Lessons Learned by a Newbie

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:47 PM.
Southern California
3,550 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Appreciate your tips...doing our first QM2 westbound on July 21. We have done over 50 cruises, but this one has us a little worried and intimidated about the dress code for evenings. So I keep reading everything available to reduce our anxiety! Don't want to be judged or delegated to the brig.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

LAST FEW CRUISES
Queen Mary 2 - TA July 2017
Pacific Princess TA/Norwegian Fjords June 2017
Royal Princess Southern Carribean Nov 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam Malt Shop Memories Oct 2016
Crown Princess Calif Coastal Sept 2016
American Queen - Mississipi River Cruise March 2016
Celebrity Constellation - TA Nov 2015

TOTAL CRUISES: 59 AND COUNTING....
Dover, Kent
14 Posts
Joined May 2017
Thank you Harold, this is really helpful, we are going on our first cruise in September on the QE. The trouble you have taken to write this review has possibly saved us the embarrassment of doing something silly and has certainly saved us wasting time in unnecessary queues.
Melbourne, Australia
2,604 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
What a very thoughtful and relevant review! It reminded us of our first cruise and it was on QM2 as well so thank you for bringing back those special memories. Your review has a lot of good information that I am sure lots of others will appreciate, both those new to Cunard and to those of us who have done a few cruises on Cunard. And now you realize how addictive cruising is and how special Cunard is as well!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barbara

Previous cruises:
QM2 - Mediterranean Delights May 2009
QE - Aegean Introduction Nov 2010
Volendam - Pacific Treasures Feb 2012
QM2 - WC Segment SIN to MEL Feb 2013
QE - WC Segment SOU to HK Jan 2015
78 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Denn1,
I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy your voyage on the QM2. If you don't mind, I would like to share one other thought regarding your time on the ship. When we first told our family and friends about our Trans-Atlantic (TA) crossing plans, almost everyone had the same reaction, "what will you do all day with no ports". This kind of spooked us. Fortunately it was about that time we discovered CruiseCritic. There were a number of threads that addressed this concern and even went to the trouble of posting the daily activity newspapers from their past TA voyages on the QM2. This was extremely helpful. However, without realizing it, the pendulum swung too far the other way. As we start listing all the activities we wanted to do, we began to overstuff the burrito. Had we continued down this course we would have spent our seven days running from one activity to another and not really relaxing and enjoying each other's company and the opportunity to appreciate where we were. The first morning we finished breakfast, went for a 40 minute power walk on the Promenade Deck, then sat for an hour in the deck chairs. In the Afternoons we would hit the Deck 8 Terrace hot tub for an hour. This became our daily routine with the exception of one day when we had gale force winds. We limited ourselves to one indoor activity (speaker, demonstration, etc.) in the morning and one in the afternoon. This schedule worked great for us. However, everyone is different. We saw folks who filled their days with non-stop organized activities and were perfectly happy. So I guess my point is, it's not a race to check off as many boxes as possible. Set your own pace, be flexible and enjoy.

Harold
30 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Thanks again Harold Ive printed both your reviews off so my wife and I can read them at our leisure, We're also on deck twelve and would like to hear your comments on that deck. Dennis
78 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Denn1,

We liked being on Deck-12 and especially liked our cabinlocation 12.022. It was south facing (E-W TA) and far enough forward as toavoid hearing the live band at the pool but far enough back so as to have minimal pitchingas the QM2 road the swells. Initially we were concerned that being so high upwould exaggerate the ships roll. At 100’+ above the water, every degree of rollwould equal about 2’ of movement. We had no problem with either pitch or rollmotion. Fortunately, we had only one day of bad weather with Force 8 (galeforce) winds and very high seas but even on this day the motion was never anissue. This is what defines an ocean liner over a cruise ship. Deck-12 is now under the new Deck-13 but we never heard any noise fromthe folks above. Also be aware that Deck-12 cabins run less than half thelength of the ship so there is no direct access to Elevator Bank C or D. Notonly was this never a problem but I think it also made Deck-12 a little be lesstraveled and quieter. Direct access to the indoor pool area is a niceconvenience. If you are in the A2 category I would recommend cabins 12.020through 12.028. If you are in A1 I would recommend 12.030 through 12.040.
30 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Hi Harold, Thanks for the information on deck 12 very informative we have already booked the cabin 12009 and realy looking forward to the cruise and hoping to put the good information given to practice. Dennis.
78 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Denn1,
Hope you pick up this reply. You mentioned above that you were on a Nov. TA on the QM2. Would be very interested on your experience and how accurate or beneficial my comments/observation were.
Hope you experience was as great as that of my wife's and mine.

