QM2 to host film premiere

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:40 PM.
Pennsylvania
5,835 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Wow.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Vale of Glamorgan
3,629 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Welcome to Cruise Critic, I am sorry to hear that you are so upset about this but I wouldn't have thought a delayed departure constitutes breach of contract.
I hope you can make the best of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Northvale,New Jersey
933 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by marmitecat
Cunard won't talk to me about this. Or our travel agent, it seems. Taken our cash for a Princess Grill, so an expensive trip, but now there's the lure of making a quick buck by renting out the ship. Or at least space on the ship we've paid to use. And they pretend this is somehow exciting for the suckers left with second best. I think they're in breach of contract and should do something significant to make amends. Our boarding time is noon, 12 hours ahead of departure. Who will pay the $100 bill for a return cab trip back to Manhatten? Can't see us booking too quickly again in future - shame as the Atlantic crossings have been fun previously. Cunard's arrogance and cynicism have already spoiled the trip for us.
I don't blame you. The QM2 is built to be a passenger carrying Ocean Liner used for crossings and cruises not to be a floating movie theater being used for Hollywood premiers. Hollywood itself has it problems with its recent scandals that is turning off people from going to the movies. I myself will not go to the movies anymore because of this recent scandal, high movie ticket prices and other reasons which I don't want to reveal what these other reasons are. What publicity does Cunard think that it will get by holding this film premier aboard its Flagship the QM2? Another question I'm asking is who's idea was it to have this film premier aboard the QM2? Cunard or 20th Century Fox? I hope that Cunard did not come up with this idea. I guess that if 20th Century Fox did ask Cunard use of the QM2 I know that Cunard probably said yes for a fee thinking that they could use the income from the movie studio. It is interesting to note that this coming December will be the 20th Anniversary of the release of the movie Titanic and that 20th Century Fox was also involved in the production of that movie. And at that time 20th Century Fox did not call Cunard to stage the film premier of Titanic aboard Cunard's then Flagship and the only Ocean Liner doing transatlantic crossings the QE2. Remember that Cunard and the Titanic's owner the White Star Line did merge in 1934. 20th Century Fox presented the film premier of Titanic at the Tokyo Film Festival. Regards,Jerry
Ireland
448 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by flatcircle
My TA is contacting Cunard to answer that same question. I'll post when I hear a reply.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard next
9 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
It isn't just the delayed departure that offends, its the fact that some - and I suspect a lot - of public areas will be out of bounds on the first evening.
Arrogance on the part of Cunard - they'll obviously make more in terms of cash and (perceived) prestige, so why bother that they're grabbing something repeat customers have already paid for?
They speak of "valued customers" in their correspondence. The real valued customer is the film company and its large cheque. When that gets waved around, they lose interest in regular passengers. But I bet they'll continue to bombard us with brochures. Well, more fool them.
The fact they won't talk to me, our travel agent or the firm selling the overall package speaks volumes, I think.
Northvale,New Jersey
933 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by marmitecat
It isn't just the delayed departure that offends, its the fact that some - and I suspect a lot - of public areas will be out of bounds on the first evening.
Arrogance on the part of Cunard - they'll obviously make more in terms of cash and (perceived) prestige, so why bother that they're grabbing something repeat customers have already paid for?
They speak of "valued customers" in their correspondence. The real valued customer is the film company and its large cheque. When that gets waved around, they lose interest in regular passengers. But I bet they'll continue to bombard us with brochures. Well, more fool them.
The fact they won't talk to me, our travel agent or the firm selling the overall package speaks volumes, I think.
I am glad that the QM2 was built and I do understand the income that Cunard will get from this film premier. But you are right that to make up for this silly film premier charade, Cunard should make it up to loyal passengers like you aboard the QM2 for this Dec. 8th crossing being disrupted by this silly film premier charade by offering a discounted fare for a future crossing or cruise. Regards,Jerry
The New Forest, Near Southampton, England
1,204 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
I will be on this sailing. Very exciting for me, just have to stay up to watch us leave NY. Sure it will give us an extra buzz for the evening. Plenty of other days on board to explore...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diamond Plus Member
Honiton, Devon, England
208 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by English Rose
I will be on this sailing. Very exciting for me, just have to stay up to watch us leave NY. Sure it will give us an extra buzz for the evening. Plenty of other days on board to explore...
This sailing will be the return leg of our Caribbean cruise to Southampton so with the later departure we are rather hoping for some extra time in lovely NY fingers crossed, if my DW also catches a glimpse of the stars in the evening that would be a bonus.
Wisconsin
280 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Pavovsky
any idea on what is the latest time we can board if departure at midnight.

Cunard just updated my TA. Latest boarding/check in at 4pm (starts at noon). Everyone must remain on board for the muster drill which will take place at the normal time.
Ireland
448 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by flatcircle
Cunard just updated my TA. Latest boarding/check in at 4pm (starts at noon). Everyone must remain on board for the muster drill which will take place at the normal time.

Thanks. Thoughts are board late (4pm) and then post Muster droll get the ferry into Wall Street area or just stay on board and relax.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard next
9 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Cunard still won't talk to us about this! No response to email (should be within four days). No response to call back request (should be within 24 hours).
Yet they have the audacity to call us "valued customer" in emails. The only value Cunard attach any importance to is money and clearly a Hollywood film company is giving them rather more than we are. So despite having paid up, we get elbowed aside to make way.
Aside from that situation, our check in time is noon, so what happens if we turn up at 3pm?
Also what time is the muster - its a few years since we've done this trip, I'm thinking just before the 5pm departure?
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Pennsylvania
5,835 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
If you show up at 3:00 you'll breeze aboard because almost everyone shows up at 12-1 regardless of their suggested time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,858 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Dear Hostess Hattie,

Thank you Maam for all your doing and it is well.

