Symphony of the Seas Mediterranean

First time doing a European cruise, only done Caribbean so far, so curious about the distances in ports. Itinerary has Naples, La Spezia, Marseille, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. Is the port close enough to any of these cities so that we could walk there just from the port? Or best to take a cab or shuttle of some kind at each.

They usually dock very close to town in Naples. Barcelona would not be walkable directly from the ship, but there is a shuttle that will take you to right outside the port entrance, to the status of Columbus right at the bottom of Las Ramblas.

There will be more info in the port of call forums:

Italy:https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

France:https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593

Spain:https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

Edited by Host Clarea

Naples - you can just walk off the ship

La Spezia - there´s free port shuttle taking you to the terminal building - you can walk from there

Marseilles - walk about 10 min for the free port shuttle which takes you close to Place de la Joliette - this is close to the historic downtown center (RCI will also offer a shuttle but way to expensive)

La Palma - the port offers a shuttle to downtown near the cathedral, used to be 5 Euro

Barcelona - port shuttle to Columbus column at the end of La Rambla is 4 Euro/roundtrip

I assume you board in Civitavecchia?

steamboats

Yeah, we're sailing from/to Civitavecchia. Thanks for all the advice its really appreciated. Never been to any of these places and excited to be able to see them for the first time.

I agree with previous posters.

All bar Marseille are walkable if you like walking but taxi's are cheap and plentiful.

We have done all these ports many times and there are some fantastic places to see.

If you can try and have a few nights in a hotel in Rome and sightsee as Rome is the premier attraction in the Mediterranean.

Civitevechia port is about 1 hour from Rome.

First time doing a European cruise, only done Caribbean so far, so curious about the distances in ports. Itinerary has Naples, La Spezia, Marseille, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca.

First time in Europe as well?

Symphony is likely you very worst choice for a ship. You will have to decide whether you want on this 7 day cruise to actually see the ports in Europe or miss things ashore to enjoy the ship. The itinerary is heavily weighted on the port stops. Note there are many experienced Oasis Class cruisers here who have sailed on Oasis and cannot do everything on board within 7 days even on Caribbean itineraries where they don’t get off the ship. Also note you’ll be getting off at ports with 5000 other people.

I would very seriously reconsider. Save Symphony for a Caribean Cruise and book Jewel or Vision in Europe

Symphony is likely you very worst choice for a ship. You will have to decide whether you want on this 7 day cruise to actually see the ports in Europe or miss things ashore to enjoy the ship. The itinerary is heavily weighted on the port stops. Note there are many experienced Oasis Class cruisers here who have sailed on Oasis and cannot do everything on board within 7 days even on Caribbean itineraries where they don’t get off the ship. Also note you’ll be getting off at ports with 5000 other people.

I would very seriously reconsider. Save Symphony for a Caribean Cruise and book Jewel or Vision in Europe

We did Harmony 3 times in 2016 and Allure in 2015 both on their maiden season out of Barcelona.

We never had any problems with the number of passengers.

Embarkation is from Barcelona and Rome on this 7 night cruise so it splits the number of embarking and disembarking guests between the 2 ports.

The ship is fantastic and if you do half day tours or taxis you will still have lots of time on the ship.

You have made a fantastic choice of ship in no way would I consider cancelling your cruise and re booking Jewel or Vision.

Albeit they are fine ships I have cruised on them both many times but honestly there is absolutely no comparison.

All European itineraries no matter if you are cruising on Jewel Vision Navigator Independence or Harmony all have many ports so go ahead enjoy the ports of call if only for a couple of hours or so ( you haven't got to get off every day all day) and when you get back on board enjoy the ship and fabulous facilities.

We've been lucky enough to sail on Oasis once in the Caribbean and Harmony twice once in Europe and once in the Caribbean and have Symphony booked we've honestly never noticed the 5000 plus cruisers either on board or indeed getting on or off to he ship.

RCI have everything worked out and everything runs so very smoothly don't give it a second thought.

Enjoy your cruise you've made a fantastic choice.

The ship is fantastic and if you do half day tours or taxis you will still have lots of time on the ship.

