Cruise from Southampton in October?

My inlaws are celebrating their golden wedding anniversary next year and we have suggested taking them on their first cruise - my hubby and I have been on 3 now and they seem to like the idea. neither of them will fly which restricts us to leaving from Southampton port. Their anniversary is in October and I've seen a 5 night Royal Caribbean cruise but wondered what the seas/weather is like at this time of year? It will be travelling to Northern Spain and somewhere in France plus Guernsey I think.

Not sure whether to just do a taster cruise in August when the weather should be much warmer, I've also seen a 3 night one with Royal and I'm thinking we would get more time outdoors by going at this time of year. I don't think they are bothered about the itinerary, they just want to experience a cruise... I'm torn and don't know what to do! If it's choppy and cold late October then I think it would put them off forever ha ha!!

Early or late October?

Sea conditions are like the weather - pretty unpredictable in our corner of Europe, but the earlier the better and October into November is pushing your luck.

The English Channel and Bay of Biscay are more often calm than not, but both can be pretty uncomfortable in rough weather, even on a large cruise ship. And even if the seas are tolerably calm, the later in the year the more likely it is to be cooler and the skies to be more grey.

I'd say the hell with the golden anniversary date, and go for the August cruise.

Nothing suitable in September?

Whilst August is a more expensive time of year hopefully being only 3 days it'll be cheaper and you could perhaps spend the difference on some other little surprise on their anniversary day.

One caveat - 2 to 3 day cruises can attract the party-types, esp on Royal Caribbean or P&O. Stag and Hen parties for instance.

Is that one mid-week or weekend?

I don't suppose that cruise lines like Celebrity or Princess offer something similar? At least as glitzy but without the toys (wave-rider, climbing wall, etc) and attract a more mature & laid-back clientele than Royal Caribbean.

Just my thoughts

JB :)

Edited to add. Guernsey is a tender port. It's often missed due to high swells - and in October the prospects of missing it are greater

The weather round the British Isles is totally unpredictable at that distance. The sea could be rough or mill pond flat. Heading South means crossing The Bay of Biscay which can get pretty rough, but modern cruise ships are so stabilised that it takes a real storm to make them rock.

The trick is to pick a ship that they will like - are they into dancing or do they want a spectacular show, or maybe more educational stuff. Personally, I would go for the Azores to get further South still.

We are doing a 10 day Princess Southampton to Rome cruise that departs on October 31. The ports are fantastic and will be much cooler in the med for touring than in the summer. Prepared for cloudy and rainy weather ....... the key is to be flexible and plan for both indoor and outdoor excursions.

We've done 2 'late' cruises out of Southampton. We did a TA which started on Nov 23rd a few years ago. Weather was fine, but very windy (especially noticable on the US beaches in Normandy!!), but it was pleasent enough and very warm in Vigo (Spain) and Funchal (Madeira). Couple of years ago did a Christmas cruise down to the Canaries. The islands were warm and the weather good. Biscay was a bit lumpy going out, but a millpond coming back.

As said, the weather is totally unpredictable, but cross your fingers and hope for the best, or if you are a 'glass half empty' type, prepare for the worst!!!

Simon

Early or late October?

Sea conditions are like the weather - pretty unpredictable in our corner of Europe, but the earlier the better and October into November is pushing your luck.

The English Channel and Bay of Biscay are more often calm than not, but both can be pretty uncomfortable in rough weather, even on a large cruise ship. And even if the seas are tolerably calm, the later in the year the more likely it is to be cooler and the skies to be more grey.

I'd say the hell with the golden anniversary date, and go for the August cruise.

Nothing suitable in September?

Whilst August is a more expensive time of year hopefully being only 3 days it'll be cheaper and you could perhaps spend the difference on some other little surprise on their anniversary day.

One caveat - 2 to 3 day cruises can attract the party-types, esp on Royal Caribbean or P&O. Stag and Hen parties for instance.

Is that one mid-week or weekend?

I don't suppose that cruise lines like Celebrity or Princess offer something similar? At least as glitzy but without the toys (wave-rider, climbing wall, etc) and attract a more mature & laid-back clientele than Royal Caribbean.

Just my thoughts

Edited to add. Guernsey is a tender port. It's often missed due to high swells - and in October the prospects of missing it are greater

Celebrity do do short cruises one of which recently turned out to be far worse than RCI or P&an as they offered a free booze package and could not understand why they had so many drunks on board. Most never stopped drinking for the whole cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Celebrity do do short cruises one of which recently turned out to be far worse than RCI or P&an as they offered a free booze package and could not understand why they had so many drunks on board. Most never stopped drinking for the whole cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh dear. Partying Brits do like to get their money's-worth.

Celebrity should never under-estimate a Brit's ability to drink. :beer-mug: :beer-mug: :beer-mug:

Or their inability to hold that drink :rolleyes:

Oh dear. Partying Brits do like to get their money's-worth.

Age is also a factor!

Celebrity should never under-estimate a Brit's ability to drink. :beer-mug: :beer-mug: :beer-mug:

When I was at Uni nearly 40 years ago(!), I could drink 10 pints a night no problem.

Or their inability to hold that drink :rolleyes:

Went to our local for a meal last night...had one pint and a glass of wine...almost fell over on the walk home!!!

Simon