Glasgow, Scotland Cruise Excursions

ice_berg_ahead

I will be going on a British isle cruise. I have decided on what I am going to do onall the ports except for Glasgow, Scotland. I have narrowed it down to 3excursions that I would like to go on ,but can’t decide between them andwondered if someone has been to any and can offer an up an opinion on them.

The choices are to see/visit:

1.Culzean Castle.

2. Inveraray Castle

3. Falkirk Wheel.

I will be going on a British isle cruise. I have decided on what I am going to do onall the ports except for Glasgow, Scotland. I have narrowed it down to 3excursions that I would like to go on ,but can’t decide between them andwondered if someone has been to any and can offer an up an opinion on them.

The choices are to see/visit:

1.Culzean Castle.

2. Inveraray Castle

3. Falkirk Wheel.

Inverary Castle is quite a journey by road - it is a twisty, windy route that could easily take 2-2.5 hours each way since you need to drive north to reach the head of the loch to drive the same distance south ... It's very easy to lose the will to live on that journey. :)

Culzean Castle is worth seeing and the road from Glasgow is motorway so a more sensible 1.5 hours each way. But, there's not much else to sightsee because you're out in 'the sticks' - perhaps 20 minutes or so to see Rabbie Burns cottage at Alloway.

Falkirk Wheel (and the Kelpies (which is Elaine's nickname!)) is impressive but there's not much else to see in the immediate vicinity. Elaine says that Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument (Braveheart film) with views of Bannockburn from the castle ramparts would make a nice extension to the tour. The road journey is about 1.5 hours each way.

Another option is to try to pick up a tour of Glasgow and its environs - there's quite a lot of history to see but the sites are quite well spread and you'll be hopping on and off buses/taxis and/or the subway to find the attractions. Burrell Collection, Transport Museum at Kelvingrove, the Merchant City in the heart of Glasgow showing the Victorian prosperity that the Tobacco Barons generated. A DIY Walking Tour of the Merchant City looking at the historic buildings can take 2-2.5 hours of sightseeing & photography.

We're assuming you dock at Greenock? If you're docking in Edinburgh (Leith or Rosyth), there's other attractions on the east coast that might offer a more compact tour with less driving time.

Hope these suggestions help - please come back to us if you need any more details. If you can let us know when and where you'll be docking, we may be able to refine the suggestions. There's always the possibility of a whisky distillery visit ...

Steve (Marchie1053) & Elaine (KelpieTravels)

We did the hop-on/hop-off bus in Glasgow and really enjoyed our day there. We went to the maritime museum, Kelvingrove Museum, the Macintosh House, and cathedral. Our ship was docked in Greenock, and we took the train from there and back.