Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:29 PM.
1,113 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by pms4104
You'll be interested to note, should you search for Royal cruises in 2018, none currently are designated as Medallion.
They were when booked. Now past final payment date. Princess should have notified people sooner. We still haven’t been notified so maybe they will try to go ahead on the Royal.
boca raton fl
1,179 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by MrSchwump
I just got the email and called. They wouldn’t give me the credit now. They said they’re looking at what to offer as compensation. We don’t sail until 2/18.
The lady I spoke with in Cust Service said we’d get something but did not know what it would be. She said she’d contact me in a couple of weeks once they know what they’re giving.
I just got my credits, the amount depends on what you paid for the cruise, received credits for my 12/10 & 01/21 sailings. .
38 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
If anyone has a picture from the princess website that shows a royal cruise in March of 18 with the medallion banner, please post it as they are now denying it was a medallion cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums
5,744 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Sea Day Cruiser
Cruises on the Royal Princess starting in mid January were also supposed to be medallion cruises.
I was on Royal last week. No sign of medallion, other than in one of the on-demand videos.

No screens at every cabin door, nor any screens that I saw anywhere throughout the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
67 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Our cruise is not until the end of February and I called Princess and was told that all they could do was put in a request for a move to the section using the OM. I am not interested in moving without knowing the cabin because my wife has a medical condition that needs to be in a stable part of the ship. So we chose an inside cabin as close to midship as we could get. At least they told us before the final deposit is due, but I don't think I will cancel even if I am disappointed. If there had not been so much hype about OM I would not be as disappointed. Princess has a good reputation in the eyes of most people I have talked to, but I really think they overhyped this and now may suffer some bad PR. But, since I have nothing to compare with from Princess (this is our first cruise with them) I don't know if they routinely over hype or not!
Fort Worth
130 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Sea Day Cruiser
Cruises on the Royal Princess starting in mid January were also supposed to be medallion cruises. Does anyone know if compensation is being offered for those on the Royal? I’m just assuming that if they haven’t got it operational on the Regal it’s not going to be on the Royal either.
I never saw anything about Royal being a medallion cruise anytime soon. About half way down the page shows which ships and approximately when OM will get rolled out. https://www.princess.com/ships-and-e...ean-medallion/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
2017 Regal Princess 8 Day Caribbean Explorer
2018 Royal Princess 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

Sailed:
2017 Crown Princess 5 Day East Caribbean Getaway
2017 Ruby Princess 4 Day Santa Barbara
2017 Regal Princess 7 Day Western Caribbean
2016 Caribbean Princess 8 Day ABCs
2016 Emerald Princess 4 Day Grand Cayman
2015 Caribbean Princess 4 day Progresso
2015 Ruby Princess 4 Day West Coast Getaway
2015 Regal Princess 3 Day Bahamas
2015 Emerald Princess 7 Day Western Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess 4 Day Grand Turk
2014 Caribbean Princess 3 Day Princess Cay
2013 Caribbean Princess 7 Day Western Caribbean
2013 Island Princess 3 day Coastal
2009 Sapphire Princess 3 day Coastal
2008 Carnival Elation 5 day Mexico
2007 Dawn Princess 11 day Mexico
2004 Regal Princess 10 day Alaska
Loveland, CO
1,808 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by Cruising_Bill
If anyone has a picture from the princess website that shows a royal cruise in March of 18 with the medallion banner, please post it as they are now denying it was a medallion cruise

Dear Bill:

Called Princess and got a representative that seemed to know and be informative. Basically it is what we know. They are having a longer time getting the glitches out of the program on the Regal and getting it going. Knowing that, they don't want to go through the disappointed customers for Royal that they do Regal (I translate that into OBC), they have taken the Royal off of the OM program until things get worked out. For my March, 2018, cruise, the banner was taken off and she agreed by the way, but that doesn't mean that if things turn around and things start moving faster and smoother that the Royal won't be put back online to be OM cruises. I.E., they have learned from the Regal fiasco. She even reiterated that initially Royal was supposed to go OM online on January 19th, 2018, so my rep. wasn't denying anything.

