[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:42 AM.
League City, TX
40,115 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by cruisequeen4ever
I'm confused about this bonus multiplier. Does it increase the OBC redemption or just cruise discount?

The new feature allows you a bonus when you apply your points to past Princess charges on your credit card up to 180 days after the purchase has been made.

It is applying your points to past purchases instead of to OBC on a future cruise.
287 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by dshimizu
Don't believe that we can get this card either. Unless someone knows different?!?

If that's true then it's even moe unfair that only Yanks can get it!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Burlington Ontario
137 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by dshimizu
Don't believe that we can get this card either. Unless someone knows different?!?
I had the same problem. It lets you enter a different country for citizenship but not for address - weird.

It also only allows a US SIN number.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

California
41 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by caribill
The new feature allows you a bonus when you apply your points to past Princess charges on your credit card up to 180 days after the purchase has been made.

It is applying your points to past purchases instead of to OBC on a future cruise.
Thank you Caribill. Now I understand.
10,855 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Shoot. We just redeemed 40000 points for $500. But thanks for the info. We are Princess Visa fans.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1203 days ~ 121 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
pennsylvania
516 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo
Shoot. We just redeemed 40000 points for $500. But thanks for the info. We are Princess Visa fans.
Guess I am not understanding what the difference is. I am feeling reaaaalllly stupid here.

As an example using the above, what would you have gotten had you waited until November? We have upcoming cruises coming due and want to do it correctly. What exactly extra do you get and where does it show up on board the ship?
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
6,074 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by mellon1
Guess I am not understanding what the difference is. I am feeling reaaaalllly stupid here.

As an example using the above, what would you have gotten had you waited until November? We have upcoming cruises coming due and want to do it correctly. What exactly extra do you get and where does it show up on board the ship?
I've never received the similar offer and when I go to the Princess CC website I only get the same old numbers.
I think I'll wait it out to see what comes down.
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,786 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by floridalover5623
I've never received the similar offer and when I go to the Princess CC website I only get the same old numbers.
I think I'll wait it out to see what comes down.
Me too...maybe it's only for specific clients.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
6,074 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
Me too...maybe it's only for specific clients.
Could be only for the big spenders...which we're not. It take us a year of building up points to have enough to cash them in for a few hundred dollars.
10,855 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
I got a mailing today that the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa credit card program will "updated to make it even more rewarding" starting in early November. And the best part is: it really does make it better! You will still earn rewards at 2x for purchases on Princess [and also on other World's Leading Cruise Lines -- meaning all Carnival Corp brands] and 1x on all other purchases. But now when you redeem your points against Princess purchases [only Princess, not the other CCL brands] you will get a higher multiplier for larger redemptions. Previously you got 1% up to $500, 1.25% $501–$3,000, 1.5% $3,001–$7,500, and 2% for redemptions above $7,500. Now you bump to 1.5% at $2001, and to 2% at $4,001. [I also note that they no longer charge Foreign Transaction Fees – this seems to be old news, but when I got the card there was a 3% charge]. What these changes mean is that if you use the Princess credit card to book your cruises, you can get a total of 4% discount between the 2x earn and the 2% redemption -- that is a very good deal!
We just received our updated Reward Rules in today's mail. They are written in a very complicated manner (and DH and I have Finance backgrounds) and we've just spent an hour trying to figure it all out. Most confusing is that Points are discussed but the enclosed table only shows Dollars. I'm still confused about that.

My interpretation of these changes are that they are very bad. First, Princess purchases used to always bring 2 points per dollar, plus a bonus over 40000 points. No longer. Now the 2 points per dollar requires at least $4001 in purchases in the prior 180 days. $4000 or less in purchases offer 1.5 points or less. A minimum of 5000 points is required to redeem the minimum $50 reward (this is the part that confuses us...points vs. dollars).

The changes having a negative impact:
- the 180 day look back for purchases. Redeem within 180 days or lose the points. Don't have 5000 points to redeem? Lose the points.
- the $50 redemption increment. While the new terms specifically state that 5000 points bring a $50 reward (which, again, we can't reconcile to what is stated in the table in the document), if one has 7850 points, one can only redeem 5000 of them. Then, either use the card to get the points up to 5000 again within 180 days, or lose them altogether.

