Is it a good cabin postion for family?

guest26

Hi

This is our first cruise ever. We reserved (next year) for Holland America to Norway Fjords on summer in their newest ship.

We are two adults, child 8 years old, child 4 years and a baby will be 1.5 years.

The ship diagram is:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-nieuw-statendam/0.html

and we got room FA1162 on deck1. Is it good or bad? What are the disadvantages? I do not have sea sickness but no other family member has been in ship yet, so cannot tell.

We got good price and a family room with two showers and ocean window.

The room is between the middle and the rear.

Hi

This is our first cruise ever. We reserved (next year) for Holland America to Norway Fjords on summer in their newest ship.

We are two adults, child 8 years old, child 4 years and a baby will be 1.5 years.

The ship diagram is:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-nieuw-statendam/0.html

and we got room FA1162 on deck1. Is it good or bad? What are the disadvantages? I do not have sea sickness but no other family member has been in ship yet, so cannot tell.

We got good price and a family room with two showers and ocean window.

The room is between the middle and the rear.

Most ship cabins are small due to the fact that you got a larger cabin it should be easier for you. How long is the cruise. You mention two showers are you in a sweet.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

Most ship cabins are small due to the fact that you got a larger cabin it should be easier for you. How long is the cruise. You mention two showers are you in a sweet.

Hi,

It is called family suite. I wonder if the position floor num/rear-middle position/facilities in the floor above is good or bad? In case a family sea sickness will it be a good position or the worst one?

We sail for a week in Norway fjords, coming from Amsterdam

Generally speaking the best place to be for movement is censorship fairly low deck 5 6 7 however I think wherever you are you'll be just fine that's a very very nice cabin don't dwell on the sea sickness thing it most likely won't even happen Ginger tablets can be helpful and if absolutely necessary carry some non-drowsy Dramamine my wife and I have been on 26 cruises so far and have never had a problem with seasickness.

good is relative. you need to consider where you think you will be spending most of your time on board and how fast/easy it will be to get there from your cabin. the deck plans for the ship can be easily googled, or there is most likely a section of the HA website that has them.

Deck one is literally the bowels of the ship. which means it will most likely be extremely quiet, but getting anywhere on board will be a trek.

Ginger and green apples are the two best non drug(non drowsy) seasickness remedies. start taking ginger tablets/pills/candy a day or two before. Green apples disappear very fast once on board( people hoard them just in case)

It's your only option, as no other category has a cabin that sleeps five. One bath has small tub/shower, toilet, sink; second bath has shower and sink. I looks like they have adapted the family OV cabin from the Carnival Dream class, but instead of two upper bunks, they have a double sleeper sofa and one upper. This does mean that two of the kids will have to share the sofa. EM

Thanks for your reply!!

It seems both two floors above us are loaded with dining rooms, world stage, grand cafe etc. But the pool and kids club are on upper floors.

Well we have two full days at sea and kids are going to sleep quite early but we get up early as well (at most places the ship dock at 07:00 AM). We are 5 rooms from an elevator. Cannot we count on that?

Can we bring green apples to the ship?

Looking at the deck plans, the cabin is an Ocean View, which has a window (doesn't open). Below is crew working spaces/cabins, with my guess being storerooms and or galley prep rooms. Above you is probably the Main Galley, so you could get a little noise at meal times.

For movement, although close to the stern, you are low enough that movement should be minimal. If the ship is going full speed, you may experience some prop rumble, but they rarely go at 100% MCR these days.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sounds like a great room. We have an 8 year old and 4 year old as well. I would love to have two showers! My only concern would be that it looks like the kitchen for the main dining room may be above you. You could potentially have some noise from there. Otherwise, you are low and towards the middle. So, from my understanding, you are in the best possible location to reduce chances of motion sickness.