Vote: Edinburgh Castle or Holyrood Palace

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I have another question. We have the opportunity to join a private tour which would include entrance to and tour of Edinburgh Castle as well as a walking tour of the Royal Mile (and Rosslyn Chapel). My concern with joining this tour is the terrain within Edinburgh Castle for my 82 year old DM. She is unable to do climb steep hills/stairs but does very well with level walking. Down hill walking is much better than up hill. In your opinion, should she tour Edinburgh Castle? I found a map of Edinburgh Castle on their website and it looks like it is hilly within the castle walls.

I'm wondering if we should stick with our original plan of starting outside of Edinburgh Castle and walking gradually down the Royal Mile to Holyroodhouse. While the tour to Rosslyn Chapel is tempting, we can go at her pace and stop wherever we want.

Thank you!

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I have another question. We have the opportunity to join a private tour which would include entrance to and tour of Edinburgh Castle as well as a walking tour of the Royal Mile (and Rosslyn Chapel). My concern with joining this tour is the terrain within Edinburgh Castle for my 82 year old DM. She is unable to do climb steep hills/stairs but does very well with level walking. Down hill walking is much better than up hill. In your opinion, should she tour Edinburgh Castle? I found a map of Edinburgh Castle on their website and it looks like it is hilly within the castle walls.

I'm wondering if we should stick with our original plan of starting outside of Edinburgh Castle and walking gradually down the Royal Mile to Holyroodhouse. While the tour to Rosslyn Chapel is tempting, we can go at her pace and stop wherever we want.

Thank you!

As i said originally AQ, the Castle is not easy to walk around and is on numerous levels with lots of steps and a very uneven surface. Your mum will only get a limited amount out of it which is why I suggested starting on the Esplanade rather than actually touring the whole thing. The Royal Mile is always crowded and also as the street is so old the surface is also very irregular so not easy to walk along. I think your mum would want to go fairly slowly but then if you are on a tour you probably wouldn't be doing the whole thing, possibly just the middle section where most of the main sights are so that could be an advantage.

Rosslyn Chapel would be a perfect place for your mum to get to. The car park is at the visitor's centre and it's only a short, flat walk over a path to the chapel. She would be able to see most of it even sitting down as it's quite small but perfectly formed. It is an amazing, very intriguing place to visit.

On balance I'd do the tour because almost certainly you'll get a drive by some of the other sights thrown in....... but you know your mum, you know what's best for her

As i said originally AQ, the Castle is not easy to walk around and is on numerous levels with lots of steps and a very uneven surface. Your mum will only get a limited amount out of it which is why I suggested starting on the Esplanade rather than actually touring the whole thing. The Royal Mile is always crowded and also as the street is so old the surface is also very irregular so not easy to walk along. I think your mum would want to go fairly slowly but then if you are on a tour you probably wouldn't be doing the whole thing, possibly just the middle section where most of the main sights are so that could be an advantage.

Rosslyn Chapel would be a perfect place for your mum to get to. The car park is at the visitor's centre and it's only a short, flat walk over a path to the chapel. She would be able to see most of it even sitting down as it's quite small but perfectly formed. It is an amazing, very intriguing place to visit.

On balance I'd do the tour because almost certainly you'll get a drive by some of the other sights thrown in....... but you know your mum, you know what's best for her

Thanks TE81! I had DM read your response and decide what to do. We will try the tour. Worst case scenario, she sits down at the Castle. Between Rosslyn and a tour of the Royal Mile, we think we'll get more out of the tour than DIYing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the good information! I was apprehensive about DIY in Edinburgh...but with your good recommendations, I think we can do it! We will prebook tickets to the castle & palace. Starting from the castle, we will spend 2-3 hours there. Then mosey down the Royal Mile, being sure to see Canongate church and St. Giles Cathedral. Then head down to the palace.

My question is, what is the best way to actually get to the castle to start our day? I read about the ship’s shuttle and about buses. But I don’t know exactly where they let off passengers.

If a taxi is the only way to get directly to the castle, does anyone have an estimate of the taxi fare?

Thank you all so much!

Thank you all for the good information! I was apprehensive about DIY in Edinburgh...but with your good recommendations, I think we can do it! We will prebook tickets to the castle & palace. Starting from the castle, we will spend 2-3 hours there. Then mosey down the Royal Mile, being sure to see Canongate church and St. Giles Cathedral. Then head down to the palace.

My question is, what is the best way to actually get to the castle to start our day? I read about the ship’s shuttle and about buses. But I don’t know exactly where they let off passengers.

If a taxi is the only way to get directly to the castle, does anyone have an estimate of the taxi fare?

Thank you all so much!

Which ship are you on? There are 4 ports for Edinburgh I'll know which port if I know the ship

We will be on the Celebrity Eclipse.

Thank you!

Thanks cc cruiser. You will be anchored at Newhaven and tendered ashore. It is just North of Edinburgh City Centre. A taxi to the Castle shouldn't cost more than £12 for 4 people and is the best way to do it. The shuttle buses usually drop off in Waterloo Place but I can't be 100% sure about Celebrity. From there it is a 5 minute walk to the Royal Mile then maybe 10 more to the Castle. However a local bus costs £1.70 and the numbers 11 and 16 go up to Princes Street. The local volunteers will show you where the bus stop is and you would get off the bus at Hanover Street. You will see the Castle from there and just walk up the hill towards it

Thanks cc cruiser. You will be anchored at Newhaven and tendered ashore. It is just North of Edinburgh City Centre. A taxi to the Castle shouldn't cost more than £12 for 4 people and is the best way to do it. The shuttle buses usually drop off in Waterloo Place but I can't be 100% sure about Celebrity. From there it is a 5 minute walk to the Royal Mile then maybe 10 more to the Castle. However a local bus costs £1.70 and the numbers 11 and 16 go up to Princes Street. The local volunteers will show you where the bus stop is and you would get off the bus at Hanover Street. You will see the Castle from there and just walk up the hill towards it

Thank you so very kindly! I think we will take a taxi to be sure we get there in time for our scheduled visit. You are so helpful, Tartan! We appreciate you taking time to help us!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so we just toured both, and though I didn’t anticipate it to be this way, I actually was underwhelmed by Edinburgh Castle and loved Holyrood Palace! If we hadn’t toured the awesome castles in England, Ireland, and Scotland, maybe I would have felt differently, but Edinburgh Castle just wasn’t as impressive to me as the others. That said, I would never tell someone to skip it; it should still be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, so we just toured both, and though I didn’t anticipate it to be this way, I actually was underwhelmed by Edinburgh Castle and loved Holyrood Palace! If we hadn’t toured the awesome castles in England, Ireland, and Scotland, maybe I would have felt differently, but Edinburgh Castle just wasn’t as impressive to me as the others. That said, I would never tell someone to skip it; it should still be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the problem with Edinburgh Castle is that it's so vast compared to other castles