Die-hard Disney fan cruises the Breeze on 11/8/14 and LOVES it or HATES it???

loveysbydesign

So this was our 4th cruise, 1st time on Carnival. We have cruised RCCL once and Disney twice. We would love to cruise more if we could!

Crew consists of me (celebrating my 40th birthday), hubby and 3 kiddos ages 15, 12 and 7.

DSC04580_zpsb2597f03.jpg

DSC04579_zpsb752bf8d.jpg

DSC04577_zps75e67ce1.jpg

We were originally booked to cruise on the Disney Magic for this same week but due to finances jumped ship to Carnival! We saved over 2k by going from a 7 night cruise on the Disney Magic having 2 inside cabins to an 8 night cruise aboard the Carnival Breeze in 2 cove balcony cabins.

Convincing my Disney family to switch to Carnival was not an easy task. We watched the Food network Guy Fieri special, I showed them videos of the ship and a video of the cove balcony to hubby(we've never had any type of balcony) and then I told them it was the Breeze or no cruise and they finally agreed.

So we booked this cruise in Aug. and I found out in Oct. that this was a Premier slot tournament cruise and that it was almost sold-out! Oh No! I thought the ship was gonna be packed with people, we'd be stuck in long lines and we were all gonna hate the cruise!!!

So we hit the road to drive from PA to Miami, FL on 11/6. The 1st day we drove to Columbia,SC to stay overnight.

DSC04582_zpscba9d37b.jpg

DSC04600_zpsa2cdfecb.jpg

Edited by loveysbydesign

We have driven to FL every year for the past few years to go to WDW, but have not driven as far south as Miami so I left us time to play with in case of bad weather, car issues etc. I did not want to miss the ship!

Then onto Vero Beach, FL for the 2nd night and then finally drove to the port on the 8th.

DSC04603_zps1074b3a3.jpg

DSC04604_zps01f562d8.jpg

DSC04607_zps46eb565d.jpg

Once we got to the port we parked in the parking garage and gathered all our stuff and off we went. It was a mob scene! We had no idea where to go to drop our luggage off and there was no one there to ask, just tons and tons of people. I was shocked as for our last cruises we had never encountered so many people in one place at the one time trying to figure out where to go. It was mass confusion. We finally wandered over to the left and found the porters. They were friendly, but swamped, as it turned out this cruise was sold out! I hoped this was not a sign of what was to come!

Edited by loveysbydesign

As a HUGE Disney fan, I am anxious to read more. I simply couldn't justify the $7200 for a weeklong Disney cruise compared to $2600 on Carnival (extended balcony). We always stay at Disney property when we go to WDW so I am used to high prices at WDW but I just don't understand why the cruises have to be SOOOO much more expensive. I've wanted to do a Disney cruise, but my hubby says NO WAY and honestly I don't think I could ever spend that much more on a cruise to the same place!!!! So, I am waiting to see how you feel about Carnival compared to Disney!!!!

Hooray, I have followers!

I have to say that the Carnival terminal was much more confusing than Disney's terminal in Port Canaveral. I think that is just because of the sheer amount of people that were there at one time. I wish I had taken a picture of it! Once we got inside and knew where to go it was ok, but just trying to get from one area to another was very difficult as we had to weave in and out of everyone and all their carry-on stuff. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but there was sign posted saying no pictures/videos were permitted to be taken! Also at PC there seemed to be more workers there to help guide you where to go and such. I think that is mainly because there are more families at PC for Disney.

So Disney wins terminal rights!

Parking at the port is a tie, although Miami was a little pricier ;)

Edited by loveysbydesign

Forgot to add that as far as embarkation itself goes, we got lucky at check-in. One worker directed us to a desk to check-in at the same time another worker directed someone else to that same open desk. So the 2nd helper said he would take us over at the lower desk, I said no problem, we are just happy to be checking in.

I told him how excited we were to be going on our 1st Carnival cruise and that we were celebrating my 40th birthday ...blah, blah, blah. My kids were actually embarrassed by my behavior and how chatty I was, the guy seemed to enjoy it and went to get us our cards and then gave us a paper stamped with "Priority" on it and said walk right over there, you can board in just a few minutes!!!!!

