Brooklyn Cruise Port

quilter49

We are going on a New England cruise on the Regal on 9/22 from the Brooklyn Cruise Port. Can someone suggest a hotel near the cruise port? I hear that we should fly into LaGuardia because this is the closest. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa

We are going on a New England cruise on the Regal on 9/22 from the Brooklyn Cruise Port. Can someone suggest a hotel near the cruise port? I hear that we should fly into LaGuardia because this is the closest. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa

What's your hotel budget? How many people? What time do you think you might arrive at LGA?

Your date is during high season in NYC.

We are on the same cruise out of the Brooklyn Cruise Port. Flying in the day before and staying at the Best Western Plus Arena Hotel in Brooklyn. It is highly rated, great price for the area, and nice breakfast in the morning. I hope this helps.

We are on the same cruise out of the Brooklyn Cruise Port. Flying in the day before and staying at the Best Western Plus Arena Hotel in Brooklyn. It is highly rated, great price for the area, and nice breakfast in the morning. I hope this helps.

I’m not too crazy about the location of this property. I’m sure the immediate area is fine, but a couple of blocks in either direction very urban.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m not too crazy about the location of this property. I’m sure the immediate area is fine, but a couple of blocks in either direction very urban.

I'm not convinced that staying in Brooklyn is always the best strategy on a weekend night if you arrive earlier in the day. There's nothing sacred about staying near the Brooklyn Cruiseport.

The downtown Manhattan hotels often have really good weekend prices on discount sites. There are interesting and safe places to walk - 911 Memorial, Freedom Tower, Trinity Church, Wall Street, Battery Park for views of the SOL, free Staten Island Ferry. There is a MTA water taxi from Pier 11 right to the Brooklyn Cruiseport for about $3/pp - totally accessible - all you have to do is be able to roll your luggage. I don't find the lower Manhattan area to be sketchy like some areas of Brooklyn.

Just my 2 cents, suffice to say, best to reconsider changing that BW Hotel booking on Atlantic Avenue in the Crown Heights area of Brooklyn, it's a long stretch away from the downtown Sports Arena ... and, a long walk to/from the nearest subway station. It is next to the elevated LIRR train tracks above ground - I occasionally drive/zip thru that area from work to dodge urban traffic gridlock congestion as a last resort only from SW Brooklyn to NE Queens. Not recommended, IMHO.

Please do a Google Map/Street or Earth View to see for yourself. For out-of-town CC visitors, it is going to be an eye-opener - it's one thing to be frugal but spend a little extra money wisely, no need to thank me or Got2Cruise for the advise. There is absolutely almost nothing around that area unless you plan to head straight to the hotel from the airport on arrival, order pizza or Chinese takeout delivery and call for a local car service straight to Red Hook cruise for embarkation the next morning.

If you must book (no reasons to, really) stay away from that area & book near/closer to the Park Slope & 4th Avenue area, toward Carroll Gardens. Otherwise, do a Hotwire or TripAdvisor search for deals & specials in the downtown Manhattan area as 138east/Carol suggested - check those travelers reviews & comments.

Safe travel & happy cruising.

The issue with Brooklyn is that even though one or two blocks have under gone gentrification, very close by are blocks in urban decay.

I have recommended Marriott Brooklyn Bridge. I know it because it’s right near Court Street where the NYC DOE is located. LOL. But usually when I check the price it’s crazy expensive. But you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan from here.

Just my 2 cents, suffice to say, best to reconsider changing that BW Hotel booking on Atlantic Avenue in the Crown Heights area of Brooklyn, it's a long stretch away from the downtown Sports Arena ... and, a long walk to/from the nearest subway station. It is next to the elevated LIRR train tracks above ground - I occasionally drive/zip thru that area from work to dodge urban traffic gridlock congestion as a last resort only from SW Brooklyn to NE Queens. Not recommended, IMHO.

Please do a Google Map/Street or Earth View to see for yourself. For out-of-town CC visitors, it is going to be an eye-opener - it's one thing to be frugal but spend a little extra money wisely, no need to thank me or Got2Cruise for the advise. There is absolutely almost nothing around that area unless you plan to head straight to the hotel from the airport on arrival, order pizza or Chinese takeout delivery and call for a local car service straight to Red Hook cruise for embarkation the next morning.

If you must book (no reasons to, really) stay away from that area & book near/closer to the Park Slope & 4th Avenue area, toward Carroll Gardens. Otherwise, do a Hotwire or TripAdvisor search for deals & specials in the downtown Manhattan area as 138east/Carol suggested - check those travelers reviews & comments.

