La Spezia to Porto Venere

martyap

I am trying to piece together the information I have been able to get here and on other sites. Could anyone clarify a couple of things? Will be porting in LS off the Symphony, mid October 2018.

1. Is there a cruise line shuttle that takes you out of the Molo Garibaldi port? Where does it stop?

2. From a map if I go left on Viale Italia, keeping the water on my left, I will come to the ferry terminal. If the ferries are running I could take it to Porto Venere or CT.

3. My preference right now is to take the P11 bus to PV. I know there is a bus stop near the library. To get there I would have to go right from the port area to Corso Cavour and continue straight past Viale Garibaldi. That is the P11 bus stop that is referenced everywhere (possibly because it is closest to the train station.) On maps it does look like there are P11 bus stops closer to the port (????)

4. Another option is to take the train to one or more of the CT villages. Right now we merely wanted to head to PV........explore, relax, shop, take pictures, have lunch and then return by bus to LS. Did not really want to get involved with ferries or trains or schedules.

Any advice or suggestions.

Bus P to Portovenere runs half hourly at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour takes 35 mins to get there . Departs from Stop P in Via Garabaldi near corner of Corso Cavour in La Spezia .

Ferries run from near cruise terminal in Summer take 60 minutes, look for schedule on website

http://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/06/complete-cinque-terre-portovenere-la.html#La%20Spezia

Good itinerary is take an early bus t Portovenere and look around, then 1100am ferry from waterfront at Portovenere to the CT alighting at Vernazza, do lunch then take train up to Manarola, then Riomaggiore then back to La Spezia Centrale . CT Rail Pass for the day available at CT Travel Offices in all stations, also get train timetable there,a s Italians change train timetables at the phase of the moon !!!! Riomaggiore to get to waterfront, walk through a pedestrian tunnel parallel to trainli ne back towards La Spezia, then turn right downstairs and under railway to reach waterfront .

Bus P to Portovenere runs half hourly at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour takes 35 mins to get there . Departs from Stop P in Via Garabaldi near corner of Corso Cavour in La Spezia .

Ferries run from near cruise terminal in Summer take 60 minutes, look for schedule on website

http://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/06/complete-cinque-terre-portovenere-la.html#La%20Spezia

Good itinerary is take an early bus t Portovenere and look around, then 1100am ferry from waterfront at Portovenere to the CT alighting at Vernazza, do lunch then take train up to Manarola, then Riomaggiore then back to La Spezia Centrale . CT Rail Pass for the day available at CT Travel Offices in all stations, also get train timetable there,a s Italians change train timetables at the phase of the moon !!!! Riomaggiore to get to waterfront, walk through a pedestrian tunnel parallel to trainli ne back towards La Spezia, then turn right downstairs and under railway to reach waterfront .

Thank you for your response. Our plan was to take the P11 bus to Porto Venere. On the map it looks like about a 20 minute walk to the bus stop on Via Garibaldi......just have to find a tobacco shop to purchase tickets.

The idea of then taking the ferry from PV to CT is great......only concern is that we will be there the third week in October and from what I have read ferries run less often or not at all. In that event, is there enough to see, do, have lunch in PV and then take the bus back to La Spezia? I have read very positive things about PV.

Plan B would be to forget about PV and just use the train and CT pass and visit several of the Cinque Terre villages.

Any thoughts?

If you check the ferry schedules in the link I gave you earlier, the schedules are shown full service up to late September, then a slightly lesser schedule till late October . Even though they are 2017 schedules use them as a planning tool at this stage .

Ar Portovenere it is a very pretty little town in itself . Walk along the waterfront promenade up some steps to a Castle/Church on the point, Lord byrons Grotto, then walk up into the village and another castle overlooking the harbour, then down through town back to waterfront . Ferries also depart from waterfront to Gulf of Poets round trip ,. You can quite easily do Portovenere, and CT by ferry returning by train as per my earlier recommendation, but confine your CT villages to Vernazza, Manarola & Riomaggiore . If you are short on time then just drop Manarola & do Vernazza and Riomaggiore .

• 2 weeks later...
How do you get from the ship to the train station please? Shuttle?

You have to take the port shuttle to the terminal building first. Then you can either walk (app. 20 min), take a taxi or I think a public bus is running too.

For Portovenere I´d suggest to take the ferry which is only 5 min walking from the terminal building. And you can take great photos of the ship on the boat trip. You can take either the ferry or the public bus back to La Spezia. The bus stop (described in a post above) is closer to the port than the train station.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that there are several bus stops that are much closer to the port than the one described near Corso Cavour and Garibaldi. That stop for the P11 to PV is better if you are coming from the train station to grab the bus

Sent from my iPad using Forums