I was like really?? Wow...there was pixie dust at Carnival too! So we were amongst the 1st probably 40 people to board! It was awesome!

Now I do have to say that for our 1st Disney cruise back in 2009, we got picked as Family of the Day and got to board first! That was amazing!

As a HUGE Disney fan, I am anxious to read more. I simply couldn't justify the $7200 for a weeklong Disney cruise compared to $2600 on Carnival (extended balcony). We always stay at Disney property when we go to WDW so I am used to high prices at WDW but I just don't understand why the cruises have to be SOOOO much more expensive. I've wanted to do a Disney cruise, but my hubby says NO WAY and honestly I don't think I could ever spend that much more on a cruise to the same place!!!! So, I am waiting to see how you feel about Carnival compared to Disney!!!!

I'm exactly the same! I would never stay off-property at WDW, but I just can't seem to justify the cost for a cruise. They seem to be Deluxe-level only on DCL, and have forgotten that there are many people who like to stay at the Moderate or Value resorts! I wish they had cruise cabins that were the equivalent of Port Orleans Riverside, instead of interiors at Polynesian prices, and balconies that make the Grand Floridian look cheap!

Looking forward to your review! I'm interested to see if we've been missing out by using Carnival for our cruises.

I would like to hear your take as well. I have only taken two cruises, both with Disney, and am booked for my first Carnival cruise on the Magic in February. After the Disney Magic and Fantasy, I am anxious how the Carnival Magic will stack up. I know I will miss my characters and Disney shows (I'm pretty sure I liked them more than my kids did, ha ha)!

And when I first cruised Disney it was in an inside cabin, which definitely did not feel like I imagine the Polynesian - I have only done moderate resorts at WDW also, lol.

I'm exactly the same! I would never stay off-property at WDW, but I just can't seem to justify the cost for a cruise. They seem to be Deluxe-level only on DCL, and have forgotten that there are many people who like to stay at the Moderate or Value resorts! I wish they had cruise cabins that were the equivalent of Port Orleans Riverside, instead of interiors at Polynesian prices, and balconies that make the Grand Floridian look cheap!

Looking forward to your review! I'm interested to see if we've been missing out by using Carnival for our cruises.

Count us in on this as well. We visit Disney once or twice per year but always stay at a moderate or sometimes Pop Century. Would love a Disney Cruise but just can't justify the $$. Because then we would have to cut out one of our Disney trips and NO WAY I can do that!!

Kim

Edited by LUVMYGSDOG

Did you stay at Disney's Vero Beach on the way down? Where in Vero did you eat? We'll be there for two nights in Feb prior to our Breeze cruise.

I am from Vero Beach! Waldos/Driftwood Inn is a wonderful restaurant/hotel located on the beach; high end to moderate prices, wonderful food, and a great little piece of Vero Beach's history. Riverside Cafe is on the mainland but located on the Indian River; again, a bit pricey but worth the cost.

Just wanted to get in on this as well. Love these comparison threads.

I had hoped to cruise with Disney when they were cruising out of Galveston but they didn't hang around long enough. I can handle DCL's fare, but add in air fare and a hotel the night before the cruise and I can't bring myself to justify it, no matter how much I love Disney.

Hello,

Another Carnival Fan who has only sail Carnival for the first six cruises. My last cruise was with Holland America and while it was better in a few ways than Carnival it sure did not justify being TWICE the cost of doing the same trip with my favorite cruise line.

I never plan to sail with Disney (too expensive) but I have always told people if they have the money and a family (young children) that Disney has to be the best cruise-line to go on as a family. Would you agree with that assessment if money is not a problem?

I am looking forward to not only what you found good about Carnival but also what you found lacking. I have no plans to stop going with them, but I also give advice to others who ask what it is like to go cruising and I want to give them the most honest description possible.

Please tell all.

Fellow Disney lover here too!!! Excited for your review, haven't cruised with Carnival yet, just disney and Royal Caribbean but a Carnival cruise is somewhere in my future!

When I was younger my family paid about the same if not less for a 7 night on Royal for what we paid 3 night on disney, both two staterooms, that is crazy. Love disney, but it's ridiculous

Sent from my iPad using Forums