Carnival Pride Unexpected Disappointment

We just got off the Pride yesterday. My conscience also told me to write a review. This was also our 8th cruise, the 3rd on Carnival. Our expectations for this cruise were very reasonable; getting some rest before starting an other crazy year! We knew the port of calls were not the best, the weather could be an issue and that Carnival is not an high end cruise line... We were also prepared for a fair level of noise; knowing that this was holiday seasons and that our cabin was located just below Lido Deck. Yes I had read post from this site, and had cruised before but there is no way I could have expected what we had do deal with.

Cabin 8237:

As we got to our cabin, we noticed a high level of noise coming from above. The noise level kind of got me worried, but I figured it had to be expected. By the time we went to bed, we knew there was a real problem. It was not just normal walking, talking or chair scratching on the floor. It was all of that plus constant hammering; like if we were just below a construction site. But by 3am, we realized that this was nothing. We then felt like if you were just below a bowling alley. We heard constant banging of metal against metal, cart rolling and hitting the metal counters. Add to this, some yelling and singing. By then, we call guest services. Someone came to our room and said they were to speak to the staff. We were told that it was "normal" as the staff was doing the daily cleaning of the kitchen. I called back guest services about 45 minutes later. Ask for someone to come back to the room. I wanted someone to stay in our room for a little while to get a feeling of the situation. No one ever came back, even when I called on other nights. I went to guest services during the day to ask for someone to come to our room during the night to get a real feel of the situation. No one was interested, I got the feeling that they could not care less about the situation. It got to the point that my husband got into the habit of getting dress in the middle of the night to go complain personaly to the kitchen staff!!!

We are not complainer. I usually sleep like a rock. But this was awful. And yes we had the ear plug (it did nothing, that's how bad the situation was). I cannot believe that management is aware of the situation. Otherwise, I am sure that something would have been done. I have the feeling that management thinks like other blogger from this site that people just want a discount. This is not the case. This cabin as it is now should not be rented out. It is impossible to sleep in it. We did get some compensation and a discount on a future cruise. This is not the issue. We were not looking for a deal. It this had been the case, we would have chosen a lower category cabin...

THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM WITH THIS CABIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we wanted was some rest. We got none.

We just got off the Pride yesterday. My conscience also told me to write a review. This was also our 8th cruise, the 3rd on Carnival. Our expectations for this cruise were very reasonable; getting some rest before starting an other crazy year! We knew the port of calls were not the best, the weather could be an issue and that Carnival is not an high end cruise line... We were also prepared for a fair level of noise; knowing that this was holiday seasons and that our cabin was located just below Lido Deck. Yes I had read post from this site, and had cruised before but there is no way I could have expected what we had do deal with.

Cabin 8237:

As we got to our cabin, we noticed a high level of noise coming from above. The noise level kind of got me worried, but I figured it had to be expected. By the time we went to bed, we knew there was a real problem. It was not just normal walking, talking or chair scratching on the floor. It was all of that plus constant hammering; like if we were just below a construction site. But by 3am, we realized that this was nothing. We then felt like if you were just below a bowling alley. We heard constant banging of metal against metal, cart rolling and hitting the metal counters. Add to this, some yelling and singing. By then, we call guest services. Someone came to our room and said they were to speak to the staff. We were told that it was "normal" as the staff was doing the daily cleaning of the kitchen. I called back guest services about 45 minutes later. Ask for someone to come back to the room. I wanted someone to stay in our room for a little while to get a feeling of the situation. No one ever came back, even when I called on other nights. I went to guest services during the day to ask for someone to come to our room during the night to get a real feel of the situation. No one was interested, I got the feeling that they could not care less about the situation. It got to the point that my husband got into the habit of getting dress in the middle of the night to go complain personaly to the kitchen staff!!!

We are not complainer. I usually sleep like a rock. But this was awful. And yes we had the ear plug (it did nothing, that's how bad the situation was). I cannot believe that management is aware of the situation. Otherwise, I am sure that something would have been done. I have the feeling that management thinks like other blogger from this site that people just want a discount. This is not the case. This cabin as it is now should not be rented out. It is impossible to sleep in it. We did get some compensation and a discount on a future cruise. This is not the issue. We were not looking for a deal. It this had been the case, we would have chosen a lower category cabin...

THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM WITH THIS CABIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we wanted was some rest. We got none.

We were on the Riviera deck on our Pride cruise of 10/2011 and had a big problem with noise above too. This happened on sea days only, making me think that something was rolling around. I decided not to complain as my husband slept fine through it...maybe it was just me being oversensitive. But it did affect my days. I just got up at dawn, collected a few things and went to lounge at Serenity. When I got up there I thought that maybe others had the same problem. There were people sleeping on the couches near the bar. In fact, there wasn't an open space...cause they did look pretty comfy!

I said that I wouldn't sail Pride again unless it was a Bermuda itinerary but I changed my mind and we'll sail again on her in Nov. to Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport. I booked a cabin on a floor where there are cabins above and below. We'll see what happens.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Hope your next cruise is more smooth sailing.

We were on the Riviera deck on our Pride cruise of 10/2011 and had a big problem with noise above too. This happened on sea days only, making me think that something was rolling around. I decided not to complain as my husband slept fine through it...maybe it was just me being oversensitive. But it did affect my days. I just got up at dawn, collected a few things and went to lounge at Serenity. When I got up there I thought that maybe others had the same problem. There were people sleeping on the couches near the bar. In fact, there wasn't an open space...cause they did look pretty comfy!

I said that I wouldn't sail Pride again unless it was a Bermuda itinerary but I changed my mind and we'll sail again on her in Nov. to Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport. I booked a cabin on a floor where there are cabins above and below. We'll see what happens.

The three most important things in real estate: location, location, location! When we sailed the Pride we had an aft balcony, 6262. Nothing but cabins above and below. It was completely quiet. Even with a baby in the cabin on one side and honeymooners on the other. :D

• 5 years later...

:(

I must say that this my 8th cruise was the worst ever. Actually this was the first cruise I was ever disappointed in. Left Baltimore 1-10-10 arrived back from Port Canaveral and the Bahamas on 1-17-10. I wanted to share with readers my experience so as to spare other the same fate. I've never posted before but my concience would have bothered me if i didn't tell my story.

The first night on the Carnival Pride was where it all started. We had a extended balcony room #8237. We went to sleep at 12am only to be awakened at 1am,3am and 5am by extremely load noises on our ceiling. Each time we call guest services and they stated they would look in to it. After a similar second night and repeated calls to guest services they sent 2 people to the room at 2am and said they were going to check out the situation. By now we were having to take midday naps missing out on activities. By the third day i had learned we were underneath a galley on the 9th deck and that the Guest Service reps were asking them to be careful but there was really no way to stop the noise. I asked for another room ,even a inside small room just to get a good night sleep but was told the ship was full. After the 3rd night I became extremely verbal. I and my wife actually considered disebarking in Florida and driving home. Finally on the 4th day we were told there actually was a smaller balcony room and that if we wanted it we may switch. We did immediately. I went to guest services and demanded compensation. This was their compensation for 3 sleepless nights and shortened days. $128.40 total for me and my wife. Yes a whole $20 per person per day. I called them and stated i was not looking for money but compensation of maybe 20% off on a 7 or 10 day cruise to make up for the wasted time. They said sorry but there formula only allowed this amount as the maximum. Anyway this was the main issue but there were other issues that im going to list that contibuted to my worst experience on a ship ever.

1. No PPV movie worked on any day ever, When Guest Services were called they said the had a issue with audio video. They did not have an issue with billing for all the attempts to start one at $8.99 each.

2. The bed in both cabins were well worn out. they all had a sizable depression in the middle

3. The balcony roof on #8237 was literly rusting away with 12 inch pieces hanging down.

4. Something I've not noticed on other ships was that you were no longer able to take you own breakfact bacon or ham. you had to ask for it from the cook making eggs. I can only guess this is a cost saving measure.

This was my 3rd and final cruise with Carnival. I hope others head my warnings and don't get burned the way I was..

Wish I would have looked for reviews on this room BEFORE we cruised. I agree 100% with PAPA BEAR & MAMA BEAR on the noise issue in this cabin. We HAD ear plugs and they didn't help much at all. The issue with this room is that you are directly below the galley for the 24 hour pizza place! I went up to the Mermaid's Lounge to try to see where all the noise was coming from, and the galley door was ajar. I looked in and there are textured tiled floors that are deeply grouted... causing a LOT of noise when the empty pizza pans are taken in on the big metal carts. ( as I was looking in there, one of the workers asked if he could help me, I said I was looking for where all the noise was coming from because we were directly below there, he says 'no noise, just pizza.') It happens every 15 minutes... just as you might be falling asleep. This is NOT your normal cruise noise folks... I have been on 14 cruises including one directly below the lido deck where they drug chairs in every night, and this room was by far the noisiest. I do NOT recommend it. We got very little sleep... even during the day when we tried to nap because it goes on 24 hours! Pick another room.

All I can say about this is, I would expect this kind of feedback had it been your first cruise and you had no idea what was going on....but having been a few times before, several of these items fall in you.

Things like possible noise and ship location, asking for something if you want more, etc. These should have been learned by now.

The movie I can understand, but this is minor. Seems your biggest issue was the room noise. You should know to never pick a room below the galley, above the showroom, above a nightclub,etc. Room location is priority #1..not just where on the ship you are but more importantly what else is by you.

All I can say about this is, I would expect this kind of feedback had it been your first cruise and you had no idea what was going on....but having been a few times before, several of these items fall in you.

Things like possible noise and ship location, asking for something if you want more, etc. These should have been learned by now.

The movie I can understand, but this is minor. Seems your biggest issue was the room noise. You should know to never pick a room below the galley, above the showroom, above a nightclub,etc. Room location is priority #1..not just where on the ship you are but more importantly what else is by you.

As I said in my prior post, this wasn't our 1st rodeo and we had reasonable expectations for noise. This was above and beyond that... not to mention that when I saw the room location I did ask the Carnival representative if noise was a problem considering the location (near steps and elevators) She assured me that there had never been any noise issues reported. RIGHT. Plus guest services said they'd look into it and never got back to me.

I hope someday you can be a little more understanding with others who have reasonable issues. I simply wanted others to know before booking this room.... thought that was what this forum was for.

As I said in my prior post, this wasn't our 1st rodeo and we had reasonable expectations for noise. This was above and beyond that... not to mention that when I saw the room location I did ask the Carnival representative if noise was a problem considering the location (near steps and elevators) She assured me that there had never been any noise issues reported. RIGHT. Plus guest services said they'd look into it and never got back to me.

I hope someday you can be a little more understanding with others who have reasonable issues. I simply wanted others to know before booking this room.... thought that was what this forum was for.

There is a sticky at the top of the CCL forum that gathers information about individual cabins on each ship so that is probably the best place to put the issue since it's always there and easy to find a specific cabin in a search.

I don't mean to be "unsympathetic" but the location is key on a ship. Expecting noise in certain areas is a given, and if you choose a room that is in those areas then you have to expect that you are going to have a problem. Expecting Carnival to compensate you for a bad room choice is a little self-serving.

As others have said, ear plugs are the answer in most cases. I take them everywhere I travel because you not only have to deal with unexpected noises around you, but there are always those inconsiderate people around you too. Try sleeping next to 3 cabins of partying 20 somethings (first-hand experience talking). Crap happens and it is part of travel.

Taking a little precaution on one's own part is just common sense.

Hummm, the OP posted this in 2010, but I guess room noise can still be discussed here, I have had a couple of cruises with loud noise, one near the disco and the other with loud banging of a cart rolling back and forth. Both were not fun:o

My fault for not reading the entire thread but 8237 is right under that pizza kitchen which is opened 24/7

and has been proven to be a noise area. For future cruises and anyone else new to booking cabins space.

only look at cabins that have cabins space above and below you

Most of the carnival representatives that are answering their phones have never been on a cruise let along know their product they are selling-- buy beware

I must say that this my 8th cruise was the worst ever. Actually this was the first cruise I was ever disappointed in. Left Baltimore 1-10-10 arrived back from Port Canaveral and the Bahamas on 1-17-10. I wanted to share with readers my experience so as to spare other the same fate. I've never posted before but my concience would have bothered me if i didn't tell my story.

