Centrelink overseas travel advice.

Have just gone online to advise Centrelink that we are going overseas for 6 weeks and 2 days - beginning and ending dates advised to them. It seems that some things get stopped after 6 weeks and whilst I have advised them of a return date, their website seems to imply that we need to advise them on our return for these things to start up again. I can't remember ever having to do anything before when we have been overseas for longer than 6 weeks - but things may have changed.

Any advice please ??

Have just gone online to advise Centrelink that we are going overseas for 6 weeks and 2 days - beginning and ending dates advised to them. It seems that some things get stopped after 6 weeks and whilst I have advised them of a return date, their website seems to imply that we need to advise them on our return for these things to start up again. I can't remember ever having to do anything before when we have been overseas for longer than 6 weeks - but things may have changed.

Any advice please ??

Remember that Centrelink take responsibility for nothing.

Do on-line or email notification, but don't rely on them. You need some sort of proof that you have contacted them, otherwise if they stuff up, they will deny everything.

Personally I would go in to their office to notify them and ask for written confirmation.

Any advice please ??

This is from there site,,,,,,,,

When to tell us your travel plans

You need to tell us you’re leaving Australia if you:

• are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • get payments under a social security agreement with another country
  • came back to live in Australia within the last 2 years and started getting Age Pension since then

Otherwise you don’t need to tell us about your travel. The immigration department will tell us when you leave and return.

Good advice from Sinbad. When things go pear shaped it takes ages to fix it all back up again. Tell them over and over until they tell you to bugger off! Voice of experience speaking!

Steve.

This is from there site,,,,,,,,

When to tell us your travel plans

You need to tell us you’re leaving Australia if you:

• are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • get payments under a social security agreement with another country
  • came back to live in Australia within the last 2 years and started getting Age Pension since then

Otherwise you don’t need to tell us about your travel. The immigration department will tell us when you leave and return.

How confusing, not that it applies to us, for they give us zilch, but if Immigration Dept advises Centrelink of those leaving/entering, why the hell does one have to notify Centrelink? Crazy.:rolleyes:

I know of a couple who didn’t notify Centerlink - they were just touching into Bali for the day, and when they returned the pharmacy told them their scripts would be full price as Centrelink had revoked their entitlements. They got them back but there was a bit of distress involved.

I know of a couple who didn’t notify Centerlink - they were just touching into Bali for the day, and when they returned the pharmacy told them their scripts would be full price as Centrelink had revoked their entitlements. They got them back but there was a bit of distress involved.

That would be a worry, I hope they don't revoke our Commonwealth Seniors Health Card whilst we are away for 8 weeks as I need that to get my 6 boxes of 'stay alive pill's per month.:halo:

That would be a worry, I hope they don't revoke our Commonwealth Seniors Health Card whilst we are away for 8 weeks as I need that to get my 6 boxes of 'stay alive pill's per month.:halo:

That happened to us a couple of years ago and we had to resubmit almost all our info all over again. Thank heavens the length of time has been extended now or we'd be in trouble a couple of times a year.

So having notified them on MyGov, will our Commonwealth Seniors Health Card still be active after 8 weeks overseas? :o:(As I will need to re stock my 'stay alive pills' at the concession price, one of them is $120 a box if no concession applied.

So having notified them on MyGov, will our Commonwealth Seniors Health Card still be active after 8 weeks overseas? :o:(As I will need to re stock my 'stay alive pills' at the concession price, one of them is $120 a box if no concession applied.

Yes it will, from the DHS site -

From 1 January 2015, a CSHC holder can travel overseas for up to 19 weeks before their card is cancelled. This change reduces the administrative burden on seniors and Centrelink. If a CSHC holder returns to Australia after an absence of more than 19 weeks, they will need to lodge a new claim for the CSHC.

A person who was absent from Australia from 1 January 2015 when the new rules came into effect, and was a holder of a CSHC, benefits from the increased portability period for the CSHC from six to 19 weeks.

Portability of the Energy Supplement has not changed and continues to be payable only for a maximum of six weeks overseas.

Yes it will, from the DHS site -

From 1 January 2015, a CSHC holder can travel overseas for up to 19 weeks before their card is cancelled. This change reduces the administrative burden on seniors and Centrelink. If a CSHC holder returns to Australia after an absence of more than 19 weeks, they will need to lodge a new claim for the CSHC.

A person who was absent from Australia from 1 January 2015 when the new rules came into effect, and was a holder of a CSHC, benefits from the increased portability period for the CSHC from six to 19 weeks.

Portability of the Energy Supplement has not changed and continues to be payable only for a maximum of six weeks overseas.

Thanks very much for that advice Mic. Helps me a lot. Do you 'bulk bill?' lol.:')

Thanks very much for that advice Mic. Helps me a lot. Do you 'bulk bill?' lol.:')

Always let them know when you are leaving and when you are back just in case.

BTW, I am having a nice Cab merlot right now so feeling very generous, so no bulk billing for you Uncle Les, as I won't even charge;p