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess - 10 Night Mexican Riviera, 03/2019 (WS!)
Royal Prncess - 19 Night Maple Explorer Tour 2B, 10/2018
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley, 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage, 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean, 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise, 04/2015

HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
San Mateo, California
5,599 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
What is the big deal, just a money maker for the cruise line... glad they will not have it on my Grand Princess cruise...
Second City
5,275 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by pris993
What is the big deal, just a money maker for the cruise line... glad they will not have it on my Grand Princess cruise...
What is the big deal???

The big deal to me is that the marketing and hype, over the entire past year, has promised way more than Princess can deliver, and still keep to their original timeline. Implementing the OM concept has proven to be more complicated than anyone anticipated ... this is not as simple as expanding the capabilities of the Princess at Sea app. This ever-changng rollout has become very embarrassing for the company, as they modify their website info and re-spin the program.

Indeed, would have been interesting had they enhanced Princess at Sea, contracted with the likes of Samsung for boatloads of devices (I bought a Samsung On5 at Best Buy to use as a music player only ... $50), placed devices in cabins for each passenger. Way less angst and $$$.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Forums mobile app
Nebraska, USA
1,877 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Called princess got a very nice representative expressed my disappointment. Got 100 dollar obc. That will off set the increase in the drink pkg which is my real disappointment
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[IMG]http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/3starMariner.gif[/I

Carnival - Tropicale, Festival, Sensation (3), Ecstasy, Triumph (2), Fasination
NCL - Norway (3), Sky, Majesty
RCCL - Grandeur (2), Freedom of the Seas (5), Mariner of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Allure of the Seas (4), Oasis of the Seas (2)
Celebrity - Century (6), Infinity (2), Summit
Holland America - Eurodam (3), Neiuw Amsterdam (old one), Westerdam, Zaandam (4), Zuiderdam (5), Noordam, Neiuw Amsterdam (New)(5)
Princess - Caribbean Princess (2), Golden Princess (2), Grand Princess (4) Royal Princess, Star Princess, Regal Princess (3)
58 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I just called - they offered $50 per person. I am in balcony on Regal. Booked with TA. Could probably insist to talk a customer representative to go higher then that but was not in a mood. My guess is too many people are calling now so they reduced it to $50

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC Bellissima 04/12/2019

Celebrity Summit 01/13/2018
Norwegian Breakaway 03/13/2016
Norwegian Pearl 12/08/2013
Carnival Victory 10/28/2012
Norwegian Star 10/31/2009
Norwegian Pearl 03/22/2009
Norwegian Dawn 06/09/2007
16 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I just called to ask about the OM email we received; we were told it's a great thing yada, yada, yada. But, you're not apart of it. LOL....I was put through to a very sweet young woman who was going to put us on the waiting list. We would lose our mini-suite with extended balcony, etc. I said no, perhaps we could get the OBC I read about on CC? I punted and decided to ask, why not?

She said sure, let me get Guest Relations on the line and work on that! I was on hold for approximately 12 minutes waiting to hear the verdict.

It is $100 per passenger! Plus, they are giving it to our friends who are sailing with us and basically know nothing about the OM!!

All I can say is that Princess came through like a C-H-A-M-P in Customer Service!!
WA state
3,005 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Gus2013
I just called to ask about the OM email we received; we were told it's a great thing yada, yada, yada. But, you're not apart of it. LOL....I was put through to a very sweet young woman who was going to put us on the waiting list. We would lose our mini-suite with extended balcony, etc. I said no, perhaps we could get the OBC I read about on CC? I punted and decided to ask, why not?

She said sure, let me get Guest Relations on the line and work on that! I was on hold for approximately 12 minutes waiting to hear the verdict.

It is $100 per passenger! Plus, they are giving it to our friends who are sailing with us and basically know nothing about the OM!!

All I can say is that Princess came through like a C-H-A-M-P in Customer Service!!
The reason it would have changed your stateroom is because there are only 110 rooms that have the new medallion reader installed in front of the door. That's what gets you into your stateroom. It will read both the Medallion and the cruise card. Oh, one limitation on the medallion, at least at the present oint is that if you have a pacemaker installed, you will not be able to have a Medallion at all.

Tom
Louisville,KY USA
270 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Yesterday TA requested obc for us for our 2 Regal January cruises and it was denied. I called later myself and was denied also. Customer service said they don't know what they are going to do and to check back in mid December. Sure would like that extra obc to spend onboard.
Canada
542 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Pierlesscruisers
... there are only 110 rooms that have the new medallion reader installed in front of the door. That's what gets you into your stateroom. It will read both the Medallion and the cruise card.
Does anybody know why there are only 110 rooms with the medallion reader installed at the door? The ship went into dry dock in April 2017 so it could be ready for the November rollout.

