How Warm to Dress on Glacier Excursion in August?

wlee

The weather is looking great for my upcoming cruise on Ruby Princess starting next week, so it looks like I don't have to pack a ton of warm clothes. However, we do have an excursion on Aug 2 in Skagway, the high temp is forecasted to be 74, low is 60, and only 10% chance of rain for that day. Does anyone know what kind of temperature difference to expect on a glacier walk? Will a Columbia fleece jacket over a top and jeans be warm enough?

Thanks in advance!

It is a waste of time, checking weather now. :) extremely unpredictable, and you won't know until you get there :)

Are you also planning on being outside during your glacier sailing day? I find many times, that the coldest, with me, always needing hat and gloves.

But your attire is fine, since I assume you can always add another layer if need be? I do not care for jeans in Alaska, and never take them. They tend to always be damp and don't "dry", with my extended outdoor time. Works well for others.

Thanks. The excursion is taking s float plane and landing on a glacier and walking it, probably an hour or so. So, I won't be able to grab another jacket if I need one. so that's why I'm wondering.

If it's 74 (which you won't know until it gets closer of course), I'd be hot, but different people view temperatures as hot/cold differently. We were on Spencer Glacier in Girdwood last month when it was in the low 50's and had thin fleeces over long sleeve t-shirts plus waterproof jackets and hats/thin gloves. We were slightly warm by the end but we did more than an hour of walking and my wife even went ice climbing.

We also wore rain pants (it wasn't raining) but that was mostly for kneeling on the ice during our helicopter landings, brushing up against the walls in an ice cave and going under a waterfall (and for the ice climbing in my wife's case) so if it's not raining and you're just walking, jeans should be OK, just realize they'll get wet if they come into contact with the ice.

Hope this helps.