Motion Sickness prevention

On my first cruise and a little worried about motion sickness. We will be leaving out of Vancouver. I plan to have Bonine with me, but should I take this before boarding? Or, can I wait until evening? My thought is to only take it in the evening, or maybe just the days we are at sea all day. We are in port 3 days (Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway). Can I wait to see how I feel, and only take it if I start to feel nauseas? I also plan on having ginger candies, maybe Sea Bands. Our cabin in on Caribe deck, middle of the Coral.

Sea bands are great! They will work quickly..put them on right away and don’t worry...if you do feel more motion sickness do the Bonine...I just bought new sea bands called Queasy beads...they look nice and work awesome,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my first cruise and a little worried about motion sickness. We will be leaving out of Vancouver. I plan to have Bonine with me, but should I take this before boarding? Or, can I wait until evening? My thought is to only take it in the evening, or maybe just the days we are at sea all day. We are in port 3 days (Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway). Can I wait to see how I feel, and only take it if I start to feel nauseas? I also plan on having ginger candies, maybe Sea Bands. Our cabin in on Caribe deck, middle of the Coral.

This works for me...

I take a non-drowsy Dramamine just before boarding and it helps with any initial motion the first day. Also, I try to stay ahead of it if I know we’ll be rolling a bit.

Also carry ginger pieces which can help.

Mostly, always stay ahead of it if you if you are a little worried about it.

The crew also recommend green apples. I can vouch that green apples do settle the stomach. Not sure about red but the green apples work. When you see them at the buffet, grab one and have it in your cabin just in case.

I'm horribly susceptible to motion sickness. I get the patch (TransdermScop) from my doctor. It's prescription in the US or over-the-counter in Canada. I've been through weather where the outer decks were locked off and people who "never get sick" took to their cabins to lie down. I had steak and lobster. Look around at passengers on your ship and you will likely find a few with a little round bandaide looking patch behind their ear. It's good for 3 days and then you switch to the other ear and alternate. It is the only reason I am able to cruise.

I do eat Ginger Chews from The Ginger People but that's just at home because they are awesome. :D For those who recommend ginger as a remedy for motion sickness you might check them out. I get them at Trader Joe's but you can probably get them on Amazon. Heck, you can get just about anything there.

I love those transderm-scop patches. My first cruise is coming up, and I am planning to be over-prepared.

Amazon sells something my friend told me about: relief band. It helped her on her cruise. It sends electrical impulses into your wrist, and has five strength settings, so you can dial it up and down as needed. So it is more... active? ... than sea bands.

https://www.amazon.com/ReliefBand-Motion-Sickness-Device-Batteries/dp/B00VU8XXBE

So I will have the transderm-scop patches, ginger pills (amazon again), bonine, and the relief band.

(I got carsick in the passenger seat of my own car last week, but I keep telling myself it was because I wasn’t prepared).

Edited by marybeshaw
Fix misspelling

Bonine is the bast. I take it before I step on board, and then about every 4-6 hours for the first couple of days. After that, just the instant I feel the first flutter of symptoms. No issues of drowsiness. I buy Bonine in bulk from Amazon, as I use it during my daily train commute as well.

I also put in a vote for Bonine. I always start one day early and take one every evening for the full cruise. I am normally a queezy cruiser and have had no ill effects (even in rough waters) since I started with the Bonine. I love the fact that I do not get drowsy.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

I love those transderm-scop patches. My first cruise is coming up, and I am planning to be over-prepared.

Amazon sells something my friend told me about: relief band. It helped her on her cruise. It sends electrical impulses into your wrist, and has five strength settings, so you can dial it up and down as needed. So it is more... active? ... than sea bands.

https://www.amazon.com/ReliefBand-Motion-Sickness-Device-Batteries/dp/B00VU8XXBE

So I will have the transderm-scop patches, ginger pills (amazon again), bonine, and the relief band.

(I got carsick in the passenger seat of my own car last week, but I keep telling myself it was because I wasn’t prepared).

I'm guessing it is not recommended to take bonine while using the patch! :eek:

Green apples aren't preventative but do work well for existing nausea.

The best type of ginger is Ginger Capsules....real ginger. The candies or ginger ale have little actual ginger in them.

Try the Ginger Chews I mentioned above. They are actually "hot" to many people due to the amount of ginger. I love them.

I get "car sick" when going up mountains around curves, so I was sure I'd get sea sick.

Before our first cruise (23 and counting), I bought Bonine. I've never even opened the box and we've been in some really, really rough seas. It rocks me to sleep when we go to bed.;)

I get motion sickness easily. I buy meclizine at Costco, very good price. Also get ginger capsules, any drugstore. I start taking meclizine the morning of my cruise, then every morning on the cruise. If seas are a little rough, I’ll take a ginger capsule as well. This works good for me.

Since you are leaving out of Vancouver, I would recommend you go to any drug store and buy a motion sickness product called Gravol. There are two kinds- a four hour product and a slow release 12 hour product. These are both ginger based with other goodies added. Neither are available in the USA and are over the counter in BC. We live 4 miles south of the border so we are always stocked up. My wife calls it a life saver.

I purchase the chewable Bonine, usually the generic. I always take one tablet just prior to the sail away. You don't know how the sea will be. An average adult can take up to two tablets a day. I carry a few tablets with me while on the ship. As soon as I feel the ship rolling I take a tablet, maybe two if the sea is very rough. If there is no rolling, I don't take a tablet. OTC motion sickness medicine is preventative. It only works to prevent the sea sickness. Once sea sick it does not really work.

I take candied ginger and ginger tea. DH drinks ginger ale. He used to take bonine. He had jaw pain on one cruise and saw the ship's doctor. The doctor told him to stop taking the bonine. Apparently jaw pain is a rare side effect (1.43% of patients) of Meclizine, usually with patients who have taken it for over a year. He had to see a physical therapist after the cruise.

DH & I are both slightly prone to motion sickness. We use the Walgreens Wal-Dram 24-hour pills. 2 per day & we don't get drowsy. They are meclizine. We start the morning of the cruise & continue to use them the whole time. As others have posted - better to stay ahead of it than try to get over it if it happens. With the big ships, it's possible we wouldn't even need them, but my motto is "better medicated than seasick"

They probably cost more than buying a similar product on Amazon, but we just buy ours on "senior" day at Walgreens and save 20%.

One trick to avoiding sea sickness that works is to avoid watching the waves near the ship. Instead, focus your eyes on the horizon because it will appear to be motionless. You will no doubt be spending time on your cruise enjoying the scenery and looking for whales and dolphins. Scan the horizon instead of the water next to the ship and you will still be able to see dolphins breaching and whales blowing without getting nauseous.

Try the Ginger Chews I mentioned above. They are actually "hot" to many people due to the amount of ginger. I love them.

Yuck....I hate the burn of ginger! The capsules are swallowed and have no after taste....much better! :p I usually take 1 or 2 before each meal.

Do you even know if you might get seasick? Do you get sick in the back of cars on winding roads? Do you get sick on roller coasters? If not, don't worry about it. I am very sensitive and take Bonine in the evening when the captain says it will get a bit rough. I don't like taking medication just in case, but I eat candied ginger and take ginger tablets as a preventative measure.

Talk to your doctor about the patch, and try it before your trip. I cannot use it - the medication causes hallucinations for me.

I have really good success with Sea Bands and Bonine if it's getting rough. Do not wait until the nausea starts. Take the Bonine the minute you feel your equilibrium go "off". I take ginger candy with me just because I really like the stuff.