Currently on board Solstice -- some interesting observations

Wine-O

It's been almost a year and a half since we've sailed Celebrity and Aqua Class. Here are some of my observations:

Mast Grill -- still free, but they've added over twice as many tables and chairs that all of the S-Class ships we've sailed have had in the past. You can now get a burger and a dog and find a place to sit to enjoy.

Mast Bar -- Smoke free on Solstice. I great plus to enjoy a drink up there.

Drink Pours. We upgraded to the Premium Package, but unless you ask for a premium pour, i.e. grey goose, they will pour you the well brand. Additionally, they use those little stainless steel shot glasses, so unless you ask for a decent pour, you get a weak drink.

Café al Bacio -- it used to be a stocked bar, but no longer. They have alcohol to make an Irish Coffee and a couple of beers stocked, but if you wanted an after dinner drink, i.e. B&B, you had to stroll down to the Ensemble Bar outside of Murano's.

Upgrade to the Premium package from the Classic. They had a 35% discount once you board, but you have to ask for it. Most offer it for the regular fee, but we asked for a discount, so we both upgraded.

Canapes -- I've enjoyed the ones we've gotten so far. I'm very happy with them. Asked for them every afternoon. No longer the stale chips/hummus.

Internet -- working well in NZ and on our current transit to AUS. Very pleased and able to stream.

Wines -- I upgraded to the Premium package just for the wines. I am very pleased with the current selections of both whites & reds. They had an extensive list for Classic package offers and Premium package offers. In the past they've had one list and only 3-4 of that list were premium wines. I am mostly red wine drinker, and they had around 8-10 different premium wines to choose from.

One minor complaint. Most all the bars have a tub full of beers on ice, but as the sun comes up and the day goes on, the ice melts and the beers sit in a tub of water. While the water is still cold, the first swig out of the bottle is warm. Even tipping a dollar or two a beer, I can't seem to convince them to keep them filled with ice. :rolleyes:

Having a great cruise and weather has been fantastic. Missed all the typhoons. We pull into Sydney Sunday morning and expecting 100% rain. Boo! :(

P.S. As I attempted to post this, both the internet and TV went down for 5 minutes. Back up now. :)

It's been almost a year and a half since we've sailed Celebrity and Aqua Class. Here are some of my observations:

Mast Grill -- still free, but they've added over twice as many tables and chairs that all of the S-Class ships we've sailed have had in the past. You can now get a burger and a dog and find a place to sit to enjoy.

Mast Bar -- Smoke free on Solstice. I great plus to enjoy a drink up there.

Drink Pours. We upgraded to the Premium Package, but unless you ask for a premium pour, i.e. grey goose, they will pour you the well brand. Additionally, they use those little stainless steel shot glasses, so unless you ask for a decent pour, you get a weak drink.

Café al Bacio -- it used to be a stocked bar, but no longer. They have alcohol to make an Irish Coffee and a couple of beers stocked, but if you wanted an after dinner drink, i.e. B&B, you had to stroll down to the Ensemble Bar outside of Murano's.

Upgrade to the Premium package from the Classic. They had a 35% discount once you board, but you have to ask for it. Most offer it for the regular fee, but we asked for a discount, so we both upgraded.

Canapes -- I've enjoyed the ones we've gotten so far. I'm very happy with them. Asked for them every afternoon. No longer the stale chips/hummus.

Internet -- working well in NZ and on our current transit to AUS. Very pleased and able to stream.

Wines -- I upgraded to the Premium package just for the wines. I am very pleased with the current selections of both whites & reds. They had an extensive list for Classic package offers and Premium package offers. In the past they've had one list and only 3-4 of that list were premium wines. I am mostly red wine drinker, and they had around 8-10 different premium wines to choose from.

One minor complaint. Most all the bars have a tub full of beers on ice, but as the sun comes up and the day goes on, the ice melts and the beers sit in a tub of water. While the water is still cold, the first swig out of the bottle is warm. Even tipping a dollar or two a beer, I can't seem to convince them to keep them filled with ice. :rolleyes:

Having a great cruise and weather has been fantastic. Missed all the typhoons. We pull into Sydney Sunday morning and expecting 100% rain. Boo! :(

P.S. As I attempted to post this, both the internet and TV went down for 5 minutes. Back up now. :)

Thanks for posting!

Great observations, Wine-O, thanks! Favor -- since you're talking beverages there any chance you could find a printed breakdown of the beverage packages and what drinks and mixed drinks are included? The ones I keep seeing -- such as this one: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2491731&highlight=classic+premium -- are outdated, which is too bad as they are super helpful! I know the drink limit for Classic is $8 now, and I understand certain items have been moved to the premium package. Trying to decide if I will need to upgrade. If you could get your hands on a current one, I'd be forever indebted!

The drink limit for the classic is $9 on most cruises (some cruises leaving from the UK it's more because they jack up the price of drinks to include the grat). I don't think there's been a change to the packages since April 2016.

That's surprising about measuring the drinks. No one measured the drinks on Solstice when I was on her a year ago - they were all very generous with the free pouring. Hope it's not something new.

Why is Solstice sitting in the harbour now - was that planned?

The drink limit for the classic is $9 on most cruises (some cruises leaving from the UK it's more because they jack up the price of drinks to include the grat). I don't think there's been a change to the packages since April 2016.

I've got a Caribbean cruise on 24 hour hold right now, and one of the perks included was the Classic Beverage Package. I clicked on the "details" link which says: Classic Beverage Package Option Includes Beer Up To $6 Per Serving, Spirits, Cocktails, And Frozen Drinks Up To $8 Per Serving, Wine By The Glass Up To $9 Per Serving...blah blah blah.

I wonder if something is about to change with the beverage packages? This cruise is for January 2019. I don't need specialty cocktails, but I'd like to be able to get basic tropical drinks, a mojito, a margarita, etc.

I've got a Caribbean cruise on 24 hour hold right now, and one of the perks included was the Classic Beverage Package. I clicked on the "details" link which says: Classic Beverage Package Option Includes Beer Up To $6 Per Serving, Spirits, Cocktails, And Frozen Drinks Up To $8 Per Serving, Wine By The Glass Up To $9 Per Serving...blah blah blah.

I wonder if something is about to change with the beverage packages? This cruise is for January 2019. I don't need specialty cocktails, but I'd like to be able to get basic tropical drinks, a mojito, a margarita, etc.

Probably just an old link. That was the old system, it changed nearly 2 years ago to a flat $9 per drink. And they started allowing the classic package to pay the difference for drinks over $9.

Probably just an old link. That was the old system, it changed nearly 2 years ago to a flat $9 per drink. And they started allowing the classic package to pay the difference for drinks over $9.
Oh, goody! I looked at some online bar menus and saw several basic drinks for $8.50, so I was feeling a bit discouraged. Haha. Thanks for the info. ;p;p;p;p

Thanks Wine-O!! Good information to know! We are on the Silhouette in November 2018. We plan to hit the Martini Bar immediately upon embarkation, and wait to be approached about upgrading our Classic perk to Premium. We were already considering it, but is certainly worth asking if they offer a discount...Enjoy your cruise!!:cool:

Ha! You are making the mistake of assuming Celebrity's website is accurate and up-to-date. Unfortunately this is not the case. :(

Ha! You are making the mistake of assuming Celebrity's website is accurate and up-to-date. Unfortunately this is not the case. :(

believe it or not, I checked and it is up to date. They could have random links that point to outdated stuff but if you actually go to the beverage packages section it is up to date. Shocking, I know;)