Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:28 PM.
Vancouver
20 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I've got a shiny nickel to bet that the Royal Princess is too tall to sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge to get to Canada Place in Vancouver, and will instead be docking at temporary facilities at the Robert's Bank container terminal in the nearby city of Delta. Any takers?

Disclaimer: It's a Canadian nickel

DougYPK
Chico, California
9,703 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by dougypk
I've got a shiny nickel to bet that the Royal Princess is too tall to sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge to get to Canada Place in Vancouver, and will instead be docking at temporary facilities at the Robert's Bank container terminal in the nearby city of Delta. Any takers?

Disclaimer: It's a Canadian nickel

DougYPK
When I was a kid my dad must have visited Canada for some reason. He gave us a bunch of Canadian nickels. We were quite young and had no idea where (or even what) Canada was. We fed them all into a pinball machine. 3 plays for a nickel. Wow. Times have certainly changed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Tampa, Florida area
12,130 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Just what the already jampacked ports in AK need during high season ... another too big ship with way too many passengers onboard.
Roselle, IL 60172
556 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by dougypk
Nope. I expect it will clear by somewhre between one and three meters. Despite the quoted 217 feet (66 meters) air draft, I believe that's actually the height over the keel. And since it draws 28 feet, that makes it 189 feet over the waterline and so will easily clear Lions Gate by about three meters.

Why do I think it's height over the keel? I've been on Regal (same dimensions) which clears the Storbaelt Bridge in Denmark. That bridge is quoted as being 213 feet vertical clearance. If Royal and Regal were 217' over the waterline, it would hit. An officer told me it cleared that bridge by five meters which puts it in line with my thinking the 217' is over the keel. Lions Gate is quoted as 200' vertical clearance - that 13 foot difference is about 4 meters so if it clears Storbaelt by five, it will clear Lions Gate by one meter. Of course the water at Lions Gate is subject to tidal variation so that 200' is an average - the actual clearance at a given time will depend on the tide (in contrast, the Baltic Sea sees little tidal variation so that's not a factor at the Storbaelt Bridge). There's some difference in the numbers in my first paragraph and this one but put together, I come up with it clearing by somewhere between one meter (3 feet) and three meters (10 feet).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Larry
(screen name is "el"-stone19, not "eye"-stone19)

Regal Princess 9/9/17 British Isles and Norway Passage (Transatlantic)
Regal Princess 10/22/16 NYC/Canada 5-day
Regal Princess 6/14/16 Baltic
Coral Princess 12/23/03 Panama Canal partial transit
Coral Princess 12/24/02 (cancelled - ship delivery delayed )
Dawn Princess 6/01 Voyage of the Glaciers N/B
Sky Princess 5/93 Voyage of the Glaciers N/B
Southward 12/92 Pacific Coast 3-day
Seaward 12/90 Western Caribbean
Greenville, SC, USA
52,445 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
The Royal Princess will sail around South America in February and March 2019 to reposition on the west coast.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
San Jose, Ca
27 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Just what you need for an Alaska cruise, a ship with than less ideal spots to spend time on the decks watching the beautiful scenery of the coast and bays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
20,416 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by lstone19
Nope. I expect it will clear by somewhre between one and three meters. Despite the quoted 217 feet (66 meters) air draft, I believe that's actually the height over the keel. And since it draws 28 feet, that makes it 189 feet over the waterline and so will easily clear Lions Gate by about three meters.

Why do I think it's height over the keel? I've been on Regal (same dimensions) which clears the Storbaelt Bridge in Denmark. That bridge is quoted as being 213 feet vertical clearance. If Royal and Regal were 217' over the waterline, it would hit. An officer told me it cleared that bridge by five meters which puts it in line with my thinking the 217' is over the keel. Lions Gate is quoted as 200' vertical clearance - that 13 foot difference is about 4 meters so if it clears Storbaelt by five, it will clear Lions Gate by one meter. Of course the water at Lions Gate is subject to tidal variation so that 200' is an average - the actual clearance at a given time will depend on the tide (in contrast, the Baltic Sea sees little tidal variation so that's not a factor at the Storbaelt Bridge). There's some difference in the numbers in my first paragraph and this one but put together, I come up with it clearing by somewhere between one meter (3 feet) and three meters (10 feet).
Interesting points! When it happens, clearing the Lion's Gate bridge could be one of its cruising highlights.
Vancouver
20 Posts
Joined Jan 2013

Interesting and well researched. You've more than earned that nickel.

