How many people cruise without their spouse?

superduper123

I have never cruised without DH and have no wish to but there are a fair number of people who sail without spouse/partner. You would not be thought of as 'highly unusual' if that concerns you. :)

It's all well and good cruising with your spouse if he/she also likes cruising. But you should not have to give up something you enjoy just because your spouse does not. There will likely be a number of solos on your cruise. Some may be there because they prefer the freedom of sailing alone and some because nobody had the desire/time/funds to cruise with them. Enjoy your cruise. Who knows, it might sound so great when you talk about it, hubby could decide to try a cruise!

I'm a cruise addict, and also recently remarried. My new hubby doesn't have any interest in cruising. So I am going on my next one without him (which I booked before we were together.)

Just wondering how unusual, or not, this is? :eek:

Not at all unusual.

People may cruise without a spouse for numerous reasons.

One enjoys cruising and the other doesn't.

One has other plans or obligations scheduled when the opportunity for the cruise comes up, or just can't get away from work at that time.

Sometimes it is a group cruise with family, or friends, or a club or college reunion that appeals to one and not the other.

Sometimes it is a work related cruise, with seminars on board in which the spouse has no interest.

Girlfriends who are not football addicts will book cruises together during football season when their husbands can't tear themselves away from the games.

Some (of either gender) manage to find an excuse to avoid a cruise with the in-laws.

One spouse may stay home to care for a sick relative, or even a pet.

Sometimes one spouse may just want some quiet time alone, for whatever reason.

I couldn't imagine going on any vacation with out DH. He's my BFF. I have had to take business trips without him and hated it. But that is our relationship after 25 years. We have friends and family who have no problem going on vacation without each other. It's just not for us.

My husband and I cruise together once a year (some of which were before we were married) and we love our vacations together. However, I get a LOT more vacation time from work than he does, so for the last 2 years I have also gone on a cruise with my Mom.

I have been on a few cruises with my hubby and boys for the holidays, but most of my cruises are with the ladies (including my mom who is widowed) and us gals go 2-3 times a year. I have the most understanding hubby. My mom can still travel and is 80 and I will continue to enjoy her company on cruises while we can. She is my best friend and we have so much fun together...

I have been on a few cruises with my hubby and boys for the holidays, but most of my cruises are with the ladies (including my mom who is widowed) and us gals go 2-3 times a year. I have the most understanding hubby. My mom can still travel and is 80 and I will continue to enjoy her company on cruises while we can. She is my best friend and we have so much fun together...

How lucky you are to still have Mom....I'll never forget the memories of cruising/traveling with my parents..who were my two best friends..I have an understanding hubby too that knew how important my spending time with them was while we could.

During that time found out from my mother that she always in the back of her mind (same as me) had dreamt to go on a cruise. My mum just had an operation for cancer and we promised each other that if she would be strong enough to travel to N.Z. from Holland after she had recouperated, she would pay for the flight and I would take care of all the cruise and related expenses.

The Universe looked after her and off we went cruising around the Pacific.:D

I became a cruise nut after that and Mum went on another one with me last year.

This was a med cruise starting in Italy and going to Greece and Turkey and in August. It was very hot, but she was such a trooper!

Again it was amazing to spend this special time with her.

So, in general I think that cruising is suitable to go with anyone you like. Lost of girlfriends go together and even guys go with their mates.

Then there are the same sex couples as well, family get togethers for reunions, special birthdays or weddings where ages can range from say 3yr old to in the eighties.

BUT my story is not over yet!

My husband was the same as yours, he just was not interested in cruising. However, one day he said if he would ever do a cruise it would have to be a Mediterrean one. Well, jumped on that one straight away and it did not take me long to find a deal and we booked. It is exactly the same itinerary I did last year with my Mum, but I don't care:p.

Now that the trip is coming closer, DH is starting to get more and more excited about all the places he is going to see and is even to start get a little more interested in the ship (although, really, he wants everything on the ship to be a surprise).

I feel very blessed that I can go on this trip again and must say it does feel different to go with DH, definitely romantic.... Also expecting it to be more intense, because of all the things he wants to do and see in Europe.

I am now planning a cruise for 2015 with my sister. She has been very reluctant to cruise (she did not even want to go last year when we were going to gift her the cruise:eek:).

ANOTHER BUT.. I think what both her and DH converted in the end is that you can see so many places without having to unpack all the time, driving, finding places to eat etc.

So, maybe you can find out where your DH always has wanted to go like Alaska or Tahiti, who knows? Seems most men like the port calls the best.

Or, maybe he will just slowly over time get influenced by all your great cruise experiences Ha, ha and wet his appetite (literally with speciality restaurants) Or he might see the economic benefits (when you compare the land vacation to a cruise;)).

After 34 years, my husband is also my BFF. However, he has never been interested in cruising. So I mainly cruise with my sister and we love it. This year my husband and I cruised because he promised he would try it once. It was lovely and he was open minded, but he did not love it like my sister and I do. So we will go back to cruising as sisters and leave DH behind. He is happy staying home and the economics of only me cruising are great. We do lots of other things together, including nice travel.

BUT - a woman at our traditional table said to me one year "So, your husband LETS you cruise without him??" We are still laughing about that!

I think generally women like cruising better because there is NO WORK, we enjoy the service because domestic stuff still falls mainly to the women!

I sailed for years without my DH because he refused to set foot on a ship, but he always encouraged me to go. I've sailed with my sister, sister-in-law, grandson and cousin. Then, last year we were planning a Dec cruise & he was going to be left home alone for 5 days and decided he would try a cruise. Before day 2 was complete, he was planning our next cruise. We are sailing in Aug with other family members & friends.

We have just celebrated our 41st wedding anniversary & he is my BFF; however, he doesn't like to go the way I do. He has never minded me going alone or going with a friend or family member. He used to tell me that he would pay for someone to go if I wouldn't be angry with him for staying home!

I think my days of cruising without him are over and that's fine with me! However, if the opportunity to go comes along and DH doesn't want to go, I know I have the option to travel without him.

We've cruised together with some success but overall it's really not my beloved's thing so I tend to sail solo these days. There's nothing worse than dragging a reluctant companion on a cruise if they really don't want to be there. Im not much interested in outback camping trips either!

I have read here where (and on other sites) where people have cruised without their spouses.

Neither my DH or I would cruise without the other one.

Have you asked your new husband how he feels about you going on a vacation without him? JMO -- but I don't think that you are starting off a new marriage taking a cruise without him.

I'm a cruise addict, and also recently remarried. My new hubby doesn't have any interest in cruising. So I am going on my next one without him (which I booked before we were together.)

Just wondering how unusual, or not, this is? :eek:

My wife still works. My first (and maybe my last) cruise without her is the 4/21/13 RCCL Galveston to Barcelona 15 day cruise. Previously we've done 3 cruises together and have 4 cruises together booked between now and March 2014. We both love cruising. She's a teacher and has quite a bit of time off compared to most people. I just couldn't resist the price on the Transatlantic cruise and only one air plane ticket home since it is out of Galveston, near my home. We'll see how she does with me being gone for 15 days. Never been apart for that long before.

Archived