New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

I think it’s a sad state of affairs that you, on your firstplanned Cunard cruise should have been given the impression that only Grills passengershave Class, dress appropriately andbehave acceptably. Grills passengers pay premium rates for their accommodationetc. and for separate dining and lounge areas. Other than that, they enjoy thesame shipboard facilities and entertainment as you will. It’s not an indicator of Class, it’s simply that they choose that specific accommodation andare prepared to pay the required farefor it. The arrant nonsense that some Grills passengers perpetrate shouldreally be ignored.

We have always found our fellow travellers welcoming, greatcompany and friends who we remain in touch with.

Fortunately we have learned over the years that Cruise Critic members actually represent a very small percentage of passengers onboard. We seldom participate in roll calls or meet & greets especially when they take on a snarky tone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not concerned about the change in terminology from formal/informal to gala/smart attire but extending the list of venues in which casual clothes including jeans can be worn after 6pm is not something I agree with. I do think including the Golden Lion on this list, given its prominent location on all three Queens, might be the real indicator that Cunard is looking much further ahead to a time when it significantly relaxes the dress codes (for instance, removing the requirement for men to wear jackets on informal/smart attire nights) - I see this change as testing the waters to gauge guest reaction.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone wearing jeans in the buffets or Carinthia Lounge/Garden Lounge in the evenings but I think the pub should be off limits. I'm agnostic about jeans in G32 and the Yacht Club since these venues only get going quite late anyway. I feel that the requirements and scope of the dress code were fine as they were prior to all of these changes and whilst I'll keep an open mind for now, it would be a shame if the special atmosphere aboard the ships is eventually diluted by too much "casualisation".

I have absolutely no problem with anyone wearing jeans in the buffets or Carinthia Lounge/Garden Lounge in the evenings but I think the pub should be off limits.

If there is anywhere jeans should be allowed it is a pub (and at the same time formal wear banned).

If there is anywhere jeans should be allowed it is a pub (and at the same time formal wear banned).

Jeans vs. gowns (full contact) PUB QUIZ SHOWDOWN!

I’ll be the one dressed too formally for “smart” and too informally for “gala”.

Fortunately we have learned over the years that Cruise Critic members actually represent a very small percentage of passengers onboard. We seldom participate in roll calls or meet & greets especially when they take on a snarky tone.

Thanks. I hope that my comment was received in the spirit itwas meant. Sometimes UK and USA contributors get crossed wires, I hope not thistime. We’ve found that like minds tend to gravitate together on board, bit like life really.

The new total cost is shighly higher, but worth it, to be away from all this unpleasantness.

May one suggest other lovers of Cunard do the same, as complaining will not change the inevitable for those booking Britannia or Club. Let the new class of Cunard cruiser have steerage.

I'm one of the "new class of Cunard cruiser" - this will be my first cruise on any ship. I have purchased the cheapest stateroom for my first TA crossing in August, so, yes, I'll be traveling in "steerage".

Having said that, I don't believe the travel class you select is indicative of your level of class, or an indicator of how you will dress.

I chose "steerage" because I'm not a lady of leisure - I work hard for my money; I have a son who is about to go off to college, and college isn't cheap here in the US.

I'm saving for retirement, so Queens Grill accommodation isn't in my budget at the moment.

I suppose I could have waited until I retired to be able to afford Queens Grill, but our future is not guaranteed - I had a colleague drop dead of a heart attack last week at the age of 58; I'm going to get this item checked off my bucket list while I'm still healthy, and can enjoy the leisure time.

Look for me in the evening gown on "gala" nights, and dressed appropriately for the remainder of the cruise. You'll also be able to pick me out from the crowd, because I won't have my nose in the air, thinking that traveling in "steerage" is beneath me.

Just because someone books a non-grills stateroom doesn’t mean they have no class. We have our first QV voyage planned for next year and reading these comments makes us wonder if we made the right choice!

We have cruised and travelled the world and while not in private jets or owner suites, we have manners and dress appropriately for the venue.

Hopefully our fellow voyagers will be more welcoming

Thank you for your post. We have our first Cunard voyage coming up late August on the QM2. We've done 50 + cruises on mainstream lines and always adhere to the requested dress. One of the things we continue to enjoy about Princess is that they still have formal nights and, although it is now "recommended", we always dress accordingly. I also was beginning to wonder if we'd made a mistake. This is the first leg of a month's trip so what/how much we pack is an issue, but I feel we can be presentable and not embarrass ourselves or leave anyone else on the ship aghast.

I'm one of the "new class of Cunard cruiser" - this will be my first cruise on any ship. I have purchased the cheapest stateroom for my first TA crossing in August, so, yes, I'll be traveling in "steerage".

Having said that, I don't believe the travel class you select is indicative of your level of class, or an indicator of how you will dress.

I chose "steerage" because I'm not a lady of leisure - I work hard for my money; I have a son who is about to go off to college, and college isn't cheap here in the US.

I'm saving for retirement, so Queens Grill accommodation isn't in my budget at the moment.

I suppose I could have waited until I retired to be able to afford Queens Grill, but our future is not guaranteed - I had a colleague drop dead of a heart attack last week at the age of 58; I'm going to get this item checked off my bucket list while I'm still healthy, and can enjoy the leisure time.

Look for me in the evening gown on "gala" nights, and dressed appropriately for the remainder of the cruise. You'll also be able to pick me out from the crowd, because I won't have my nose in the air, thinking that traveling in "steerage" is beneath me.