DougYPK
3,736 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by 1spacecowboy
Just what you need for an Alaska cruise, a ship with than less ideal spots to spend time on the decks watching the beautiful scenery of the coast and bays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have not sailed on the Royal yet. Why do you say this?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 9/30/16 4 day with the Besties #10
Ruby Princess 9/19/16 Vancouver to LA 3 Day Cruise with G #9
Crown Princess 1/3/15 (3 Day Cruise) #8
Golden Princess 11/14/2014 (3 Day Cruise) #7
Celebrity Century 4/5/14 (7 Day, CA Coastal) #1
Sapphire Princess 3/15/14 (4 Day Cruise) #6
Golden Princess 11/2013 (Solo) #4 & #5
Golden Princess 10/18/2013 (3 Day Cruise) #3
Star Princess 5/2013 (Alaska with G) #2
Sapphire Princess 10/13/2012 (CA Coastal Bday Cruise) #1
Carnival Splendor 10/2011 #7
Carnival Paradise 10/2011 #6
Carnival Spirit 2/2011 9 Day #5
Carnival Splendor 1/23/2011 (Canceled Due to Fire)
Carnival Splendor 12/05/2010 (Canceled Due to Fire)
Carnival Paradise 1/2010 #4
Carnival Paradise 12/09 (4 Day With My Daughter) #3
Radiance OTS 10/09 (5 Day Girls Cruise-It's Our Bdays!) #2
Carnival Elation 02/09 #2
Carnival Paradise 10/08 (3 Day With Hurricane Norbert) #1
Monarch OTS 8/08 (4 day With My Daughter) #1
Chicago
1,955 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by MsSoCalCruiser
I have not sailed on the Royal yet. Why do you say this?
No sheltered promenade deck, which is where I have always enjoyed watching the Alaska scenery, on 14 Alaska cruises.

And what about the Royal's soot, spoiling Alaska's nice clean air?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2
Sapphire Princess x5
Golden Princess
Grand Princess x4
Ruby Princess x2
Emerald Princess
Florida
5,587 Posts
Joined Feb 2006

I think this confirms your calculations... Just about everything does not exceed 180'. There is one item that is a wee bit above the 180' mark and that could be the after masthead light in the forward part of the funnel. I enlarged the second picture to see it.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BB
"If the phone doesn't ring, it's me!"
"Is it ignorance or is it apathy? ... I don't know and I don't care!"
S.S. Badger R/T from Manitowoc June 02
rocklin ca
1,259 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Yes there really isn't much outdoor space on the Royal. There is a small uncovered patch of promenade deck (that will fill up quickly with interior cabin passengers who want to see the views). The buffet tables will also fill up alongside the windows for viewing. I guess they would have enough passenger demand to use a bigger ship, but I'm not sure how the ship layout will work for scenic viewing in Alaska. Maybe they will only have one scenic viewing day and focus activities up on the Lido deck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising with teens
5,744 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Keith1010
Shows the demand for Alaska.
Hard to tell.

It might show princess' desperation in where to send all their ships.

Sending Majestic to China showed the demand for China, until it didn't;
and they announced Majestic would reposition to Australia for part of the year.

Personally, I don't think Regal/Royal have enough outside deck space for the number of people.
Without paying for the sanctuary, there is almost no public view forward.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Simpsonville, South Carolina
9,237 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by flamomo
Just what the already jampacked ports in AK need during high season ... another too big ship with way too many passengers onboard.
I agree. As much as I love this class of ship, I am glad I am going to Alaska in 2018.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marie
Upcoming cruises:
December 18, 2017 - Celebrity Reflection(Quick Christmas Getaway)
Jan 7, 2018 - Crown Princess
June 3, 2018 - HAL Noordam(ALASKA and DIY land)
rocklin ca
1,259 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
I am also glad that I decided to book the Vancouver/Anchorage Alaska route in 2018 (on the Star). I wouldn’t do it on the Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising with teens
13,003 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Well Princess isn't the only one sending it's big girls to AK in 2019. RCI is sending the huge Ovation of the Seas (out of SEA) and Celebrity is sending the Solstice AND the Eclipse. AK is going to get busier and busier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - 42 Completed Cruises so far
Upcoming Booked Cruises:
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & Jewel OTS
And possibly another couple cruises in between those above!