London for a first Timer.

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read and post in this thread.

I am looking for an advice about top ten to do and do not miss in London for 2 days. Please mention the places I need to go and your personal top ten.

i am open to suggestions also for accessible places to eat in the hurry days. maybe a market, a hole in the wall place, etc.

Thanks Everyone!!!

We stayed in Westminster and just walked to the river and walked both ways. It is a lot of walking but you will see a lot big ben, the millennial bridge, St pauls, Tower bridge and many museums .As far as cheap food ,it is the way to go , there is a chain with cheap sandwichs called "Pret manger''(all brits stop laughing at this clueless yank and tell him the right name) They have some good sandwichs with crisps(chips) and a soda for a good price.We ate dinner at a pub any two dinners for 10 pounds it was just O.K. It is a great city and the people are wonderfull you will have a great time.

Do consider the Original Bus Tour (red bus) HOHO..It gave us an amazing overview of all the must see spots the city of London has to offer..Just a suggestion add the few extra $'s for the fish-n-chips at Sherlock Holmes Pub..a great deal offered when you buy your tickets..Enjoy !!

If you want a night out - try the "Medievil Night" at St Katherines Dock - near the tower of London and London Bridge. Fantastic night - Henry the VIII -and a wife or two- minstrels, jugglers, wenches to bring your "ale" in jugs. Good "olde worlde" English songs....a meal "of the times" soup - big huge round cobs of bread which you rip aopart to dip in soup - cold platter of meats and a dessert. Fantastic night. London is wonderful - so much to see - so little time. Houses of Parliament - Big Ben - London Eye - all close together. If you get the hop on hop off bus - you get a free ride up the Thames to use within 24 hours of you using the bus. All wonderful. We used the tube to get round - from Paddington on the yellow line - we saw everything - Buck House included. Whitherspoons have pubs with cheap food - (sometimes you do get what you pay for!!) Plenty of places to eat - all reasonably priced. Plenty of holes in the wall.

Edited by dizzy1948

Please mention the places I need to go ...
You will need to go to your hotel to sleep, and you will need to go to the bathroom. And you will need to go somewhere to find food.

Other than that, you really ought to do some research based on your interests. There is no "top ten" list for London; there are far too many good and interesting things here to make such a list. You're better off finding the "top thousand" list for London, and then picking the first ten that actually interest you.

there is a chain with cheap sandwichs called "Pret manger''(all brits stop laughing at this clueless yank and tell him the right name)
It's "Pret a Manger", supposedly from the French for "ready to eat".

But it's actually more of a pun on the long-established French phrase "prêt-à-porter" ("ready to wear") used in the fashion industry to distinguish it from haute couture and bespoke tailoring - more here.

We Brits wouldn't laugh at you about the name, because you got it almost right.

We would, however, be more likely to laugh at the idea that Pret does cheap sandwiches; it's actually regarded as a rather expensive sandwich shop. (But it's good at what it does, despite the price - hence its success.)

Globaliser is correct in that if you don't know the main sights of London, you had better head on down to the local library for some research.

London is amass with wonderful sights that are world known. Now, if you have some special interests and would like some info on them, say WWII sites, or museums, or theaters, many here can help.

Since you do ahve a few days in London, I would also suggest you buy a pass on the HoHo buses, as was mentioned either the Big Bus tour, or the Original Bus Tour. One ride on them will take you around London, see most of the main sites and give you an idea as to what you might want to visit.

Also do not miss some of the London Walks http://www.walks.com/, just a marvelous way to see London and some of the best deals around. The Ghost tour or the Jack The ripper Tours are world famous and are truly good.

If you want to ride the London Eye, you can pre book a set time and pay on line, so you can avoid the very long queues that will be there.

Here are a few of my pics to help get you around London

Buckingham Palace--if you are there mid summer you can tour the Palace.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1421.jpg

Most every day they ahve the Changing of the Guard ceremony which attracts thousands every day

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1466.jpg

Big Ben and Parliment

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe125.jpg

St Paul's Cathedral-Make sure you visit the basement also

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2098.jpg

Tower Bridge--try to do the Tower Bridge Experience

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2128.jpg

Tower of London-Do the Beefeaters tour

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2127.jpg

There is just so much, much more.

