Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:27 PM.
Tucker, Georgia (Atlanta)
1,458 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
We usually just plan our own transportation but we arrive to San Pedro and need to get to LAX on a Saturday. Not in a hurry - plane does not leave until 3. If we sign up for the Princess transfer, is it likely we can leave the ship at a late disembark time? The LA traffic has me a bit nervous and not sure I want to Uber - we have had some bad Uber experiences here in Atlanta.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
upcoming cruises:
Celebrity Silhouette, The Baltics May 2015
HAL Zuiderdam, Venice to Istanbul Sept. 2015

past cruises:
Celebrity Infinity Wine Cruise Oct. 2014
Celebrity Silhouette Italy and Croatia Oct. 2013
Alaska Oosterdam June 2013
Celebrity Constellation: Wine Cruise, France, Spain, Portugal Sept. 2012
Azamara Journey: Rome to Lisbon Oct. 2011
Celebrity Eclipse: Western Caribbean, March 2011
Azamara: Rome to Athens, Oct. 2010
Azamara: Rome to Barcelona, May 2010
GCT River Cruise: Provence and Cote d'Azure, Oct. 2009
Oceania Nautica: Athens to Istanbul, May 2009
GCT River Cruise: Danube, Budapest to Prague, Oct. 2008
Celebrity Constellation: Barcelona to Venice, May 2007
Carribbean crusies on Celebrity, RCL, HAL and Costa!
pa
7,362 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by suec12
We usually just plan our own transportation but we arrive to San Pedro and need to get to LAX on a Saturday. Not in a hurry - plane does not leave until 3. If we sign up for the Princess transfer, is it likely we can leave the ship at a late disembark time? The LA traffic has me a bit nervous and not sure I want to Uber - we have had some bad Uber experiences here in Atlanta.
Princess transfer. You just request the disembarkation time you want. Once you are outside you go to where the Princess transfer buses are parked and the staff will tell you which one is going where you want to go. You board and wait until the bus is filled.
You can also book a transfer on line with one of the shuttle services like Prime Time or Super Shuttle.
If there is traffic it will be there for whatever service you take.
20,456 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Assigned disembarkation time by PSD for Princess airport transfers are usually based on guest-provided flight times. You may probably be given the latest shuttle departure time within their guideline. Suggest you discuss it with the PSD when onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
California
277 Posts
Joined May 2016
We had a transfer from San Pedro to LAX and our meeting time was like 10:15. I don’t think it gets much later since they need everyone off the ship to turn it over and start boarding for the next cruise. Oh and our flight was at 5:30. Long afternoon at the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nov 2017 - Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
Sept 2018 - Grand Princess - Alaska
April 20, 2017 - Caribbean Princess - Europe
October 22, 2006 - Mariner of the Seas - Western Caribbean
August 4, 2002 - Grandeur of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Somewhere On Earth
2,070 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I don't know about LA, but usually at a disembarkation port, Princess offers a 'Transfer Tour' (during the last couple of days of the cruise) that drops you off at the airport if you are departing after a certain time in the afternoon.

While I've found transfers to be pricey (I never book them), these 'transfer tours' (at least the ones I've done) have been interesting and a good value.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sent from my cave using smoke signals after rubbing two sticks together to make fire.
San Antonio spaceship earth
7,583 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
We were in San Pedro last month. We were one of the last group to leave the ship as we were in no hurry. Our flight did not leave LAX until 6 PM. We exited the terminal, went to the curb where Super Shuttle had a shuttle waiting, paid them $35 for the two of us going to LAX. Since we had a late flight, of course they made the trip in record time!

Princess did offer a side trip to Long Beach starting at 9 AM with an arrival time at LAX of 2 PM. It was an "on your own" tour of the pier, Queen Mary and aquarium. The cost was around $50/each.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010, 2017; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018, 2019; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Crown 2013, 2017; Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Royal 2014; Star 2014; Regal 2016
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
13,007 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Your best bet would be to do a Princess tour with airport drop off but you have to have a flight after a certain time period and they're sticklers about that. Maybe someone who has cruised recently can tell you about that since you don't find out about it until you're onboard.

They like to get the airport transfer people off the ship and on their way. If you don't (or can't) do a Princess tour, you'd do MUCH better staying on the ship as long as you can (latest is about 9:30am) then taking a taxi to the airport. Or, a late shuttle that would hopefully make some stops to use up time. We prefer PrimeTime Shuttle over Super Shuttle. PrimeTime's vans are generally nicer and newer: https://www.primetimeshuttle.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - 42 Completed Cruises so far
Upcoming Booked Cruises:
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & Jewel OTS
And possibly another couple cruises in between those above!
3,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We disembarked in San Pedro in February. As previously mentioned there was a Super Shuttle waiting to pick up pax as they came out of the terminal.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a Princess transfer and just pick up the Super Shuttle
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My travel blogs --
personal travel blog - Travel Snippets and More
general travel info blog - Travel Ideas. Travel Hints. Travel Warnings.