Taxi in Yokohama Port

EUROPEU

Thanks for all the information, it's very much appreciated! :)

I do have one more question - how many people and luggage can a regular taxi fit? We are 3 adults with possibly 4-5 large luggage cases and 3 carry-on cases. If we can't all fit, I assume we need to ask for a van but are these easy to find or would we need to call for one in advance? We'll be needing a taxi from Osanbashi and possibly from YCAT (I assume there's a taxi stand there?)

And is there an extra fee for a taxi van? Thanks in advance!

You will definitely need a van taxi which is called an "Oh-gata takushii". The Yokohama taxi drivers are taking notice of when cruise ships dock. There are usually plenty lined up outside Osanbashi for disembarkation. When you get off at YCAT, ask the people at the YCAT ticket counter to please call "Oh-gata takushii" for you.

The rate is actually the same.

Interested to receive some advise about the cheapest options to get from the Cruise terminal at Yokahama to the bullet train at Shin - Yokahama.

Their will be four of us with ports. We would like to experience the Bullet Train. Alternatively, what is the best way to get from the Cruise Terminal to Tokyo City. Do they have shuttle buses.

I see where somebody has posted about the Airport Limousine Bus Service from Hotel to Airports etc, do they run from Cruise Terminal to Hotel.

I realize that last question is probably best answered by specific Hotel. Fortunately, our daughter, a Japanese speaker is flying to Tokyo to meet us the next day after arrival.

Peter

Interested to receive some advise about the cheapest options to get from the Cruise terminal at Yokahama to the bullet train at Shin - Yokahama.

Their will be four of us with ports. We would like to experience the Bullet Train. Alternatively, what is the best way to get from the Cruise Terminal to Tokyo City. Do they have shuttle buses.

I see where somebody has posted about the Airport Limousine Bus Service from Hotel to Airports etc, do they run from Cruise Terminal to Hotel.

I realize that last question is probably best answered by specific Hotel. Fortunately, our daughter, a Japanese speaker is flying to Tokyo to meet us the next day after arrival.

Peter

Pete,

There are very few options to go from Osanbashi to Shin Yokohama Eki. You said that there are four of you with ports. I'm not sure what that means: suitcases?

In any case, taxi is the best option for you. For 4 people with suitcases, you need either a large taxi van or 2 taxis.

I'm guessing it will cost you around US$40 to get to Shin Yokohama.

The Shinkansen from Shin Yokohama to Tokyo Eki does not go very fast. It is more like a very expensive semi-Express train.

There is also very little space for luggage storage on Shinkansen trains. This could be a problem for you.

You could get much more bang for your money if you took the Shinkansen somewhere else at a later time, without suitcases.

If you want to get into Tokyo inexpensively, there are many options:

Nihon- Odori subway station is a 10 minute downhill walk from Osanbashi. The express train from there will get you to Shibuya in 29 minutes for about 450¥. If you remain on the train, it will take you to Shinjuku 10 minutes later. You should avoid rush hour if you carry suitcases.

Taxi to Yokohama Eki.(10 minutes/20 dollars). Take a JR train (very frequent) to any major station in Tokyo for under 500¥.

You can use the luggage forwarding services at Osanbashi to send your luggage to your hotel, then travel light. Your bags will arrive at your hotel the evening of the same day, or the next morning.

Taxi to Yokohama Eki. Catch the Narita Express to Tokyo Eki. About US$25, 30 minutes. Plenty of baggage storage at the ends of each car.

Most major Yokohama hotels have shuttles into Tokyo. You do not need to be a guest of the hotel to buy a shuttle ticket. Taxi to the nearest Yokohama Hotel and book the shuttle to Tokyo.

There are many more options that may be a bit more complex, but also very inexpensive. Since your daughter speaks Nihongo she should be able to help you with these.

Narita Express will get you to Narita Airport faster than a taxi in most cases.

Especially in traffic.

For those who have time and want the cheapest ride between the cruise terminal and Narita, take the shuttle (if offered) to Takashimako JR station, take JR (change of trains required somewhere) to Tokyo central station or Ginza. There's a new bus service, partially owned/operated by JR, that costs only JPY 1,000. Not the fastest or most convenient but the cheapest for one.

• 5 months later...
It looks like this article I wrote for my FB page would be helpful for this discussion, so I'll paste it below:

Relying on my previous experience as a "Destination Expert" on Japanese ports for a major cruise line, I have written a few articles to address common concerns. I hope you will find the info in this post helpful.

Common Mistakes Made by First-Time Cruisers to Japan –

Part I: Transportation to/from Airport

Many people do not take the time to really understand where the airport is in relation to their hotel and the port, and their wallets suffer the consequences. Spending money on a taxi from Narita to Tokyo or from Kansai International to Kyoto or Osaka is like pouring money down the drain.

Taxis is Japan are safe and reliable but small and EXPENSIVE! A good general rule of thumb is about ¥100/minute or ~US$1/minute. For the amount you save on taxi fare, you can have a very nice, authentic gourmet meal.

By far the most economical and comfortable way to get to/from the airport is to use the airport limousine bus system. These comfy, spacious coaches have plenty of storage underneath for large suitcases and provide door to door service for select hotels.

Read all about the fares, timetables and drop-off points by clicking on the relevant links below:

Tokyo/Yokohama Area

• NARITA (NRT):

o https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/narita/index

• HANEDA (HND):

o http://hnd-bus.com/airport/

o https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/haneda/index

Kansai (Kobe/Osaka/Kyoto/Nara) Area

• KANSAI INTERNATIONAL (KIX):

o http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/index3.html

o http://www.kate.co.jp/en/bestchoice/

• ITAMI/OSAKA INTERNATIONAL (ITM):

o http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/index2.html

Yes, there are train services such as the Narita Express. However, at the very least, these will require you to navigate across at least one large station (10-15 min. walk) and possibly change trains. The elevator could be a long walk on the other end of the platform, etc. So if you have large suitcases and don’t want to start your vacation off tired, stressed and sore, you are better off using the airport limousine bus instead of the train.

This has been very helpful for me - thank you! :)