We arrive back on the QM-2 too the A.D. 2017 , 8th of December, Friday we would have left Black Sunday November 26th.

The Old Navy Pier 12 which became a Road Salt pier and the last Brooklyn Borough President Marty made all us area Cruisers happier with more cruise ships and a great area too.

Across is Governors Island , part of Manhattan and the NPS.gov ( National Park Service) m which was the first settlement and fort started by that Moon Ship.. yes Henry Hudson, under the Dutch Flag.

A FYI: This island was used as well to pasture sheep, goats, and cattle which could wade across before the US Navy dredged so as US Navy Warships could come about here right before World War Two.

Are you coming over what was the Old Cod Pond now ?

Originally posted by Host Hattie
http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...y-2-1005709839

Sounds fun and hopefully not too disruptive to those sailing on December 8th.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))
Wigan, Lancashire
264 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
All very interesting and as a "Cunard luvvie", I rarely complain (normally little to complain about), but I do feel that there is a certain arrogance with regards to the cruise in question. To take people's hard earned money for to some what may well be the trip of a lifetime and then to forbid them to visit certain parts of the ship for Cunard's ends seems out of order.

There may be some "glitz and glamour", sailing out of New York at midnight should be a wonderful sight, but when people originally booked the cruise they should have been made aware of the possibility of restrictions of access to parts of the ship on certain occasions.

David
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska - Regal Princess - May 1999
Baltic - Crown Princess - May 2004
Mediterranean - Sea Princess - 2006
Canada & New England - Grand Princess - October 2008
Fjords & North Cape - Grand Princess - May 2011
Mediterranean - Queen Victoria - October 2011
Europe, Arts & Craft Cruise - Ocean Countess - May 2012
Fjords & Waterfalls - Queen Victoria - June 2012
Azores & Canary Islands - Celebrity Eclipse - Oct 2012
Atlantic Isles Discovery - Queen Victoria - May 2013
Fjords & Waterfalls - Queen Victoria - June 2013
Wonders of the Mediterranean - Queen Victoria - October 2014
Lusitania Remembered - Queen Victoria - May 2015
Spain & Italy - Queen Elizabeth - October 2015
Spain and France - Emerald Princess - May 2016
Iberia & Canary Islands - Queen Elizabeth - Sept 2016
France & Spain - Crown Princess - May 2017
Queen Elizabeth 2's 50th Anniversary - Sept 2017

Future Cruises:

Queen Victoria - Baltic Highlights - August 2018
Lancashire
20 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
We are on that cruise (actually the round trip from Southampton) but as of tonight we haven't heard a peep from Cunard - not even the letter everyone else seems to have received by email - Cruise Critic should bill them for the communication service
Philadelphia, PA
144 Posts
Joined May 2004
> We are on that cruise (actually the round trip

You know, I think at least one other passenger who hasn't received the email is on a back-to-back. Are you booked on M745, or some other cruise number? I'm wondering if Cunard only sent the "premier email" to those booked specifically on M745.
24 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by davef65
We are on that cruise (actually the round trip from Southampton) but as of tonight we haven't heard a peep from Cunard - not even the letter everyone else seems to have received by email - Cruise Critic should bill them for the communication service

I've not heard a word either........

Jennie
London
66 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
This has been an interesting read. I have to say I understand the disappointment in Cunard over this situation. I have never done a transatlantic cruise, and if this was my first or even one of many, I think I would be upset. I think everyone on board should be given some compensation, be a free bottle of wine/ free cocktail or at the very least, be given an exclusive showing to the film, i.e just for the guests on the ship. It’s the very least they could do considering they are disrupting the sailing of the ship. I feel for everyone affected by this. And wish Cunard would think more about their customers than the money they make from this.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2: July - August 2008
Queen Victoria: October 2009
Queen Elizabeth: November - December 2010
Queen Elizabeth: October 2011
Queen Mary 2: June 2012
Queen Victoria: June - July 2013
Queen Mary 2: December 2013
Queen Mary 2: June 2014
Queen Elizabeth: December 2014
Queen Elizabeth: October 2015
Queen Victoria: June 2016
Queen Mary 2: November 2016
Queen Victoria: December 2017
9 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Still no response from Cunard to our requests for a phone back or written emailed reply to our concerns. No surprise there, of course. Our travel agent has still had no response after making the same enquiries on our behalf.
Nice firm to deal with, after taking customers' money, refuse to talk to them when the goalposts are moved. Something all should remember.
And the muster time will remain as normal, meaning boarding times can't just be shifted back by six or seven hours. Muster could be done later, of course, under normal circumstances with a midnight departure. But we wouldn't want fare-paying passengers getting in the way of the film premiere, would we?
Arrogance and cynicism in its purest form from Cunard, I'm sad to say.
London
66 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
On the website it is still available to book, however doesn’t not state anywhere about the film premiere, surely they should be stating this before people try to book the cruise.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2: July - August 2008
Queen Victoria: October 2009
Queen Elizabeth: November - December 2010
Queen Elizabeth: October 2011
Queen Mary 2: June 2012
Queen Victoria: June - July 2013
Queen Mary 2: December 2013
Queen Mary 2: June 2014
Queen Elizabeth: December 2014