Do some research and you will have a blast there

Cheers

Len

Thanks everyone to take the time to post in this thread, your help is very useful.

I am taking notes and printing all the very good places you mention here.

Also thanks for the links.

If you have a special recommendation for a Market with food please let me know.

Also a good place to buy some cheap not so touristy souvenirs.

Forgot to mention I will be staying at the Marriot next to the London´s Eye.

Edited by josephml1

When we were last in London we stayed two nights and went to see Chicago (the musical). Our hotel was in the City near Tower Bridge and The Tower of London which I last saw in the 1950s. We went to the Tower early to beat the queues and afterwards we did a tour of the Bridge (my interest).

Then on to a water taxi up to the London Eye and a rather long queue but we didn't mind too much as we could eat our sandwiches while we waited.

After that we went back down the river to our hotel to have a rest before dinner and show.

The following day (Saturday) we went by underground to Victoria for Buckingham Palace as that was open for tours; then back to Victoria to catch a train to Kew Gardens where we spent the rest of a beautiful sunny afternoon before heading back to Marylebone Station and our train home.

Borough Market - nearest Tube station is London Bridge (two stops from Waterloo on the Jubilee Line).

The food is good, but it's not cheap.

Just to add that at weekends there are several farmers markets in London. http://www.lfm.org.uk/

There is also a farmers/produce market at Duke of Yorks Square every Saturday with plenty of 'take-away' cooked food as well as produce (nearest tube Sloane Square). http://www.partridges.co.uk/foodmarket?sessionid=1326266732a854b65a7e6d8f36a59a61342bf7b74b

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an evening free and know well in advance, do try and get tickets for the 'Ceremony of the Keys' at the Tower of London. It's been locked up tightly every night for over 600 years. And don't miss the crown jewels.

A small museum I like is the Queen's Gallery, by the Palace. Collections from the Queen's personal collections, which, as we know, are immense!

And, I agree, do the HOHO bus first!

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read and post in this thread.

I am looking for an advice about top ten to do and do not miss in London for 2 days. Please mention the places I need to go and your personal top ten.

i am open to suggestions also for accessible places to eat in the hurry days. maybe a market, a hole in the wall place, etc.

Thanks Everyone!!!

We had an "odd" must see list.

I love history and had several must see historical places:

The Tower

the statue of Boadicca

the tomb of St. Edward the Confessor - located in Westminster Abbey but accessible only through a verger led tour

then a few places that dh & I wanted to see after seeing them on tv or reading about them

Hyde Park

a boat ride on the Thames

Big Ben

Paddington Station

the tube

The Tower Bridge

and my sister wanted me to pick her up a shopping bag from Harrod's.

we managed to visit and spend time at every spot on our lists in 2 days and had a fabulous time doing so.

Hi

You do need to get yourself a guide book and choose a few things you want to see, London is fairly easy to get around - use the underground and the buses, but there is a lot of it - you can't walk it!

I would suggest that on your first day, you get the Hop on Hop off bus, which goes around all the major sights. It will give you a good idea of what you want to see more of and an idea of the layout. The river cruise down to the Tower is very good and is included in one of the HOHO buses (there are a couple of companies doing it), I lived in London for some time a few years ago and only did this recently with my dd and really enjoyed it.

Don't worry about finding cheap food, there are Sandwich shops and delis. around (wander down side streets to find little snack bars). Pret a Manger is pretty expensive, most locals would get their sandwiches in a deli, or stores such as Marks and Spencers (M&S), which is renown for their sandwiches and underwear or Boots, which is more of a large Chemist.

Covent Garden is a good place to hang around, plenty of places to eat - most aren't expensive and plenty to look at with entertainers and people watching. You will find lots of 2 for a tenner offers and set meals.

When I used to have people visiting, the most likely things they wanted to see were:

Buckingham Palace - you won't be able to go inside, but can see the Changing of the Guard, check for times.

HOHO Bus will take you past here and most other places.

Big Ben and Houses of Parliament (purely because so Iconic and stunning architecture)

Tower of London (Crown Jewels), do a tour and see the Beefeaters

Tower Bridge - again, do the tour

Unless you have a lot of time, avoid things like the Waxworks and the London Dungeons, they are a bit gimmicy.

If you want real pubs, there are lots around. There is a place called Shepherds Market, a short walk from Hyde Park, or Berkeley Square, depending which way you come. The area is Mayfair. Although there isn't a market here now, there are some really old traditional pubs, one we used to go in most days, was Ye Grapes, I think it dates from the late 1800's.

Think about going to the Savoy, or the Ritz for afternoon tea, it is an experience and I always took my friends here. Not cheap, but it is more than just tea, you get sandwiches, cakes, scones etc. etc. and the surroundings are typically British.

Don't forget to pop down to Harrods and have a wander around the foodhall. Go to Fortnums and Mason, another interesting if expensive store, worth popping your head in.

Have a great time, I went recently as a tourist and didn't realise when I lived there (and I lived just off Baker Street in the centre!), that there was so much to see!!!

Buckingham Palace staterooms might be open during your time in London. Check out http://www.royalcollection.org.uk for the dates.

We enjoyed doing the London Eye.

The tickets for the Hop On/Hop Off are good for a 24 hour period and includes a river cruise tour.

http://www.theoriginaltours.com

http://www.bigbustours.com

http://www.visitlondon.com

http://www.londoneye.com

For someone who is also only in London for 2 days post-cruise, this thread was very helpful!

Not to hijack the post or anything, but would staying near Paddington station (due to the quick jaunt back to Heathrow) be a good idea? I figured we'd take the tube everywhere from Paddington.

I also look forward to taking the Original London tour bus as well as lots of walking. My goal is to see parliament/Big Ben/London Eye/Bridge (more for photos actually), Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Wesminster Abbey, possibly Trafalger Square and only Piccadilly if we're near it. I know that 48 hours isn't nearly enough, but I'm hoping to see the iconic sights. :)

Edited by DeloreanGirl

Not to hijack the post or anything, but would staying near Paddington station (due to the quick jaunt back to Heathrow) be a good idea?
It's definitely feasible, but normally I wouldn't suggest this unless you have a particularly good reason to be near Paddington (for example, if you have a very early morning flight when you leave, and thus need the speed of the Heathrow Express to get to the airport that morning). Personally, I'd prefer to be closer to the sights; the 30-40 minutes that it can take to get back to the hotel can end up being a bit of a psychological barrier.

We are planning our third stay in London, and we still haven't seen it all.

If you have an android phone, a Nook, or a tablet, tripadvisor has a wonderful London Guide that can be downloaded for free. It has an interactive map of London with restaurants, hotels, and sights on it. I love it!!

I also vote for the Hop on/off bus. We used it during our first stay, and it was fabulous. I recommend getting on and staying on for the whole tour. Then, keep going and get off where you want.

I loved, loved, loved the Crown Jewels in the Tower. That's a stop I'd got off and walk around.

This trip we are doing the National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, and the British Museum.

I also recommend Witherspoon's; we ate there several times. If you stay near Victoria, there are quite a few places upstairs in the shopping mall next to the station. We found a place up there that had omelettes, so we could have a more American style breakfast.

• 6 years later...

Though some of these tips are older, I love them and have already got a list of 20 things to do, half of which i would never have thought of on my own (excited for Harrods and the food court!). This is an example of why i love the CC boards. Thanks to all for sharing.

Though some of these tips are older, I love them and have already got a list of 20 things to do, half of which i would never have thought of on my own (excited for Harrods and the food court!). This is an example of why i love the CC boards. Thanks to all for sharing.

Oops ... didn't see that this was resurrected from the grave. Oh well ...

I don't know if it will help anyone else but I found https://www.city-walks.info/London-en/Map.html to be helpful. I have so many things I want to see/do while we are in London 7 days pre-cruise and was having a hard time figuring out where everything was in relation to everything else.

There is a search box that you can fill in what you want to see. It marks it on the map for you and the map is interactive so you can move it around. I think I end up with 20+ locations. You can print the map but you may have to move it around and print more than once to get everything. It includes underground stops but not buses as far as I can tell.

It is really helping in planning how to see what I want (and need) to do.

Of course YMMV

Sandi