Am I out of touch with prices?

how on earth can a standard balcony cabin for 2 people for one week be five thousand pounds!!!

Are the norwegian fjords that great???

Supply and demand.

Hoping prices drop to something I can justify

Not happening - ship is almost sold out. Popular itinerary combined with late booking = high prices. Sailings like this usually only have decent prices way early.

Edited by Biker19

It's not that you're out of touch with prices, but rather - pricing TRENDS. This is getting pretty late to book a cruise in August. If the ship is nearing capacity, which it probably is, prices will go up. Simple supply and demand (as Bob said).

I guess it all depends on where you are going and when. In November 2013 we rode Legend on a 16 day Panama Canal cruise. Our inside cabin was about $3100. We have Vision booked for this November with the same itinerary and our inside cabin is about $2900.

8 days at peak season. Extra day and drink package with wifi easily adds $1000.00. Look at the bright side, if you were in Canada it would convert to 9000.00 cad. Just looked at our prices here in the states and the cheapest balcony cabin is a guarantee priced at $5496.32 with no drink package and no wifi. Seems like you got a good deal

I keep measuring it against the last few caribbean 14 night With drinks flights from uk etc. all cost less than that

For 200 quid more I can go on the walls and warriors which is flights to China, all sorts of excursions and it's more than twice as long

Ah well... supply and demand. Exactly!

Try Britannia from P&O or MSC Meraviglia for the Fjords. Even the Queens are much cheaper for similar cruises in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would..but my other half would only go on a P&O etc if he was desperate. What a first world problem!

It's not that you're out of touch with prices, but rather - pricing TRENDS. This is getting pretty late to book a cruise in August. If the ship is nearing capacity, which it probably is, prices will go up. Simple supply and demand (as Bob said).

Is 3 months away really cutting it close? Now I'm worried I should buy the Sept 23rd Oasis sailing sooner rather than wait for the next good sale. 50% off second guest is basically normal price and I don't have kids so that part of the sale is lost on me.

Is 3 months away really cutting it close? Now I'm worried I should buy the Sept 23rd Oasis sailing sooner rather than wait for the next good sale. 50% off second guest is basically normal price and I don't have kids so that part of the sale is lost on me.

It is for something so seldom done such as the Norwegian Fjords. Oasis? probably not.

how on earth can a standard balcony cabin for 2 people for one week be five thousand pounds!!!

Are the norwegian fjords that great???

I am paying that for my oasis cruise in November but it’s in a owners suite

I am actually booked on the very cruise you mention. I booked it about 5 months ago and paid nowhere near the price you are quoting. For some Caribbean cruises, you may be able to get decent deals within 3 months of sail date. But I find with the popular itineraries and cruises like Panama Canal, Europe, etc., it's best to book 6 months to even 1 year ahead. Seems the price only goes up. I actually wish I'd booked mine even earlier than I did.

Prices tend to be inflated when they include promos like free drinks. My philosophy is don't book if the price is too high.

I check prices regularly using a major online travel agent with good search facilities. I can compare prices for sailings in the same month and make some judgements on what is a reasonable price at that time. In my experience prices fluctuate all the time, even for the same sailing.

Norwegian Fjords do seem to command a higher price than other itineraries. I would pay around £1000 per person for a balcony room. Anything less is cheap.

Personally I prefer sailing on a smaller ship for this itinerary.

I suppose the fact that it is so close geographically to where I am (uk) I don't really see it as a bucket list destination Ike the Panama Canal.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Going off to find a small ship now.

Our cruise on Indy next June has gone up £1,000 per person as they have added free car parking, drinks package and tips. We have tips and $150.00 each OBC included and are happy with that as we aren't big drinkers.

Is 3 months away really cutting it close?

Oh my god, YES!!!! That is extremely last minute for booking a cruise! If you want a good price, book when the itinerary is released, which is a year or two in advance, especially for a summer sailing, because those tend to sell out so the last minute “after final payment date” sales don’t really happen.

I booked our cruise the day it was released. I’ve watched prices ever since. I did see the price go down 3 different times, around the 8 month before sailing mark, but it didn’t go down by much and that price wasn’t listed for more than a couple days. Once the final 90 days hit, the price went up by several hundred dollars per person.

Once the final 90 days hit, the price went up by several hundred dollars per person.

What I meant by this was that the price went up by several hundred dollars per person on top of a price that was already a couple hundred dollars more than what we paid.

Maybe it’s different in the European market, but there’s no such thing as a real sale in the US market. Today it’s 50% off each person, tomorrow it’s but one person get one free (aka the same thing, and I’m not sure either of those sales I made up exist).

So you might be waiting for something that doesn’t actually exist.