To me, this is exceptionally poor implementation and management by Princess.

People have eluded to the fact that we should expect glitches when something of this calibre is new and being rolled out. I agree with this in principle. For example, I wouldn't have a problem if my Little Tagalong was a turtle but I wanted an Octopus. That's a glitch.

Not having the readers installed at stateroom doors, or the readers not granting access, isn't a glitch. These are fundamental essentials of the technology that should have been tested and tested again and again in a lab before ever announcing a firm roll-out date.

If readers still aren't installed, and Princess has a valid reason for this, then Princess should have converted from OM to OM PREVIEW long before final payment due dates on all upcoming cruises.

It would be much better for people to think that all Regal cruises between now and 'july' (or whenever) are PREVIEW but then be pleasantly surprised IF Princess completes a full rollout earlier.

But this 'keeping clients hoping' and not notifying until after final payment that you aren't part of the OM, is flat out ludicrous and disrespectful to the PRINCESS customers.

I realize many don't care if they get it, and many hope they won't, but there are some people who booked this cruise months ago, for this reason alone (OM).

Add to this insult is people have to call in to ask (or beg) for OBC - some are told yes, some are told no, some are given different amounts. All staterooms not selected for OM should get the same OBC automatically applied (or a standard amount based on cabin type booked). That would be an organization being accountable for not delivering on what they promise to the customer.

This is being handled as professionally as Celebrity is handling their website - threw that in for those of you who read both threads . Sarcasm intended.
TN
231 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Calling Princess tomorrow. We sail on 1/14 and just received word that we're not OM. We chose this ship over others for the OM factor (new, thought it sounded neat), so we're disappointed. But some extra OBC would help make it right.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
Regal Princess: 1/18

Past cruises:
Sapphire Princess: 10/11
Grandeur of the Seas: 10/10
Emerald Princess: 1/10
Grandeur of the Seas: 3/03
Rhapsody of the Seas: 3/02
Premier (not sure Ship): 3/00

38 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Gus2013

What ship and when, please

38 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by PoohUnderstands
Dear Bill:

Called Princess and got a representative that seemed to know and be informative. Basically it is what we know. They are having a longer time getting the glitches out of the program on the Regal and getting it going. Knowing that, they don't want to go through the disappointed customers for Royal that they do Regal (I translate that into OBC), they have taken the Royal off of the OM program until things get worked out. For my March, 2018, cruise, the banner was taken off and she agreed by the way, but that doesn't mean that if things turn around and things start moving faster and smoother that the Royal won't be put back online to be OM cruises. I.E., they have learned from the Regal fiasco. She even reiterated that initially Royal was supposed to go OM online on January 19th, 2018, so my rep. wasn't denying anything.

Pooh

Thanks Pooh. I am also on the royal in March. They offered me nothing even though it was supposed to be an OM cruise. Did they just say sorry to you too? Here on cc it seems some are getting OBC

5,744 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Shadow9612
People have eluded to the fact that we should expect glitches when something of this calibre is new and being rolled out. I agree with this in principle.
There are many posters here who are eluded by facts.

BTW, I completely agree with you about the roll out.

This was something that should have been beta-tested on ships long before
the first revenue cruise.

For instance, rather than having to disappoint many customers and only offer the medallions
to 100 cabins...

For a month or two before the scheduled roll out, they could have offered medallions to 100 beta-testers.

Just put a little note in the patter:

"If you would like to try the new medallion prior to the official start, visit the passenger services desk.
Quantities are limited.
Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.
etc."

If there are problems for those folks, it doesn't make the company look bad, and even those
customers know they are helping to test something new.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Cincinnati Ohio
1,119 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
After calling back a second time, I got $100 pp OBC. My brother in law who’s sailing with us called and also got the same credit. We’re sailing on the Regal on 2/18.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Your old pal,
Joe

Regal Princess - 2/2017
Regal Princess - 2/2016
Carnival Breeze - 2/2015
Carnival Valor - 3/2013
Crown Princess - 2/2010
Caribbean Princess - 2/2009
Crown Princess - 11/2006