Fort Lauderdale: How early is it okay to book return flight ?

Janie1229

I am flying out of Ft. Lauderdale on Adventure of the Seas, returning 11/4 at 7a. How early is too early in your opinion to book return flight?

I can get a flight at 10:30a with American and get back home pretty early, or Delta at 11:45a.

I called Royal and was told I can disembark on my own as soon as they dock if I'm carrying my own luggage, which I always do. I either travel with only carry-on, or if I bring my one checked bag, it's only 25" and easy to handle.

Thanks in advance!

I called Royal and was told I can disembark on my own as soon as they dock

They misspoke or you might have misunderstood. Self disembarkation begins once the ship has cleared customs, not as soon as they dock. Usually it's not long, but sometimes it takes a while. Just understand that they don't start letting people off the minute the mooring ropes are tied.

As we found out at New Years if the start is delayed for any reason they make the self disembarkation wait while they get other groups off. We thought we would go off at 8 and it was 10:30 before we walked off the ship. We planned to do something before our 3pm flight but we were so tired of standing in line that we just went to the airport and had a long lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called Royal and was told I can disembark on my own as soon as they dock

They misspoke or you might have misunderstood. Self disembarkation begins once the ship has cleared customs, not as soon as they dock. Usually it's not long, but sometimes it takes a while. Just understand that they don't start letting people off the minute the mooring ropes are tied.

Thank you! They did not misspeak, I did! I do know they have to clear customs first. I've never seen it take very long, and I've only sailed on Princess, but I wouldn't think it'd be different with Royal.

I know-leaving in the morning can be a little risky. I'm looking at 10:30a flight, but I figure even if I don't get off the boat until 8:30a, I'd still be at the airport by 9a, 1.5hrs prior to departure.

I know-leaving in the morning can be a little risky. I'm looking at 10:30a flight, but I figure even if I don't get off the boat until 8:30a, I'd still be at the airport by 9a, 1.5hrs prior to departure.

Only problem with this theory is...there will likely be tens of thousands of others trying to get to flights as well. Immigration and Customs will take much longer if you get off the ship at 8:30, as opposed to being in the first groups off. There will be healthy lines for cabs, and at the airport.

If you look on the Florida Departures board, where this topic is discussed daily, you will find 10:30 is commonly recommended as about the earliest flight you can reasonably catch, but with some key points. Get off the ship in the first groups. Catch a cab. Move with a purpose. If you want that 10:30 flight, you definitely won't be waiting until 8:30 to disembark.

We recently self disembarked from the Royal Princess, as we wanted to have enough time to catch a 11:40 AM flight.

We were given a disembarkation time of 6:45 AM, and process went very smoothly and we arrived at the airport by taxi well before 8 AM.

What we didn't count on was a 4.5 hour flight delay, due to a snow storm up North and therefore, a late arrival of the plane.

The joys of flying in winter!

For the largest of the RCI ships I would do this as they have a very excellent disembarkation process.

For this ship and others while 10:30 is possible and often doable I don't like stress so for me I would not do anything before 11:00 AM because sometimes things go wrong.

JMO.

Keith

As it turns out, I found a very inexpensive non-stop flight on Allegiant which doesn't leave FLL until 5:50p on that Sunday we get back to port. So....now I have plenty of time. Downside is I get home fairly late, but I decided to take the next day off from work, so it's all good :D:D

Good idea Keith, although I'm thinking maybe just take a cab to the Las Olas Blvd area and then another one later to the airport? Any suggestions on where to keep luggage until we check in? Thanks!

In the trunk of the rental car. Kills two birds with one stone.

:)

As it turns out, I found a very inexpensive non-stop flight on Allegiant which doesn't leave FLL until 5:50p on that Sunday we get back to port. So....now I have plenty of time. Downside is I get home fairly late, but I decided to take the next day off from work, so it's all good :D:D

And of course, you are aware of how Allegiant operates, so you understand what you get for your "inexpensive non-stop"? If you're ok with that, congrats!

And of course, you are aware of how Allegiant operates, so you understand what you get for your "inexpensive non-stop"? If you're ok with that, congrats!

I just did some research on Allegiant. Not worth the $$ and non-stop. Darn it! I'll be looking at other airlines now.

Once when we were on a Mexican Riviera cruise, some unfortunate passenger died on the sea day coming up the coast. Nobody, not nobody, got off that ship for hours while they sorted out whatever it was they were sorting out. Stuff happens, and after that I'd never book a flight until afternoon.

I understand stuff can happen. I did call Royal and the ship should be docking at 5:30a and typically you can walk right off after they clear customs etc. I'll be carrying my own luggage. I'm going to book a 10:20a flight back home. Hopefully all goes well and we'll be at the airport by 8:00a-8:30a. :-)

I understand stuff can happen. I did call Royal and the ship should be docking at 5:30a and typically you can walk right off after they clear customs etc. I'll be carrying my own luggage. I'm going to book a 10:20a flight back home. Hopefully all goes well and we'll be at the airport by 8:00a-8:30a. :-)

Yes this will work most of the time. But it is essential you know the procedure you have to follow- IF you are going to miss this flight. Don't think, you'll just get on the next one or that the airline will spend a lot of time and find something for you. It is NOT their problem you missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

We disembarked Silhouette in Ft. Lauderdale yesterday and had a 10:20 flight. We were off the ship at 6:50 (we did not do self disembarkation, and thru customs and TSA by 7:30. Working in our favor: not as many ships in port as usual, we were in a suite so had priority disembarkation, grabbed a porter who got us into the short customs line and right to a taxi, we have TSA pre.

We knew something could go wrong but were willing to take that chance. After all, if it is a major issue causing a long delay a lot of cruisers would miss their flights regardless of the flight time.

We disembarked Silhouette in Ft. Lauderdale yesterday and had a 10:20 flight. We were off the ship at 6:50 (we did not do self disembarkation, and thru customs and TSA by 7:30. Working in our favor: not as many ships in port as usual, we were in a suite so had priority disembarkation, grabbed a porter who got us into the short customs line and right to a taxi, we have TSA pre.

We knew something could go wrong but were willing to take that chance. After all, if it is a major issue causing a long delay a lot of cruisers would miss their flights regardless of the flight time.

Thanks - I'm now looking at a flight that leaves at 11:15am. Our ship is due to get in at 5:50a. My friend and I are going with carry-on luggage only and will walk off the ship with our luggage. Another helpful piece is that we don't have to check in with our luggage and can check-in on-line the day before on the ship, and go straight to security when we get to the airport.

Yes, I am aware anything can happen to delay us. And if that happens, we'll figure it out at that time and get a later flight. If I have to, I'll just take the next day off from work. The flight I want to get is non-stop which I love.