The first night on the Carnival Pride was where it all started. We had a extended balcony room #8237. We went to sleep at 12am only to be awakened at 1am,3am and 5am by extremely load noises on our ceiling. Each time we call guest services and they stated they would look in to it. After a similar second night and repeated calls to guest services they sent 2 people to the room at 2am and said they were going to check out the situation. By now we were having to take midday naps missing out on activities. By the third day i had learned we were underneath a galley on the 9th deck and that the Guest Service reps were asking them to be careful but there was really no way to stop the noise. I asked for another room ,even a inside small room just to get a good night sleep but was told the ship was full. After the 3rd night I became extremely verbal. I and my wife actually considered disebarking in Florida and driving home. Finally on the 4th day we were told there actually was a smaller balcony room and that if we wanted it we may switch. We did immediately. I went to guest services and demanded compensation. This was their compensation for 3 sleepless nights and shortened days. $128.40 total for me and my wife. Yes a whole $20 per person per day. I called them and stated i was not looking for money but compensation of maybe 20% off on a 7 or 10 day cruise to make up for the wasted time. They said sorry but there formula only allowed this amount as the maximum. Anyway this was the main issue but there were other issues that im going to list that contibuted to my worst experience on a ship ever.

1. No PPV movie worked on any day ever, When Guest Services were called they said the had a issue with audio video. They did not have an issue with billing for all the attempts to start one at $8.99 each.

2. The bed in both cabins were well worn out. they all had a sizable depression in the middle

3. The balcony roof on #8237 was literly rusting away with 12 inch pieces hanging down.

4. Something I've not noticed on other ships was that you were no longer able to take you own breakfact bacon or ham. you had to ask for it from the cook making eggs. I can only guess this is a cost saving measure.

This was my 3rd and final cruise with Carnival. I hope others head my warnings and don't get burned the way I was..

You pick the wrong cabin, blame Carnival, and then whine about getting compensation you should not have gotten to begin with. Good riddance. :rolleyes:

You pick the wrong cabin, blame Carnival, and then whine about getting compensation you should not have gotten to begin with. Good riddance. :rolleyes:

Hi C.N.

Just so you understand, you are responding to a post that is over seven years old. I think by now they would understand. :)

Ive stayed in the exact cabin in question on the Pride twice and its “sister” cabin next door and never experienced the noise level you state.

In fairness then, I want to let others know the noise claims are over-rated.

How’s that? Two divergent opinions and experiences.

I hope more people believe you than me because these cabins (9b) sell fast and they are terrific for the price. The more people who avoid them means more availabllity for people like me that love them and book them without hesitation.

my last cruise was not so fun because of Hurricane Matthew on the Valor, first off we didn't leave until 9 pm that eve and not board til 3, family had flight cancelled due to hurricane and ship was half full (you would think that would be a good thing). The problem was we had an aft extended cabin and they decided to use the empty ship to perform maintenance (painting) which did not allow us to use the balcony hardly at all (paint fumes) and spent 2 days in Nassau and its hard to go to a place to have fun when people are suffering from a cat 5 hurricane the day before. They gave us a 100 pp room credit for next cruise for the balcony issue and everyone got 25 percent off next cruise for the itinerary change I thought it was fair so we are using it for our next cruise in 2 weeks! Everything cant be perfect, not happy about the lobster tails though

Hi C.N.

Just so you understand, you are responding to a post that is over seven years old. I think by now they would understand. :)

wow Never noticed the date on the original posting.

Sorry you had a bad three days. The only thing I find questionable on your review is topic number 4. You realize you can have as much bacon as you can eat, and it is more of a waste saving measure, vs. cost saving. All you have to do is pay attention prior to this and watch rather disgusting people grab 20+ pieces of bacon, and see the throw out big portions of it. My opinion.. the entire buffet should have someone handing you what you want as there is so much waste it is disgusting.