Where to Stay Pre-cruise Venice and Post-cruise Rome

VAtravelers100

We are traveling with two other families and would really like advice on where to stay. We're doing a HAL Adriatic Dream Cruise in June.

We do not require an elevator.

We will be staying two nights in Venice pre-cruise. We will have family 1 (one adult and one 4 yr old), family 2 (two adults, two kids 6 and 10), family 3 (two adults, two kids 10 and 15). It would be great to be in a location that makes airport and pier transfers easy given the limited time. I think we'd prefer a hotel with private dock to minimize moving luggage.

Post cruise, family 1 (two adults and one 4 yr old) and family 2 (two adults, two kids 6 & 10) will stay 5 nights in Rome, but family 3 will just stay 1 night.

I will be diving into the endless threads for advice, but any pointers will be so incredibly welcome. Thanks!

Edited by VAtravelers100

So far from what I've seen posted in other threads about Venice, I like the features of being able to take a water taxi from airport directly to hotel dock, and it would be a bonus to be located close to St. Marks Square. Something around $200-$250 would be nice, June dates.

Being near San Marco is relative, as Venice is very easy to get around, either by vaporetto or on foot. Since you'll be in Venice two nights, I suggest you look into the various tourist and vaporetto passes depending on what you want to do.

One good place to look for hotel ideas near San Marco is here: https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/piazza-san-marco-hotels.htm

Your budget is on the optimistic side for high season, and reasonable hotels tend to be small in Venice -- so I'd look hard and try to find something as soon as possible, especially since you need several rooms.

Locanda Orseola is a B&B with its own water taxi landing, great breakfast and well-located. (While I enjoyed staying there a few years ago, I thought it was a bit overdone....)

We also just stayed at a wonderful hotel on the Grand Canal, well located between San Marco and Rialto and with a vaporetto stop at about 50 yards (no bridges!). It's called Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo (at Sant'Angelo vaporetto stop).

You'll be staying in Rome longer afterwards, so you might also want to consider an apartment rental for your group rather than hotel rooms -- just a thought. I prefer hotels but others like an apartment, especially with children. Do you know what area you want to stay in?

While it is not near St. Marco, I might recommend Murano Palace on the island of Murano. We stayed there for one night after our cruise in October and it was lovely! A bit cheaper than Venice itself as well, and nice and quiet in the evening once all the shoppers went home. You can take a vaparetto from the airport and then there are no bridges to cross to get to the hotel. Similarly, you can take a vaparetto to the pier. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the vaparetto stop. I guess the downside would be having to take a vaparetto into Venice proper for sight seeing during the day. The hotel was lovely, however, and very very comfortable with a nice breakfast included.

I searched forever and a few people here on CC helped me. Go to he big booking hotel sites and then map them. Look for something near the water taxi stops. I booked Pensione Wildner which is right there near St Mark's square, on the water with a water stop in front of hotel. I can then take the blue line from the airport to the hotel and from there to the Cruise port.

Venezia - Hotel Locanda Salieri near Piazzale de Roma . Short walk to grand canal and vaporettos, St Lucia station, and Piazzale de Roma for people mover to/from cruise terminal. Good breakfast, in house trattoria and other eateries nearby .

Roma Hotel Smeraldo near Campo de Fori . All the sights are within walking distance, great location . Plenty eateries nearby . Recommend Roscioli, Pier Luigis .

Book direct via Hotel websites to avoid paying middleman commissions .

Venezia - Hotel Locanda Salieri near Piazzale de Roma . Short walk to grand canal and vaporettos, St Lucia station, and Piazzale de Roma for people mover to/from cruise terminal. Good breakfast, in house trattoria and other eateries nearby .

Roma Hotel Smeraldo near Campo de Fori . All the sights are within walking distance, great location . Plenty eateries nearby . Recommend Roscioli, Pier Luigis .

Book direct via Hotel websites to avoid paying middleman commissions .

I 2nd Hotel Smeraldo! Great breakfast included to get your day started and central to everything.

I cancelled my hotel reservation at Wildner and booked Hotel Londra Palace water view since my travel agent got a deal with my flight. Based on maps it looks like same area so I can just take water line from airport to hotel and again from hotel to cruise port. Anyone stayed here? Opinions?

Hopefully someone will reply about your new hotel. We ended up booking at Hotel Becher for Venice and an AirBnB near the Pantheon for Rome (with a backup refundable reservation at Hotel Smeraldo). Thanks for all the recommendations!

I read many rave in reviews of Becher so I am sure you will be happy there. We went to Rome last Sept and loved it ENJOY

So far from what I've seen posted in other threads about Venice, I like the features of being able to take a water taxi from airport directly to hotel dock, and it would be a bonus to be located close to St. Marks Square. Something around $200-$250 would be nice, June dates.

We're cruising out of Venice in June as well. From the hotel research I've done, I'd say your hoped-for price is unlikely. I'd also suggest you book your hotel now, as I've found many of the hotels already have no availability for the dates I'm looking for in June.

I personally know nothing about these hotels but they are priced within your range and you can do the water taxi from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise dock and close to St Marks

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'}

Ca Palazzo

Hotel Lux

San Marco square suite

Hotel Commercio & Pellegrino - a little more but right on water

Hotel Pensione Wildner-a little more but right on water

Hotel Antigo Trovatore - a little more

• 2 weeks later...
I cancelled my hotel reservation at Wildner and booked Hotel Londra Palace water view since my travel agent got a deal with my flight. Based on maps it looks like same area so I can just take water line from airport to hotel and again from hotel to cruise port. Anyone stayed here? Opinions?

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Londra Palace six years ago. It was amazing!