We had 18750 points yet to redeem. We just today redeemed 10000 of them for $100, under the existing terms. Before 11/1, we will purchase another $1300 from Princess (either FCCs or onboard spending) and immediately redeem another 10000 points. Since we use the card only for Princess purchases, it may not make sense for us to use it at all in the future. That's too bad, as we used to get $500-$1000 back every year on our Princess purchases.

If anyone else has a different interpretation of the confusing new terms, please discuss it here. I want to believe it's not as bad as it seems, but I remain unconvinced that any credit card company really does want to make its terms more advantageous for its customers.

ETA: Also, the 2x points are only on Princess purchases. Points can be redeemed for any CCL brand cruise...but only at 1%. We get at least that much on our other credit cards.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1 happy cruiser!!
pennsylvania
516 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We just received our updated Reward Rules in today's mail. They are written in a very complicated manner (and DH and I have Finance backgrounds) and we've just spent an hour trying to figure it all out. Most confusing is that Points are discussed but the enclosed table only shows Dollars. I'm still confused about that.

My interpretation of these changes are that they are very bad. First, Princess purchases used to always bring 2 points per dollar, plus a bonus over 40000 points. No longer. Now the 2 points per dollar requires at least $4001 in purchases in the prior 180 days. $4000 or less in purchases offer 1.5 points or less. A minimum of 5000 points is required to redeem the minimum $50 reward (this is the part that confuses us...points vs. dollars).

- the 180 day look back for purchases. Redeem within 180 days or lose the points. Don't have 5000 points to redeem? Lose the points.
- the $50 redemption increment. While the new terms specifically state that 5000 points bring a $50 reward (which, again, we can't reconcile to what is stated in the table in the document), if one has 7850 points, one can only redeem 5000 of them. Then, either use the card to get the points up to 5000 again within 180 days, or lose them altogether.

We had 18750 points yet to redeem. We just today redeemed 10000 of them for $100, under the existing terms. Before 11/1, we will purchase another $1300 from Princess (either FCCs or onboard spending) and immediately redeem another 10000 points. Since we use the card only for Princess purchases, it may not make sense for us to use it at all in the future. That's too bad, as we used to get $500-$1000 back every year on our Princess purchases.

If anyone else has a different interpretation of the confusing new terms, please discuss it here. I want to believe it's not as bad as it seems, but I remain unconvinced that any credit card company really does want to make its terms more advantageous for its customers.

ETA: Also, the 2x points are only on Princess purchases. Points can be redeemed for any CCL brand cruise...but only at 1%. We get at least that much on our other credit cards.
We also got ours. I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like what you are talking about and what the changes are if you apply it to your credit card balance and not a Princess cruise.

Has anyone called Barclay?
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
6,074 Posts
Joined Nov 2015

Thanks for you interpretation. They've made it simple for me. Cash in what I've got for the next cruise & get another credit card with simpler instructions. They not the only credit card company out there.
1,987 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I don't believe the points are use-or-lose; the rule before was two statement cycles or not yet paid in full. Now you can apply points to "pay off" a previous charge from Princess, WLCL or airlines, up to 180 days back, regardless of payment status. It appears to be similar to "purchase eraser" from other issuers.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the big win here: self-service redemption.
10,855 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by VibeGuy
I don't believe the points are use-or-lose; the rule before was two statement cycles or not yet paid in full. Now you can apply points to "pay off" a previous charge from Princess, WLCL or airlines, up to 180 days back, regardless of payment status. It appears to be similar to "purchase eraser" from other issuers.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the big win here: self-service redemption.
Confused again about this. We've always had self-service redemption by using their website. Do you mean something else?

And the table states 'Princess Purchase Amount within last 180 days'. I take that to mean Princess purchase amounts 181 days and older do not have any point redemption value.

I have not called Barclay, mostly because I am cynical and don't believe their customer service reps will have a full understanding either. I'm probably wrong about that, but I am kind of with FloridaLover on this one: make it straightforward or I'll find a card that does.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1 happy cruiser!!
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
6,074 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I'm surprised that they allow a bank to issue a card that needs a Philadelphia lawyer to understand their rules. Doesn't the banking commission have a say about things like that? Even all my insurance companies have reissued their policies written in plain English.