Sigh :(

go ahead enjoy the ports of call if only for a couple of hours or so ( you haven't got to get off every day all day) and when you get back on board enjoy the ship and fabulous facilities

Both of you supported my argument

First time doing a European cruise, only done Caribbean so far, so curious about the distances in ports. Itinerary has Naples, La Spezia, Marseille, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. Is the port close enough to any of these cities so that we could walk there just from the port? Or best to take a cab or shuttle of some kind at each.

When do you sail?

Also note you’ll be getting off at ports with 5000 other people.

Which doesn´t really matter in those ports.

In Barcelona or Civitavecchia there are usually 5 or more ships. Way more than those 5K pax of the Symphony.

In La Spezia it will be the only ship docking (maybe another one tendering). Marseille has room for another ship. Naples can have 2 or 3 more ships in port.

Yes, what´s offered on board is overwhelming. I´ve been on all Oasis class ships so I know my way round. For a first timer it can be too much.

steamboats

Which doesn´t really matter in those ports.

In Barcelona or Civitavecchia there are usually 5 or more ships. Way more than those 5K pax of the Symphony.

In La Spezia it will be the only ship docking (maybe another one tendering). Marseille has room for another ship. Naples can have 2 or 3 more ships in port.

Yes, what´s offered on board is overwhelming. I´ve been on all Oasis class ships so I know my way round. For a first timer it can be too much.

steamboats

I agree these ports are well used to dealing with numerous ships and passengers so we have never experienced any delays.

We did Harmony 3 times in 2016 and Allure in 2015 both on their maiden season out of Barcelona.

We never had any problems with the number of passengers.

Embarkation is from Barcelona and Rome on this 7 night cruise so it splits the number of embarking and disembarking guests between the 2 ports.

I agree. We were did Med cruise on Allure and really enjoyed it. It was our first time on an Oasis class ship but we didn't feel we missed out anything.

I agree these ports are well used to dealing with numerous ships and passengers so we have never experienced any delays.

I agree with Hoopster's points. The deal is the Oasis class ships are really a vacation unto themselves, and cruises to the Med are very very port intensive if you have never been before. I mean in the Cartibbean the Oasis parks in Nassau.... Perfect reason to stay on the ship and do the ship. With fewer people on board you can really explore and maximize ship time. No way an American is going to fly all the way to Rome to stay on the ship in Marseille. So, if the cost of the Symphony is $2000 more for a family of four. Wouldn't it make more sense to sail on the Jewel or Brilliance or whatever regular RCI ship is there? If the cost is the same then yes choice of ship doesn't matter. Med cruises are exhausting because the time in the ports is much longer and there is much more to see in port.

JMHO

JC

Good afternoon Hoopster95

We sail on Symphony in Aug 18 on our very first cruise.

I am looking at as much info as i can (that is available) on the RCI website to try and build up an itinerary.

do you have more info to help,

So far i cant see how there is that much on a ship which would mean port trips get in the way.

I now worried i am missing a big section of data about activities.

we are a family of 4 (10 and 13 yrs) and can see things like flowrider, zip wire, swimming, ice skating, shows,

Being that there are 7 days to cover this off i see that i have plenty of time.

Thanks

I agree with Hoopster's points. The deal is the Oasis class ships are really a vacation unto themselves, and cruises to the Med are very very port intensive if you have never been before. I mean in the Cartibbean the Oasis parks in Nassau.... Perfect reason to stay on the ship and do the ship. With fewer people on board you can really explore and maximize ship time. No way an American is going to fly all the way to Rome to stay on the ship in Marseille. So, if the cost of the Symphony is $2000 more for a family of four. Wouldn't it make more sense to sail on the Jewel or Brilliance or whatever regular RCI ship is there? If the cost is the same then yes choice of ship doesn't matter. Med cruises are exhausting because the time in the ports is much longer and there is much more to see in port.

JMHO

JC

I would agree if i was from the US but the ports have so much history it would be a shame to miss them.The vast majority of the passengers are from Europe though.

Good afternoon Hoopster95

We sail on Symphony in Aug 18 on our very first cruise.

I am looking at as much info as i can (that is available) on the RCI website to try and build up an itinerary.

do you have more info to help,

So far i cant see how there is that much on a ship which would mean port trips get in the way.

I now worried i am missing a big section of data about activities.

we are a family of 4 (10 and 13 yrs) and can see things like flowrider, zip wire, swimming, ice skating, shows,

Being that there are 7 days to cover this off i see that i have plenty of time.

