Lessons Learned by a Newbie

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:52 PM.
UK
1,997 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by alc13
In your case, WB makes sense, because it will allow you to enjoy your time in NY without the effects of jet lag. The only other reason to choose WB (assuming no other constraints) is for the extra hour of sleep each night.
However, if you were to fly to New York and then sail home you could shop to your heart's delight (or what is in your wallet!) and not have to worry about paying for excess baggage!! The only disadvantage (?) of sailing home is that the ship loses the hour at midday which can sometimes cause chaos with planning. Lunch, afternoon tea and dinner are suddenly somehow compressed, especially if you are on the 1st sitting.

Having said that, we managed very well with all the meals; probably too well
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
Live in Loveland CO and work in Boulder CO area.
291 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Another thing you did right: Research your trip before your trip.

Great review, thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Randy
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by RandyinDEN
Another thing you did right: Research your trip before your trip.

Great review, thanks.
I am in a quandry now. No jet lag or no baggage allowance worries... Hmmm.

I can see some interesting conversations with my husband prior to booking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app
48 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by BobBranst
No, it is not competition. However, everyone should be aware of and practice basic ballroom etiquette/rules, particularly with regard to floorcraft, so that your dancing (good, bad or indifferent) does not prevent others on the floor from enjoying their dancing experience. For inexperienced ballroom dancers, where you locate on the floor is more important than how well you dance.
It is not only inexperienced ballroom dancers who prevent others on the floor from enjoying dancing in the Queens Room. The ones who think they are experienced but have no concept of social dancing are the main culprits at this.
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by corporate services
It is not only inexperienced ballroom dancers who prevent others on the floor from enjoying dancing in the Queens Room. The ones who think they are experienced but have no concept of social dancing are the main culprits at this.
The thread regarding inexperienced ballroom dancers made my heart sink as an infrequent waltzer I was really looking forward to some 'proper" dancing.

However after reading the etiquette article it's just a case of common sense, consideration and tolerance. I didn't realise the direction of travel was counter clockwise - a very useful tip.

My husband is an excellent ballroom dancer and possesses various awards from his youth although he would never advertise this.

For myself as the possessor of a pair of dyslexic feet I plan to take some lessons before our cruise to save my partner's toes and my blushes.

48 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Aspidestra99
The thread regarding inexperienced ballroom dancers made my heart sink as an infrequent waltzer I was really looking forward to some 'proper" dancing.

However after reading the etiquette article it's just a case of common sense, consideration and tolerance. I didn't realise the direction of travel was counter clockwise - a very useful tip.

My husband is an excellent ballroom dancer and possesses various awards from his youth although he would never advertise this.

For myself as the possessor of a pair of dyslexic feet I plan to take some lessons before our cruise to save my partner's toes and my blushes.

I'm in pretty much the same boat here, my husband is a very experienced dancer, I just hang on!!