?
No. I used to use shuttles to and fro the airport a lot, just phoning up the day before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Georgia
3,359 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by MMDown Under
No. I used to use shuttles to and fro the airport a lot, just phoning up the day before.
Originally posted by windsor26
Under those circumstances I would expect Taxi to be the way (or Uber) google taxis from airport and ask them (or use their web site quotes) for the price from your hotel to white bay This will give you an idea of what the cost would be Your hotel also would be able to quote a rough estimate I am sujre
Taxis seem the best way to go but still they make me nervous in traffic. I think I'll check out ship transfers since we will be next door to the airport while staying at the Rydges Hotel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)

Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Excited! Have just booked Azamara 14 nights from Singapore to Hong Kong, from 9/12. This cruise has been on my wish list because the ship is small enough to go up river to Bangkok and Saigon. I have been on cruises to ocean ports for these cities, but chose not to do the long bus trips to the cities, but did local activities. It has 3 overnight ports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,432 Posts
Joined May 2008
Excited! Have just booked Azamara 14 nights from Singapore to Hong Kong, from 9/12. This cruise has been on my wish list because the ship is small enough to go up river to Bangkok and Saigon. I have been on cruises to ocean ports for these cities, but chose not to do the long bus trips to the cities, but did local activities. It has 3 overnight ports.

Well done be sure to let us know all about Azamara and the ports
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 6; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 7; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1
Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Well done be sure to let us know all about Azamara and the ports
Thanks Yvonne

I have just discovered that I have been to Koh Samui, Thailand before. I had it confused with Lombok. We negotiated with a taxi driver for four hours around the island, with several stops at beaches - beautiful Happy to do that again.

Azarama ships are same as Ocean Princess which I loved.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

6,432 Posts
Joined May 2008
Thanks Yvonne

I have just discovered that I have been to Koh Samui, Thailand before. I had it confused with Lombok. We negotiated with a taxi driver for four hours around the island, with several stops at beaches - beautiful Happy to do that again.

Azarama ships are same as Ocean Princess which I loved.

I did a fabulous private tour of Koh Samui with friends in 2 open top cars and had a great day But just as we were 20 minutes from the docks the heavens opened and that was the day no one could tender to the ship which slipped its anchor and had to reposition and re anchor and we were 8 hours late leaving due to the weather. Everyone was so good natured about nit although it took so long to get us all aboard it proved that even bad things can be fun. Lovely place

If the Ocean is that same as the old Royal was you will have a great time superb ships
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 6; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 7; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1
Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I did a fabulous private tour of Koh Samui with friends in 2 open top cars and had a great day But just as we were 20 minutes from the docks the heavens opened and that was the day no one could tender to the ship which slipped its anchor and had to reposition and re anchor and we were 8 hours late leaving due to the weather. Everyone was so good natured about nit although it took so long to get us all aboard it proved that even bad things can be fun. Lovely place

If the Ocean is that same as the old Royal was you will have a great time superb ships
WOW That was an adventure you will always remember.

Yes it is an old R ship with 690 passengers. Azamara has just bought a third one (Adonia from Princess, which I was researching cruising on next year).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Georgia
3,359 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Marion, how exciting your new booking sounds! I would love to hear about Azamara after your trip. My ex travel agent told me it was considered an upper premium line. I'd like to hear what their cruises include for the fare. Your cruise begins when mine ends so we will have to chat about it in January.

Happy sailing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandi (no longer from St. Louis!)

6,432 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Cruisin Sal
Keep this going! I sail Thursday on the Grand to Mexico and a coastal.

Sally

bon voyage Sally
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Cruisin Sal
Keep this going! I sail Thursday on the Grand to Mexico and a coastal.

Sally
Bon Voyage, Sally.

Is Grand the ship? How many days? How many ports? I guess you have been to all them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Bon Voyage to Sandi who starts her 28 day circumnavigation of Australia today, to be followed by 3 B2B cruises to PNG, Tasmania and NZ - what a wonderful adventure she is going to have.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Memphis
7,085 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Bon Voyage to Sandi who starts her 28 day circumnavigation of Australia today, to be followed by 3 B2B cruises to PNG, Tasmania and NZ - what a wonderful adventure she is going to have.

Have a great time Sandi!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pam

[email protected]

Carnival Fantasy (Bahamas) 2005
Carnival Fantasy (Cozumel) 2006
Ruby Princess (Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (Progresso/Cozumel) 2009 - 50th Birthday Cruise Review w/pics
Carnival Elation (Calica/Cozumel) 2010 - Review w/pictures
RCCL Liberty of the Seas (Mediterranean) 2011 - In depth Review
Carnival Conquest (Caribbean) Dec 2012 - "The Doomsday Cruise"
Carnival Elation (Caribbean) May 2013 - Davis's First Cruise!
Carnival Dream (Eastern Caribbean) March 2014
NCL Gem (Canada/NE) October 2014 - Just me and mom!
NCL Pearl (Alaska) August 2015 - Our 10th Anniversary - Full review with LOTS of pictures
Carnival Elation (Cozumel) February 2016 - Our Valentine's Day Cruise - Review with pictures including the Chef's Table
Carnival Dream (Bahamas/Key West) July 2016 - Me, Mom and Becky!

Coming up:
Carnival Triumph (Caribbean) June 2017 - Jared's First Cruise!
Carnival Fantasy (Cozumel) May 2018 - Brayden and Peyton's First Cruise
NCL Breakaway (9 Day Scandanavia, Russia & Baltic from Copenhagen) - Sept 2018

Once, on my way to a dream, I got lost and found a better one.
Gold Coast
10,072 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by chasinraynbowz
Have a great time Sandi!!!!
I think that cruise may be on your wish list.

BTW Did you get any damage from the latest hurricane/storm?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion