Alaska 2019 which month June -August

cruise.freak

We went to Alaska in June 2015. Planning another trip back in 2019. Looking at the months June, July or August. We had perfect weather on our first trip but really want to see the salmon ladder. I don't want to hit rainy season or be freezing so which months are best to go?

There are dozens of threads here on the "best" time to go. Generally, June and July are the warmest and driest. May is generally dry but cooler. August is a bit cooler. However, two points of note. First, the weather in Alaska is quite variable. Second, you will now get dozens of people coming on with their anecdotal reports. You could Google search a couple of your ports for the factual data...try "Juneau June weather" for example.

Where is the salmon ladder that you want to see? Look at the Ketchikan web site to see when the salmon are running. Too late and about all you see are dead salmon along Creek Street in Ketchikan, too early and the salmon aren’t there yet. There is also a salmon ladder at the Broadway dock in Skagway. Or take the riverboat Discovery tour in Fairbanks for a demo of a salmon ladder.

May and June have better weather. May (historically) has the least amount of rain and then it increases every month after. September will probably have the most.

Salmon don't start running until mid-end of July. I have missed them during the first week of July a few times. Referring to salmon running, not salmon ladder. Not sure where this is.

Good luck. Glad you had good weather the first time!

In early June you may find less people there with many schools in session so that can be a plus.

Keith

Not sure how true this is. In my part of the country, school gets out in May and June is prime vacation time. We also re-start school in mid-August so more people vacation in June than August in the Midwest.

Alaska has never attracted that many kids. There are the same amount of boats in Alaska in June compared to August so I assume around the same amount of people in ports.