I like your attitude! It is important to save for the future, but not to the extent that you don't enjoy life while you can.

Sooner or later, dress code threads come down to "snobs vs slobs" posts. I've met very few of either on board, although lately, the number of the latter does seem to be creeping up.

One of the great things about Cunard passengers is that they don't go around announcing that they're in the grills, or ask others about their accommodation. In all my Cunard voyages (in grills and in steerage), I can only remember a handful of people who thought "better" accommodations made them superior. One woman in Princess Grill was on her first Cunard cruise and thought that because she was in a Princess Grill cabin she was better than, well, certainly better than the rest of the passengers at her Princess Grill table. I email a blog to my friends when I travel, and they were all amused at my comments about the grande dame--I chose to laugh, not be offended.

Standards don't, or shouldn't, imply snobbery or status. I've sailed in Cunard since 1977 in every class, sub class, restaurant and on crossings and cruises. The worst dressed couple (and relentlessly so) on my last cruise in QE were Grill passengers. He looked like he was just coming off the 18th hole. Or Oceania Cruises. We thought they were "getting away with it" because they were Grill passengers. And.. they did. And all the best English summer jackets were in Britannia. And yes you can get brown sauce at breakfast in the Grills, thank goodness... and no they don't plop down the bottle on the table.

So any newcomers reading these pages shouldn't think that all Cunard passengers are doing their Clifton Webb as Richard Ward Sturgess in "Titanic" ('53) impersonation. "Twenty years ago I made the unpardonable error of thinking I could civilize a girl who bought her hats out of a Sears-Roebuck catalog. "

We have always found our fellow travellers welcoming, greatcompany and friends who we remain in touch with.

Absolutely - the tone onboard the ships is quite different to what you find here in this forum.

Very well said!

I am shocked by some of the comments suggesting that only those who can afford the grills know how to dress properly.

I have many voyages under my belt. All of them in "steerage". I will also be in my long evening dresses on "gala" nights and in cocktail dresses on the other nights and I guarantee there will be many many more of us doing the same in Britannia.

I will never be able to afford to try the grills and quite frankly, with some of the comments I have been reading, I am quite glad about that.

V

I will never be able to afford to try the grills and quite frankly, with some of the comments I have been reading, I am quite glad about that.

Aw, come on Sarah, we're not all that bad! It's all Sonya's fault as she will only travel QG (as you know).

:-)

S

It has just been reported to me by a friend on board QM2 that, on departing Singapore yesterday, the Cruise Director's 'Welcome Aboard' address included a specific description of what is acceptable and what is not under the dress code. My correspondent - and i - have never met such a thing before. Perhaps there is some recognition of the reaction here and elsewhere to the new code. It certainly sets the ground for enforcement action - but I'm not going to hold my breath.

It has just been reported to me by a friend on board QM2 that, on departing Singapore yesterday, the Cruise Director's 'Welcome Aboard' address included a specific description of what is acceptable and what is not under the dress code. My correspondent - and i - have never met such a thing before. Perhaps there is some recognition of the reaction here and elsewhere to the new code. It certainly sets the ground for enforcement action - but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The announcement just confirms the current dress code. It would appear the diarised Cunard dumb-down date is scheduled for 11 June 2018, but for some reason Cunard have not yet officially published this.

The announcement just confirms the current dress code. It would appear the diarised Cunard dumb-down date is scheduled for 11 June 2018, but for some reason Cunard have not yet officially published this.

If it confirms the current dress code why change it in the first place sorry but think there is a reason for the wording change.

Having experienced the Cunard dress code it was a shock when we were on the NCL Breakaway and see how people dressed!! I do have a small confession to make that there were a couple of nights that I was glad not to have to get 'glammed' up. It was equally nice to see people make an effort on New Year's Eve when the formal wear did make a (small) appearance.

We are currently on a land holiday in the Med and no one makes any effort to dress up in an evening.

Sadly it is a sign of the times. Not all good.

It will be interesting to return to this thread in a year’s time. I think Cunard won’t relax the dress expectations (as they’ve said). I don’t have a problem with the pub being a less-formal area. It is sad that many who have loved the line for decades are abandoning it for something that has not yet come to pass. We chose the QM2 for our crossing (actually it was chose for us, since we are with a group). We have never wanted to “cruise” but the idea of an ocean liner carrying us to our destination was lovely. We will dress appropriately and expect our fellow passengers will, as well.

I guess that Entertainment Manager (QM2) has to be the lovely 'Joanna Haley' who has been making that 'departure announcement' ( direct into guest staterooms) for a number of years. She is the epitome of the Cunard brand, along with Voyage sales Manager 'Dragana Prodanovic. :D

I guess that Entertainment Manager (QM2) has to be the lovely 'Joanna Haley' who has been making that 'departure announcement' ( direct into guest staterooms) for a number of years. She is the epitome of the Cunard brand, along with Voyage sales Manager 'Dragana Prodanovic. :D

It was Amanda Reid, in fact. Slightly unusual to find her on QM2 as opposed to QE. I think it was the explicit reference to the dress code that was unexpected.

It was Amanda Reid, in fact. Slightly unusual to find her on QM2 as opposed to QE. I think it was the explicit reference to the dress code that was unexpected.

That's good to hear, she has obviously taken a leaf out of Joanna's book ;). As you say, very unusual to hear her contract rotation is now QM2.