Safe travel & happy cruising.

As a Brooklynite I second this advice. In Park Slope there is a Holiday Inn Express on Union Street and a LaQuinta Inn & Suites on 3rd Ave (It says Downtown but it's really not in the downtown area). Both hotels are close to the subway and are close to the cruiseport.The Holiday Inn Express, in my opinion, is in a better location.....subway is a half block away, Dinosaur BBQ is across the street and Ample Hills Creamery (ice cream galore) is a couple of blocks down. One block east is 5th Ave with restaurants and shops galore. The LaQuinta is a little further away from restaurants, etc but still a better location than the Best Western.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Love the beach

Lisa

I lived in Brooklyn most of my life and I would never go into the area of the cruiseport .The only decent hotel I a, aware of is near the Supreme Court building ,a Marriott.

Another hotel you might consider is the Best Western Gregory. It is in a residential neighborhood (Bay Ridge) on 4th Ave, near subway, and one block in either direction (3rd or 5th Ave) you have shops & restaurants. It is a 20-30 minute car ride to the port. It is further away from Manhattan so a longer subway ride there.....It has been around a long time and family members have stayed there before the newer ones mentioned above were built.

Another hotel you might consider is the Best Western Gregory. It is in a residential neighborhood (Bay Ridge) on 4th Ave, near subway, and one block in either direction (3rd or 5th Ave) you have shops & restaurants. It is a 20-30 minute car ride to the port. It is further away from Manhattan so a longer subway ride there.....It has been around a long time and family members have stayed there before the newer ones mentioned above were built.

I forgot about the Gregory .That is a great choice .The neighborhood is quite nice.

Another Brooklynite here, and I would not stay at that Best Western. Nostrand Ave is very busy late into the night but it may make you uncomfortable if not used to urban life.

LIRR service is spotty, and not worth the cost to go one stop to Downtown Brooklyn, weekends it is service every 30 minutes and rush hours trains skip the stop and then pay to use the subway truly not worth it. You could walk to the subway on Fulton which would be the A or C.

If you want anything cooked on an open drum Jerk style then this is the area to go to.

HI;

I'm looking on GoogleMaps, and I see a Sheraton/Aloft on Duffield. It looks like a good area? Any comments from you in the know and/or locals?

Thanks

This is in the heart of the "downtown" area....not really residential but lots of office buildings, court houses, stores, etc. It is withing a few blocks of everything.....reviews seem to be mixed.

This is in the heart of the "downtown" area....not really residential but lots of office buildings, court houses, stores, etc. It is withing a few blocks of everything.....reviews seem to be mixed.

Thanks for the response. I would like to see some reviews........is this a Tripadvisor thing? Is there another source that you might know about? The downtown area (non-residential) seems ok with me, but I suppose that there won't be any grocery stores in proximity.

Scanditaly

... The downtown area (non-residential) seems ok with me, but I suppose that there won't be any grocery stores in proximity.

Scanditaly

It's about 1.5 city block west of the busy Fulton Street shopping/pedestrian mall, including the Macy's Dept Store (haven't been there in years) - hotel is in the mostly high-rise office/commercial building, with a few historic brownstone homes - there is a Target store 3 or 4 blocks away and also a Trader's Joe, where you should find grocery items. Google is your friend for a search - same with reviews on the hotel to go along with those on TripAdvisor, which I also use/post to on mostly oversea trips. It's just off the Flatbush Ave/Extension, coming off the Manhattan Bridge, easy to catch a car service if coming back late to the hotel, as the area is quiet after 9 to 10 PM ... Junior's Restaurant ("famous" for its cheesecake) is nearby and the area is far better & mostly safe to walk around - urban street-smart traveler's caution are advised regardless where one go these days.

Interested in this thread as we have booked the Brooklyn Hilton pre-cruise this time. Last cruise we stayed at the mid-town Hilton and while it was fine, we thought staying in Brooklyn would be an interesting change. Is any one familiar with the area surrounding the Brooklyn Hilton, 140 Schermerhorn St.?

Interested in this thread as we have booked the Brooklyn Hilton pre-cruise this time. Last cruise we stayed at the mid-town Hilton and while it was fine, we thought staying in Brooklyn would be an interesting change. Is any one familiar with the area surrounding the Brooklyn Hilton, 140 Schermerhorn St.?

Same vicinity as the Aloft...just a couple of blocks away.