Harold (aka Jack)
91,626 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I didn't catch this thread the first time but wanted to post to say how much I enjoyed reading it and how helpful it is for those sailing the QM2 for the first time.

Keith
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
Oh well, I had hoped they'd gone for something more to my liking.

Many years ago, friends wanted to cruise for their anniversary and asked us to sail with them because we were experienced cruisers. We got them hooked, and enjoyed many cruises with them. So, yes, share the addiction!!
I'm also a cunard newbie travelling next year. I'm also hoping to do a TA cruise 2019 so your post is really useful.

We are thinking December 2019 TA and debating whether to do East/ West or vice versa. We plan to have a few days in New York before travelling home to the UK

Are there benefits to one or the other TA crossings in December, east/west or west/east, with regard to length of time on board for example?

So glad you enjoyed the cunard experience.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app
Pennsylvania
5,835 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
You're on a Westbound 10 hours longer than an Eastbound due to clock changes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Kansas City
446 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by corporate services
Sorry to hear that someone criticized your dancing - good, bad or indifferent everyone is entitled to hit the floor and have fun, it's not a competition.
No, it is not competition. However, everyone should be aware of and practice basic ballroom etiquette/rules, particularly with regard to floorcraft, so that your dancing (good, bad or indifferent) does not prevent others on the floor from enjoying their dancing experience. For inexperienced ballroom dancers, where you locate on the floor is more important than how well you dance.
California
124 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Aspidestra99
I'm also a cunard newbie travelling next year. I'm also hoping to do a TA cruise 2019 so your post is really useful.

We are thinking December 2019 TA and debating whether to do East/ West or vice versa. We plan to have a few days in New York before travelling home to the UK

Are there benefits to one or the other TA crossings in December, east/west or west/east, with regard to length of time on board for example?

So glad you enjoyed the cunard experience.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app
In your case, WB makes sense, because it will allow you to enjoy your time in NY without the effects of jet lag. The only other reason to choose WB (assuming no other constraints) is for the extra hour of sleep each night.
Portugal
82 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Thanks for your no-nonsense review. Really enjoyed reading your comments...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PHOTO BLOG: https://vagporto.wordpress.com

4/June-11/June 2016 - HAL Rotterdam - Norse Legends, Norway Fjords, Rotterdam roundtrip - Review
13/Feb-20/Feb 2016 - MSC Musica - Persian Gulf, Dubai roundtrip
1/Aug-8/Aug 2015 - Cunard Queen Victoria - Greek Islands, Istambul to Rome - Review and comparison to HAL
27/May-3/Jun 2015 - HAL Volendam - Alaska Inside Passage, Vancouver roundtrip - Review
San Miguel de Allende
15 Posts
Joined May 2013
Thank you for your excellent review, which I somehow missed in it's original posting life.

We're in 13018 in two weeks' time, and have never been that high before on the QM, so your remarks on your Deck 12 cabin (particularly during the gale) have been of great help!
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
825 Posts
Joined May 2011
Lovely review. Also for not so newbies or first time TA.
How mean for someone to comment about your dancing skills. I can't dance and don't enjoy it, but on the ships I make an effort for my wife.
Stephen Hawkins would dance better than I, but if someone would say something, i would spike their afternoon Earl Grey.... 😉