Check in time question

Loveacruise1986

The worst embarkation we have EVER had, in 40+ cruises with various lines, was Celebrity. It was dire!

Was that in the UK or the US? In the UK (Southampton) they seem to do pretty well as a lot of the embarkation is automated.

To go on one of the RC monsters. I would be laughing at and pitying them. Plus on their return when they are kicked off at the crack of dawn..and you are doing things in a much more civilised manner..will they still be laughing then.
Very mature, laughing at and pitying other cruise line guests. And for your information RCI do not ‘kick you off’ at 6am.

Not on any of my 20+ sailings with RCI have they started disembarkation at 6am. The earliest I have known those who do ‘self assist’ and carry all their bags off is around 7am. Disembarkation then continues by groups, ending around 9:30. Now that’s not exactly crack of dawn is it? But then again you can’t speak from experience can you as you haven’t sailed on a RCI ‘monster’?

I can’t wait to check in next Sunday for Oasis of the Seas (one of your monsters :)) and my cruise docs suggests check in anytime between 11:30 - 15:30. However, I know some will arrive at around 10:30 and be on board by 11.

Approximate time taken to check in and board will be around 30 minutes for each of the approximately 5400 passengers.

Once again, one of the main differences with RCI is that they perform security scanning before check in, so there are no bottle necks after check in.

Edited by peteukmcr

The worst embarkation we have EVER had, in 40+ cruises with various lines, was Celebrity. It was dire!
Interesting as my experiences with Celebrity have actually been faster than RCI. There must have been an unusual event that caused it.

All my check ins with Celebrity (UK, US and Italy) have been around 15 mins from getting out of a taxi to being on board and receiving the complimentary sparkling beverage from a member of the crew. No allocated check in time.

Yes, the pre check in security does speed it up as does he pre arrival data collection, the pre sail fast pass, the roving check in staff with with the iPads etc etc.

It doesn’t seem that difficult.

It makes sense to me if you got checked in by security very early and let through to a different part of the cruise terminal but not onto the ship immediately. You just need a partition dividing the terminal. This is basically what happens at airport terminals. The crew would let you on the ship when they are ready. If you turned up ridiculously early you would wait a long time the same as if you turn up at extremely early at the airport. At the airport they have shops etc. to entertain you at the cruise terminal the lack of these would stop people turning up exceptionally early because you either turn up very early and wait two hours after going through security. So it would be sensible for most to turn up at the allocated time.

Regards John

Interesting as my experiences with Celebrity have actually been faster than RCI. There must have been an unusual event that caused it.

All my check ins with Celebrity (UK, US and Italy) have been around 15 mins from getting out of a taxi to being on board and receiving the complimentary sparkling beverage from a member of the crew. No allocated check in time.

Pete I'd agree with you apart from boarding at the Port of Miami which is okay once you get into the Terminal Building but carnage outside the way coaches, shuttles and drop offs ensued. We boarded Celebrity Equinox last May in Miami caught the Alamo shuttle (very good by the way) but it took us an hour to get from the pavement into the cruise terminal. Crux of the problem was there was no one there from RCI organising the queue and buses were turning up further up the line and the occupants were queue jumping the glacial paced line. Not good in 80 degree heat with pretty horrendous coach exhaust to boot.

Really ready for my Dos Equis when we finally got on the ship.

Very mature, laughing at and pitying other cruise line guests. And for your information RCI do not ‘kick you off’ at 6am.

Not on any of my 20+ sailings with RCI have they started disembarkation at 6am. The earliest I have known those who do ‘self assist’ and carry all their bags off is around 7am. Disembarkation then continues by groups, ending around 9:30. Now that’s not exactly crack of dawn is it? But then again you can’t speak from experience can you as you haven’t sailed on a RCI ‘monster’?

I can’t wait to check in next Sunday for Oasis of the Seas (one of your monsters :)) and my cruise docs suggests check in anytime between 11:30 - 15:30. However, I know some will arrive at around 10:30 and be on board by 11.

Approximate time taken to check in and board will be around 30 minutes for each of the approximately 5400 passengers.

Once again, one of the main differences with RCI is that they perform security scanning before check in, so there are no bottle necks after check in.

Pete I think we will agree to differ on size of ships. One of my favourite holidays was on "lord of the glens" .Google it and you will see why big in my case no way means better.

As regards the laughing...the poster said it was RC passengers laughing at them, that prompted my comment.

From the number of times it has been posted it does sound like pando do check in differently. .why one has no idea. Even if they altered it similar to the other lines do you think it would make it better.If you got on the ship earlier you wouldn't be able to go to your cabin and wandering round with hand luggage wasn't my idea of fun.

As regards disembarkation. I could only go by a relative that cruised with celebrity and was coming to us when they got off the ship. It was them who told us times.

So we have our e tickets and our check in time is 3pm!! It’s the latest we have ever had! And have a 3 year old to occupy for the day until our check in time!

Can you request an earlier check in time? Thanks

What would you go if you were boarding a plane?

Apologies, but here’s our experience of travelling to Terminal 1 at Port Canaveral, Florida to board the ‘monster’ Oasis of the Seas on 15th April.

From our hotel room

e2c0b8246ac9e8f6a3af3c88fd155564.jpg

No mandated check in time specified in our cruise documents, other than a suggested timeframe of 11:00 - 15:00.

Left hotel 10:00 am. Returned rental car to Hertz next door, boarded free shuttle bus to port. Held 10 minutes at the port before getting off and handing our bags to the porter.

Entered terminal at 10:30 am. Cleared security scanning on the lower level, proceeded up the escalator to check in.

Hundreds of people already checked in and waiting to board.

Checked in by 10:45 am, security photo taken and with our cards in our hands, sat and waited to board. At exactly 11:00 am, boarding commenced with consecutive cruisers and suite guests. We are not consecutive cruisers nor in a suite.

At 11:10 we were on board relaxing in Central Park enjoying a drink. Others enjoyed lunch from the Park Cafe as it opened (as did most other lunch venues) at 11:15am.

2f760b68327203af95e8b4d8f7cf3ab3.jpg

At precisely 1pm the cabins were available, and when we got there, so were our 4 suitcases.

e5e8ee63d954a28c91da5bd5971374db.jpg

Great organisation for a ship that holds a maximum of 6,296 guests.

Something P&O need to think about IMHO with the introduction of the new ship holding more passengers than their current largest - Britannia.

Edited by peteukmcr

Just as an update on disembarkation as it was suggested earlier that you have to be off the ship at the crack of dawn.

Self assist started at 6:45 until 8 am. Then the numbered tags started to be called with the last tag scheduled for 10 am.

You could change the tag number allocated to you for an earlier or later if you wanted to by exchanging them at a dedicated line at guest services.

So just to dispel the rumour that you are expected to leave the ship early is not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk