Best clam or fish chowder in each port

lynncarol

We are taking our three teen-age grandkids on a Canada/New England cruise in early July. Ports will be Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax and St John New Brunswick. Since we are on a budget and don't want to take them to pricey restaurants, I thought it would be fun to make it a contest to see where we could get the best clam/fish chowder for lunch. Does anyone have a suggestion for any of these ports? It would be much appreciated.

We are taking our three teen-age grandkids on a Canada/New England cruise in early July. Ports will be Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax and St John New Brunswick. Since we are on a budget and don't want to take them to pricey restaurants, I thought it would be fun to make it a contest to see where we could get the best clam/fish chowder for lunch. Does anyone have a suggestion for any of these ports? It would be much appreciated.

Well, in Bar Harbor one of the best places is the West Side Cafe right on the waterfront... should be down to the right after you get off the tender ship. They've remodeled since we were last there, but it was very good chowder. I've heard good reports about Testa's which is just up the hill from the docks. My mom and I love sitting outside so last summer we went over to the hotel with the bright yellow umbrella's and ate outside. Food was good and the setting was wonderful! :)

There are great chowders all over Nova Scotia. Some people like them thick and creamy. Some prefer a good fishy broth. I do not like chowders thickened with too much cornstarch and I want as much fish as potato.

https://www.novascotia.com/explore/road-trips/chowder-trail

https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/best-chowder/BestOf?oid=10344907

Thanks ladies!

Maryann - I checked out your websites. Who knew there was a chowder trail? But they look like you need a car to get there. Without one, and walking from the port, do you have any more specific suggestions for the Canadian Ports mentioned?

Here are downtown Halifax restaurants with seafood. You can peruse their menus:https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g154976-Halifax_Halifax_Region_Nova_Scotia.html

And here is Sydney: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g154973-Sydney_Cape_Breton_Island_Nova_Scotia.html

And right on the dock there is a place selling fresh lobster.

• 2 weeks later...

In bar harbor I got clam chowder from

Downeast Deli, just a couple blocks from the tender pier. Creamy, good amounts of clam. This is a To go place only, so I brought it back on board to eat. Also great lobster rolls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Check out Beckys Diner in Portland. Take a left once you get off the ship. It is about a ten minute walk. Just a plain diner but great food.

I'll second Becky's for chowder, but more for lobster rolls. I think Gilbert's Chowder House edges Becky's by a nose. Those are the two best within walking distance of the pier. Gilbert's haddock chowder is enough to make you slap your grandma.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We just returned from the cruise 2 days ago. We ended up in Gilbert's chowder house in Portland...not bad. Better was the West Street cafe in Bar Harbor. Everything was so expensive in Boston that we just eat lunch in a food court downtown.