Independence of the Seas spring May 5th 2018 TA cancelled?

Sorry to hear that you are canceled. In the back of my mind I have to wonder if the final decision had anything to do with the mess Celebrity is currently dealing with about the Constellation being forced to drop the first two days of their first cruise after dry dock because of computer/propultion issues that surfaced enroute from dry dock in France to Barcelona. We have friends on that trip and it worked out for them to have a few extra days in Barcelona but a lot of passengers who had tickets for the F1 race in Monaco this weekend are not happy campers. Celebrity is scrambling to make things right but....it sounds like quite a mess. I guess I need to pay more careful attention to our own sailing on the Indy on May 20.

Not exactly. The fees and taxes are more for the Navigator & The Serenade. The only protected part is the actually fare before those charges are added.

? I just tried to explain the reason for the cancelation of Indys transatlantic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

? I just tried to explain the reason for the cancelation of Indys transatlantic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry, I was attempting to reply to a post that seems to have vanished...my excuse is that I was ironing at the time & can clearly not multi task! :)

If they are going to let me switch from a 10 day to a 14 for the same price (Navigator, would work better for me). That is not a bad deal. I had a GS booked on the Independence, and just pricing the Navigator, it's a few thousand dollars more. Are they saying my price is locked (other then taxes) at what I was to pay for the Independence. Plus 200. OBC.

The 10 day would have been better for my schedule, but I'll work it out if I can take the Navigator for the original Independence price.

Wonder if I will lose the OBC and free gratitudes I was getting from my TA. If my price is the same,then the commission paid to my TA should not change either. Do you think I would still get the perks that my TA offered with the Independence booking? Guess I would have to pay 4 addition days gratitudes to keep everyone even.

Anyone have experience with the TA perks when a cruise is cancelled? Can not call my TA until Tuesday, because of the Monday holiday. Thanks

Not exactly. The fees and taxes are more for the Navigator & The Serenade. The only protected part is the actually fare before those charges are added.

I booked Navigator yesterday and paid exactly what I paid for my Indy booking. No additional taxes or fees.

I received an email and a call from RCI

That's half of what we got in OBC when Royal cancelled the April 2017 Rhapsody TA.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that many people in JS and higher will have a difficult time finding a replacement cabin this late.

That was our problem with the Rhapsody debacle.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We have booked our flights RCI are looking in to what they can do but there is allways Watchdog and other TV prog should RCI don't play ball

What airlines are open this early :o ?

I've heard plenty of stores on here of people booking independent flights and not getting anything back / only some compensation to change back

I'm not sure if being in the UK with european protection makes any difference in this matter. Can you make a claim on your travel insurance ?

I don't like to be a naysayer, but why on earth would anyone have booked flights for this cruise, when it was obvious there was some sort of issue? We deliberately held off to see how this panned out & are now glad we did.

RCI have a moral obligation to help as it's them that cancelled the cruise, but as for a legal obligation, then I can't see one unless the airfare was booked direct with them at the same time as the cruise, as part of a package.

I don't like to be a naysayer, but why on earth would anyone have booked flights for this cruise, when it was obvious there was some sort of issue? We deliberately held off to see how this panned out & are now glad we did.

RCI have a moral obligation to help as it's them that cancelled the cruise, but as for a legal obligation, then I can't see one unless the airfare was booked direct with them at the same time as the cruise, as part of a package.

I admire your faith in RCI .This would set a huge precedent and cost thousands.:cool:

I admire your faith in RCI .This would set a huge precedent and cost thousands.:cool:

I have absolutely NO faith in them to do what is right morally. They are running a business & are governed by the law. Unfortunately, the law says they have do precisely nothing...and that, I suspect, is exactly what they will do.

I have absolutely NO faith in them to do what is right morally. They are running a business & are governed by the law. Unfortunately, the law says they have do precisely nothing...and that, I suspect, is exactly what they will do.

Agree 100%

Good luck to everyone. I tried to figure out how to do one of the two chosen for us, and did not have any luck. They will not allow you to keep any OBC that you currently have, instead you just get the $100 they offer you. In my case, without the OBC (which I paid a higher fare to get), I am looking at a sight loss. Not bad, however, but they also will not give you another category of cabin. I have a promenade cabin on Indy, and I was offered only an interior cabin. So, instead of a view of the shops, RCI wants me to stare at the wall- oh, and pay extra for the privilege since interior rooms were cheaper when I booked.

That leaves as my only option the Navigator, which is a sister ship. I will sleep on it. Disappointing. I understand how others may feel that it would be better to cancel and then just start over so that you can book a cruise to your liking.

Good luck to everyone. I tried to figure out how to do one of the two chosen for us, and did not have any luck. They will not allow you to keep any OBC that you currently have, instead you just get the $100 they offer you. In my case, without the OBC (which I paid a higher fare to get), I am looking at a sight loss. Not bad, however, but they also will not give you another category of cabin. I have a promenade cabin on Indy, and I was offered only an interior cabin. So, instead of a view of the shops, RCI wants me to stare at the wall- oh, and pay extra for the privilege since interior rooms were cheaper when I booked.

That leaves as my only option the Navigator, which is a sister ship. I will sleep on it. Disappointing. I understand how others may feel that it would be better to cancel and then just start over so that you can book a cruise to your liking.

If you pick one of there alternate cruises you should be able to keep any OBC you already have. We did that and did not lose ours

When we have been rebooked we got to keep the original OBC. Are you sure you are losing it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yes. She was very clear that I would be losing my OBC. I explained to her that I had called RCI a few days after booking when I noticed the beginning of that great sale they had which included OBC of $76. I agreed to pay an extra $50 for the cabin, and in return, I got the $76. A small amount to save, but I went for it. I also booked my meal seating, so it was worth the call. Now, the rep says that she can only honor the exact amount paid for the cabin. That means I lose $26 - no big deal, however, I also paid an extra $220 for a promenade cabin, and she again said that she understood, however, she can only offer me an inside room. If I want a view of something- an ocean view would be the only option- I would have to pay prevailing rates- doubling the price of my cruise.

I just got off of Radiance and was not happy with the food on that one. I certainly am not going to take a financial loss to board her sister ship with an interior cabin.

Wow. Maybe other reps are more helpful- I hope so. She kept saying "corporate" and won't do anything for me.

If you pick one of there alternate cruises you should be able to keep any OBC you already have. We did that and did not lose ours

Must have been my rep. Luck of the draw? She said I couldn't keep my current $76 OBC for Indy, but since I was getting $100 for changing, I was still coming out ahead. Well, yeah, by $74. The killer is the fact that I am paying for a promenade cabin but will be given only an interior one. When I asked if there was someone else I could talk to further up the line, she said no, and obviously wanted to end the call.

I sailed on Jewel in 2008 and loved it. I was on Radiance when I got the email about the cancelation. The food definitely is not as good as it was nine years ago. Hopefully the Serenade is better for those of you choosing that one.

Edited by traveltilidrop
spelling