Thanks

You have lots of time to do everything.

I would agree if i was from the US but the ports have so much history it would be a shame to miss them.The vast majority of the passengers are from Europe though.

Yes, but I am guessing that the OP is from my side of the pond, since they have done many Caribbean cruises.

If the price of the Symphony is a lot higher than other RCI ships, then paying for the extras the ship offers makes less sense, to me. Than saying a sailing from Ft. Lauderdale going to the east or western Caribbean. Where the extras of the ship justify paying more for the same ports.

JC

Yes, but I am guessing that the OP is from my side of the pond, since they have done many Caribbean cruises.

If the price of the Symphony is a lot higher than other RCI ships, then paying for the extras the ship offers makes less sense, to me. Than saying a sailing from Ft. Lauderdale going to the east or western Caribbean. Where the extras of the ship justify paying more for the same ports.

JC

Most Americans i have spoken to in the DL go on most of the tours because thats why they come to Europe.

JC

The price of Symphony is higher because it is a brand new ship on her maiden season.

The price of Symphony is higher because it is a brand new ship on her maiden season.

Exactly my point. It is more expensive and doing a Med cruise as an American, your primary reason to go is probably not the ship, it is the ports, and you are paying for a ship you are not going to really get to enjoy fully because your days are going to be on shore and not on the ship.

JC

I would agree if i was from the US but the ports have so much history it would be a shame to miss them.
You have lots of time to do everything.

Wait a second... which one is it? You do have time to do everything on Symphony? Or will it be a shame to miss the ports?

Will the original poster have time to tour Marseille and see Notre Dame/French Riviera, Cinque Terra or Pisa/Florence, La Sagrada Familia/Guell Park/Montjuic in Barcelona just to name a few... and still get back on the ship in time around 7pm (after being off the ship at 8am) to have dinner and see all the shows....

or should they travel, with their kids in tow, all the way to Rome so that they can spend their time on the Florider, inside the Promenade, ensuring they see both Aqua shows as well as the Broadway shows, and not miss the Comedy Show nor Jazz on 4, nor a ship behind the scenes tour, nor the slides, nor the pools, nor the DL/CL lounges.... waaaay more important doing these on board ship things than seeing Capri and Pompeii. :rolleyes:

They should just stay home and take yet another Caribbean cruise on one of the 4 Oasis Class ships this coming winter if this is the case.

Exactly my point. It is more expensive and doing a Med cruise as an American, your primary reason to go is probably not the ship, it is the ports, and you are paying for a ship you are not going to really get to enjoy fully because your days are going to be on shore and not on the ship.

JC

I agree.

For us Allure 2015, Harmony 2016 and Norwegian Gem 2007 P&O Arcadia,Ventura,Azura, Britannia they were maiden voyages on brand new ships.

Maybe the person in question wanted to sail on a brand new ship for fantastic facilities for his kids.

Some people sail in inside cabins and some it top suites and some on every new ship.

I do understand your point though.

Wait a second... which one is it? You do have time to do everything on Symphony? Or will it be a shame to miss the ports?

Will the original poster have time to tour Marseille and see Notre Dame/French Riviera, Cinque Terra or Pisa/Florence, La Sagrada Familia/Guell Park/Montjuic in Barcelona just to name a few... and still get back on the ship in time around 7pm (after being off the ship at 8am) to have dinner and see all the shows....

or should they travel, with their kids in tow, all the way to Rome so that they can spend their time on the Florider, inside the Promenade, ensuring they see both Aqua shows as well as the Broadway shows, and not miss the Comedy Show nor Jazz on 4, nor a ship behind the scenes tour, nor the slides, nor the pools, nor the DL/CL lounges.... waaaay more important doing these on board ship things than seeing Capri and Pompeii. :rolleyes:

They should just stay home and take yet another Caribbean cruise on one of the 4 Oasis Class ships this coming winter if this is the case.

As someone who has seen all these ports at least 10 times and done many tours yes i believe you can do both on a 7 night cruise.

Some tours are all day but most are not plus you have a sea day too.

As someone who has seen all these ports at least 10 times and done many tours yes i believe you can do both on a 7 night cruise.

Some tours are all day but most are not plus you have a sea day too.

You could always do a b2b and truly get the best of both.

Regards Graham.