Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:39 PM.
RI
1,756 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
FWIW, When we were on the Regal in January I loved the new internet even without the OM in our room. We had a new WIFI modem in the room not down the hall, great connection. I could use my cruise card on a sensor by the public monitors around the ship to create an aviator for myself. Then when passing another monitor and touching my cruise card to the sensor my aviator would come swimming into view. I know big deal but most of the system IMHO is working, it just need a few gallons of polish. In the short term I see the issue of unlocking your door as the main obstacle to getting people happy. The rest of the things that they want it to do can be added and refined later.

framer
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=152479&dateline=15162  13139
Nebraska
1,990 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by whatcruiseisnext
Our first experience with OM is positive. Arrived at the port 7 minutes ago from our hotel to board for the Regal TA. Greeted by name as we walked to the line and were whisked away to another area, processed through and were sitting down in the Elite lounge 7 minutes later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can’t wait to hear more!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Newport, South Wales, UK
2,786 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Our first experience with OM is positive. Arrived at the port 7 minutes ago from our hotel to board for the Regal TA. Greeted by name as we walked to the line and were whisked away to another area, processed through and were sitting down in the Elite lounge 7 minutes later.

Last time we sailed from Southampton, it took us a similar time to check in with the 'old' system. So no real advantage/benefit there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Royal Princess - Western Caribbean & 3 night Miami Stay 5th Jan 2019
Island Princess - Pacific Wine Country & 3 night Seattle stay 24th April 2019

Coral Princess - Rio, Iguazu Falls, South America Cruise & Machu Picchu 20th Feb 2020

1,931 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Haboob
::nods::

But that is shoreside without all the nasty metal bulkheads and saltwater spray.

I stated that I’d report how the OM was working as there are so many questions. I will continue to do so.

1,931 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by newport dave
Last time we sailed from Southampton, it took us a similar time to check in with the 'old' system. So no real advantage/benefit there.

Didn’t say it was an advantage. I had stated I would report in detail how the OM worked for us.

1,931 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
The OM worked fine to open our door ... the first time. I will continue to update how it continues to work throughout the cruise. Easy to sign onto Medallion.Net which is available to all cruisers not just OM. It’s very fast.....at least right now.

Newport, South Wales, UK
2,786 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Didn’t say it was an advantage. I had stated I would report in detail how the OM worked for us.

Sorry, thought you were pointing out how easy and fast it was checking in, compared to the normal method...

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Royal Princess - Western Caribbean & 3 night Miami Stay 5th Jan 2019
Island Princess - Pacific Wine Country & 3 night Seattle stay 24th April 2019

Coral Princess - Rio, Iguazu Falls, South America Cruise & Machu Picchu 20th Feb 2020

14 Miles From LA Port
2,719 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by framer
...Then when passing another monitor and touching my cruise card to the sensor my aviator would come swimming into view...
The sales pitch had that type of monitor in your cabin. Everyone would set up aviator and give permissions to your group. As you moved around the ship, the OM would be picked up by multiple sensors. Your party was to has access to this info by way of ANY monitor on board and show your location. it was unclear if location was just a deck and area or triangulated to actual point on any deck.base ap
From info on this board the issue MAY NOT be the OM itself, but the MULTIPLE aps that have to interact with the OM system AND the other aps. There is a post from a pax that the primary ap had issues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anything that doesn't kill you,,, just hurts a hell of a lot
Sea Princess 2/2002 Mexico, Star Princess 2/2003 Mexico (2nd time), Carnival Pride 10/2004 Mexico (3rd time), Diamond Princess 5/2005 Alaska, Sapphire Princess 12/2005 Mexico (4th time), Dawn Princess 11/2006 Mexico (5th time), Caribbean Princess 6/2007 W. Caribbean, Golden Princess 11/2007 Mexico (6th time), Sapphire Princess 11/2008 Mexico (7th time), Star Princess 6/2009 Alaska, Mariner of the Seas 12/2009 Mexico (8th time), Sapphire Princess 12/2010 Mexico (9th time), Coral Princess 10/2011 Trans Panama Canal, Ruby Princess 4/23/2019 Alaska
London, UK
602 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
The OM worked fine to open our door ... the first time. I will continue to update how it continues to work throughout the cruise. Easy to sign onto Medallion.Net which is available to all cruisers not just OM. It’s very fast.....at least right now.
Thanks for the updates. Did you still have to show your cruise card and get photographed by security to get onboard or do they now read the Medallion at the security point?
Portland
418 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
I stated that I’d report how the OM was working as there are so many questions. I will continue to do so.

