How do you label your luggage?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:26 PM.
Húsavík, Iceland
119 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Usually when we travel abroad we mark our luggage with the address of the hotel where we will be staying (+ our permanent address). Now we are flying out to meet our cruise ship. In the case of lost luggage, isn't it wiser to label it only with our permanent address and simply buy what we need (of course our luggage is insured)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
101,691 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
We include our cell phone number and the ship we are sailing with the dates.

Having our cell phone number on the luggage was a big help one time when we had shipped luggage and the luggage tags were removed by customs and federal express was trying to verify what to do with it. Same would apply if we had it with us and say the airline temporarily lost if. The phone number would be very helpful.

Keith
Pennsylvania
6,381 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Home (or business) address on the outside, a copy of the ship's luggage tag placed on top of the luggage contents inside.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
South Yorkshire
341 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
I would never put my address on a luggage label - why tell everyone that the house might be empty.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David
Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,913 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Dear brell,

To travel and label is well and a personal choice.

If I may suggest as we do too;
Having Xeroxed copies of Insurance Policy Number, Passport..etc.. helps as if the outside Tags are dammaged, taken and/or the poiece too they have records of who they belong to too.

Keeping Xeroxed Copies of your passports , credit cards helps as well in case of losses.. and going ashore leaving the Original Passport/ Passport Cards etc.. in the Safe.

Originally posted by brell
Usually when we travel abroad we mark our luggage with the address of the hotel where we will be staying (+ our permanent address). Now we are flying out to meet our cruise ship. In the case of lost luggage, isn't it wiser to label it only with our permanent address and simply buy what we need (of course our luggage is insured)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))
Southern New Jersey
1,115 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I'm with David Owl and 2irisheyes on not putting my home address on my luggage tags.

A while ago, I bought some plastic tags from REI (US chain catering to those doing outdoor pursuits) which cable to the handle of the suitcase. Using a labelmaker, I put on strips with my phone number (I have a UK number that I use abroad, and a US number that I use on homebound flights), e-mail address, and the name of the hotel to which I am going.

I am more concerned about the luggage reaching me before the cruise than on the way home, since I can easily replace anything in the suitcase.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob K.
About to embark
HAL Zaandam Santiago-BA, 8-21 March 2019
Cunard QM2 Westbound TA, 4-11 November 2018
Oceania Insignia Bermuda-New England 25 July-4 August 2018
Already docked
Disney Magic NYC roundtrip 14 October 2017
Crystal Symphony Dover-Reykjavik June 2015, Crystal Serenity Québec-NYC October 2016
Azamara Quest EB TA 27 March 2014
Celebrity Century Scotland-Ireland 2008, Equinox Eastern Med 2009, Summit Bermuda 2010, Constellation Scandinavia/Russia 2010
Cunard QE2 TAs 2001, 2002, 2003, QM2 TAs 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, QV Black Sea 2011, QV Athens Roundtrip 2015, QE Cape Town-Southampton April 2017
HAL Westerdam Western Med 2007, Maasdam Canada/New England 2009, Volendam Australia/NZ 2011, Eurodam Viking Passage WB TA 2014
4,483 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Hi Brell,

We have permanent luggage tags that hold our business card, which also displays our cellphone numbers and email addresses. This number can save a lot of aggravation as Keith noted.

We tape an itinerary on the inside of our luggage in case the luggage has a misadventure. In the case of the WC, we just include the first two weeks.

Looking forward to meeting you on board!

Ricki
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USA
4,833 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Definitely not home address or copy of passports.

We enclose, in each piece of luggage including carryons, a copy of the spreadsheet for the trip, which has hotels, ships and flight info along with our cell numbers, and my email address.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite Cunard Gold

2013-2017 257 nights at sea and counting
We have been blessed to travel to all 7 continents, and around the world.
Coming up:

7 nights Queen Mary December 8-15, 2019 Transatlantic Eastbound
Time in Europe then Getting to Africa by 12-30-2019- Month of January- Safaris
30 nights Oceania Nautica February 3-March 4, 2020 Cape Town to Singapore
Getting from Singapore to New Zealand- Travel New Zealand and Australia
18 nights RC Ovation Of The Seas April 20, 2020 Sydney to Honolulu
Waiting for Ovation schedule- Honolulu to North America

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Húsavík, Iceland
119 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Thank yopu everyone for good advices. We are certainly going to use at least some of them
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USA
4,833 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I also have three luggage tags per piece, luggage strap and Flyertalk tag. At least our luggage is easy to see., bright colors and duplicate tags.

Take pictures of it so if it comes up missing you can show what pieces you are looking for. This has been an assistance at two airports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite Cunard Gold

2013-2017 257 nights at sea and counting
We have been blessed to travel to all 7 continents, and around the world.
Coming up:

7 nights Queen Mary December 8-15, 2019 Transatlantic Eastbound
Time in Europe then Getting to Africa by 12-30-2019- Month of January- Safaris
30 nights Oceania Nautica February 3-March 4, 2020 Cape Town to Singapore
Getting from Singapore to New Zealand- Travel New Zealand and Australia
18 nights RC Ovation Of The Seas April 20, 2020 Sydney to Honolulu
Waiting for Ovation schedule- Honolulu to North America

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,913 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Howdy,

Labelling is so vital and a personal choice.

EG:
My elderly MIL we took her and my FIL on a few cruises.

Twice her luggage was stuck through .."harpooned" by a Fork Lift .

Each time we put her ID and a copy of her Cruiseline/Travel Agency given Luggage tags inside each piece.

Finding her was then easy aboard. So yes guess who had to handle these ?

Once when her luggage bag was destroyed in Florida I had already rented a vehicle and I went to a Walmart near the Saint John river and afyter putting it in my rental we went to the advenyture my MIL/FIL had never been on an AirBoat ( Fan Propelled) and they saw all those Black Gators too.. one even bit thewater- airship//

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))