Thank you for sharing updates! Enjoy your cruise!
14 Miles From LA Port
2,719 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by dides
Did you still have to show your cruise card and get photographed by security to get onboard
Again from info still online. While doing personalizer, you actually take photo of your passport (no info about other types of I.D.). Their claim was you arrive at cruise center wearing OM. and go directly to security and board ship. There was no mention if I.D. photo is to be used or the cruise card photo system does another photo. Since there are people who will refuse to use OM I think the old machines will still be used to take everyone's photo at embarkation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess 2/2002 Mexico, Star Princess 2/2003 Mexico (2nd time), Carnival Pride 10/2004 Mexico (3rd time), Diamond Princess 5/2005 Alaska, Sapphire Princess 12/2005 Mexico (4th time), Dawn Princess 11/2006 Mexico (5th time), Caribbean Princess 6/2007 W. Caribbean, Golden Princess 11/2007 Mexico (6th time), Sapphire Princess 11/2008 Mexico (7th time), Star Princess 6/2009 Alaska, Mariner of the Seas 12/2009 Mexico (8th time), Sapphire Princess 12/2010 Mexico (9th time), Coral Princess 10/2011 Trans Panama Canal, Ruby Princess 4/23/2019 Alaska
London, UK
602 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by jlp20
Again from info still online. While doing personalizer, you actually take photo of your passport (no info about other types of I.D.). Their claim was you arrive at cruise center wearing OM. and go directly to security and board ship. There was no mention if I.D. photo is to be used or the cruise card photo system does another photo. Since there are people who will refuse to use OM I think the old machines will still be used to take everyone's photo at embarkation.
When we collected our medallion at the terminal we had our photo taken once for the medallion system and then again for the cruise card system.Hardly seems efficient or seamless!
Charlotte
318 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by dides
When we collected our medallion at the terminal we had our photo taken once for the medallion system and then again for the cruise card system.Hardly seems efficient or seamless!

We had our pictures taken at terminal then again when we got on the ship then after we weren't recognized in the system after 2 more pictures, they took our blue OM cards and gave us platinum cards because they couldn't get them to work.

I mentioned earlier that my biggest problem with program was that anytime I got near a public OM terminal (like waiting in line for dining room), my personal information (picture, name, cabin number) was available for anyone to see.
11,005 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by kdooley
I mentioned earlier that my biggest problem with program was that anytime I got near a public OM terminal (like waiting in line for dining room), my personal information (picture, name, cabin number) was available for anyone to see.
That’s horrible. Let’s hope that’s an unplanned issue and not a permanent feature.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1280 days ~ 128 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
Mojave Desert
890 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo
That’s horrible. Let’s hope that’s an unplanned issue and not a permanent feature.
It's planned, but...

"If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion experience,
you can switch your privacy setting to 'Safety Only' and enjoy the cruise the
same great way you do today."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Royal Majesty • N Caribbean
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Rhapsody of the Seas • S Caribbean
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MV Yorktown Clipper • San Francisco/Sacramento (!)
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Navigator • St Lawrence Seaway
MS Emerald Princess • Australia/New Zealand
MS Ruby Princess • California Coast
MS Eurodam • Alaska
Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
322 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by Haboob
It's planned, but...

"If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion experience,
you can switch your privacy setting to 'Safety Only' and enjoy the cruise the
same great way you do today."
It all sounds good... but please don't tell me I need an ipad or smart phone to access this... and you can do it from the Smart TV in your cabin......

As a cruise to us is time to switch OFF and relax..

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
Mojave Desert
890 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by getting older slowly
It all sounds good... but please don't tell me I need an ipad or smart phone to access this... and you can do it from the Smart TV in your cabin......

As a cruise to us is time to switch OFF and relax..

Cheers Don
I suspect it's available on smartphone/iPad, but I'd bet the rent money you can
get the Purser's desk to do it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Eurodam • Alaska
Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
322 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Thanks Haboob,

That sounds OK, , as one doesn't have smartphone/iPad thingie.

one thing does the OM get me a G&T without me asking ???

Looking forward to the next Cruise in November with or without "the OM"

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
Mojave Desert
890 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by getting older slowly

one thing does the OM get me a G&T without me asking ???
Not if you have "safety only" set:
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Eurodam • Alaska
14 Miles From LA Port
2,719 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
The Princess information stated pax downloaded a primary ap that is to be used to "upload" pax info into the OM system. Other aps are needed for other functions. From posts read this week, paxs having issues launching and using the primary ap. There is a question if additional aps even exist at this time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature