I Need Another Pre-Cruise Plan For Southampton Departure

I'm re-thinking my pre-cruise and post-cruise sightseeing and will very much appreciate anyone's experience and ideas on how to get into our schedule what we want to do. John Bull, you have given me and everyone else here some wonderful advice!

We had planned on staying in Windsor the day we fly into Heathrow and tour there and then go to Southampton the next day to go on our cruise. I just read that St. George's Chapel is not open on a Sunday, which would be when we'd be there. The day we get off the cruise we had planned to go to Stonehenge and then to the airport for our flight home. Our flight is at 2pm on a Sat., Sept.29th. Our flight into Heathrow is on Sept.15th, arriving the 16th to LHR. I was thinking of adding another pre-day, which would get us in on Sat. I hesitated with a Friday departure from the U.S. because of possible delays, but, since we do not plan on doing this again, it could make it less stressful. The cruise depart on Sept. 17th.

I'm very open to suggestions that would keep the price down, including where to stay instead of Southampton and get our sightseeing in. On our list is Windsor, Stonehenge, and possible Winchester.

Hopefully, by the time our cruise happens, I will be educated enough to help others on this board with their questions. Every little bit helps! Thank you so much!!!

I think you are overthinking the tours

If you have air booked already it will be costly to change flights to fly in earlier

you could extend the post cruise & just pay the change fee & fly home the next day

do the tour to Stonehenge on the way to Southampton & tour Windsor the day of disembarkation & fly home on the Sunday

JMO

I think you are overthinking the tours

If you have air booked already it will be costly to change flights to fly in earlier

you could extend the post cruise & just pay the change fee & fly home the next day

do the tour to Stonehenge on the way to Southampton & tour Windsor the day of disembarkation & fly home on the Sunday

JMO

I, actually, do not have the air booked, but, it is on hold until July 8th. I just took another look at the availability and it looks like the flight for the day after isn't there now. It might work out to do Stonehenge and maybe stay in Salisbury and get a taxi to Southampton the next day. Do Windsor post-cruise and make do with the time we have.

You're right! I do tend to over think things. It's hard when you don't know where you're going or what's the easiest way to do things. Another night post-cruise is out of the question, but, would be a good solution!

So your commitments are....

Arrive LHR Sunday 16th Sept mid-to-late morning (anticipate being in the arrivals hall about 60 to 90 minutes after scheduled landing time).

Cruise out of Southampton Mon 17th, I'll guess at a need to arrive at the port by 2.30 to 3.30pm.

Cruise back into Southampton early Saturday 29th September & flight time from LHR of 2pm. You'll need to be at the airport by noon.

Correct?

(subject to availability and if you can spare the time, a flight arriving LHR on Friday 15th or leaving on Sunday 30th September would make things easier and much less-rushed)

---------------------------------------------

I've tried to put the options in some sort of logical sequence, but they're many and varied so you'll probably need to read several times, with a strong coffee between each reading :)

Can expand on any you want to consider.

Pre-cruise

- a hotel at LHR or Windsor or thereabouts gives you most of the day in Windsor, though you'd miss the changing of the guard. St George's chapel is only one building in quite a large castle.

Then next morning

- direct to Southampton by private transfer from Windsor, or Nat Express bus or taxi from LHR. A taxi from Windsor to LHR for Nat Express from there to Southampton is a third possibility though I'm doubtful whether the savings would be worth the complication.

- or private transfer to Southampton via Stonehenge, and probably even a photo-stop / drive-by in Salisbury if time permits.

Or leave Windsor til post-cruise and

- take a private transfer from LHR to Stonehenge, 90 minutes there, then on to hotel in Salisbury or Southampton. You would be strongly advised to pre-book timed entry to Stonehenge.

- or Nat Express bus from LHR to Salisbury. Limited frequency to Salisbury, only possible if you can catch the 12.20pm (from T2/3 ) 12.20pm (from T5) bus, which gets you to Salisbury at 2.30pm. Nat Express bus stand in Salisbury is a 20 min walk or short taxi hop from the rail station, where you drop your bags at the Railway Tavern then take the Stonehenge ho-ho (buy Stonehenge tickets from the driver, no need for timed entry). Get off the ho-ho back at Salisbury rail station, collect your bags then taxi to Salisbury hotel or train to Southampton.

- or simple private transfer from LHR to Salisbury hotel, drop your bags there then catch the Stonehenge ho-ho http://www.thestonehengetour.info/ from the rail station or from the city centre stop in New Canal.

If you overnite in Salisbury, train to Southampton next morning (half-hourly service, fare about £10, travel time 35 minutes), very easy. You'd need a hotel in the centre of Salisbury. Salisbury hotels are quite individual and historic, but prices are about the same as the more mundane modern chain hotels in Southampton

Post-cruise

- Private transfer from ship to Stonehenge (say 8.15am departure to arrive at 9.30). Depart Stonehenge by 10.30 for a 2pm flight from LHR.

- or private transfer to Windsor (say 8.00 am departure to arrive at 9.30). Depart Windsor by 11.15 for a 2pm flight.

JB :)

Arrive LHR Sunday 16th Sept mid-to-late morning (anticipate being in the arrivals hall about 60 to 90 minutes after scheduled landing time).

Cruise out of Southampton Mon 17th, I'll guess at a need to arrive at the port by 2.30 to 3.30pm.

Cruise back into Southampton early Saturday 29th September & flight time from LHR of 2pm. You'll need to be at the airport by noon.

Correct?

(subject to availability and if you can spare the time, a flight arriving LHR on Friday 15th or leaving on Sunday 30th September would make things easier and much less-rushed)

I've tried to put the options in some sort of logical sequence, but they're many and varied so you'll probably need to read several times, with a strong coffee between each reading :)

Pre-cruise

- a hotel at LHR or Windsor or thereabouts gives you most of the day in Windsor, though you'd miss the changing of the guard. St George's chapel is only one building in quite a large castle.

Then next morning

- direct to Southampton by private transfer from Windsor, or Nat Express bus or taxi from LHR. A taxi from Windsor to LHR for Nat Express from there to Southampton is a third possibility though I'm doubtful whether the savings would be worth the complication.

- or private transfer to Southampton via Stonehenge, and probably even a photo-stop / drive-by in Salisbury if time permits.

- take a private transfer from LHR to Stonehenge, 90 minutes there, then on to hotel in Salisbury or Southampton. You would be strongly advised to pre-book timed entry to Stonehenge.

- or Nat Express bus from LHR to Salisbury. Limited frequency to Salisbury, only possible if you can catch the 12.20pm (from T2/3 ) 12.20pm (from T5) bus, which gets you to Salisbury at 2.30pm. Nat Express bus stand in Salisbury is a 20 min walk or short taxi hop from the rail station, where you drop your bags at the Railway Tavern then take the Stonehenge ho-ho (buy Stonehenge tickets from the driver, no need for timed entry). Get off the ho-ho back at Salisbury rail station, collect your bags then taxi to Salisbury hotel or train to Southampton.

- or simple private transfer from LHR to Salisbury hotel, drop your bags there then catch the Stonehenge ho-ho http://www.thestonehengetour.info/ from the rail station or from the city centre stop in New Canal.

If you overnite in Salisbury, train to Southampton next morning (half-hourly service, fare about £10, travel time 35 minutes), very easy. You'd need a hotel in the centre of Salisbury. Salisbury hotels are quite individual and historic, but prices are about the same as the more mundane modern chain hotels in Southampton

Post-cruise

- Private transfer from ship to Stonehenge (say 8.15am departure to arrive at 9.30). Depart Stonehenge by 10.30 for a 2pm flight from LHR.

- or private transfer to Windsor (say 8.00 am departure to arrive at 9.30). Depart Windsor by 11.15 for a 2pm flight.

Yep! That's about it in a nutshell, so to speak! LHR to Windsor by taxi on Sunday noontime and Monday, Windsor to Southampton Port. Sept. 29 post-cruise- Stonehenge/Salisbury for a couple hours and then onto LHR for our 2pm flight. I think I would rather spend more time in Windsor then Stonehenge. One of the tour guides/taxi drivers had suggested that we do Windsor post-cruise because of St George's Chapel being closed, but, doing it post-cruise would really limit our time there and I'd love to not only see the castle, but the town. I was wondering if we'd have time Monday morning before heading to the port. I guess there isn't a 2 day ticket. I, also read that they do allow you to attend services at the chapel on a Sunday even though it is closed for touring. I didn't realize that the chapel was all a part of the Windsor Castle Ticket?

Does this sound ok and doable? Thank you, again, John Bull!

We did both Stonehenge and Windsor castle last year and while Stonehenge is amazing and I really enjoyed being there it is not a place that I could have spent hours in....But Windsor Castle I would have liked more than the 2 hours that we had there ...

I was wondering if we'd have time Monday morning before heading to the port. I guess there isn't a 2 day ticket. I, also read that they do allow you to attend services at the chapel on a Sunday even though it is closed for touring. I didn't realize that the chapel was all a part of the Windsor Castle Ticket?

Does this sound ok and doable? Thank you, again, John Bull!

I seems that an admission ticket can be converted into a one year pass. What I am not sure about is whether that applies to foreign visitors as well as UK residents. You may need to email them and ask.

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/1-year-pass

No this does not apply to anyone who is not a UK taxpayer, as this annual membership means that you can gift aid your cost of entry and the attraction can get 20% back form HMRC (income tax authority) . Sorry !

You are assuming that it doesn't apply - I suggest that since the website does not specifically say it doesn't, it would be worth an email to check.

You are assuming that it doesn't apply - I suggest that since the website does not specifically say it doesn't, it would be worth an email to check.

I'm going to email them and will report back when I get an answer.

No this does not apply to anyone who is not a UK taxpayer, as this annual membership means that you can gift aid your cost of entry and the attraction can get 20% back form HMRC (income tax authority) . Sorry !

You have that backwards, I’m afraid. The scheme has to apply to all visitors, which then allows them to claim Gift Aid from any eligible UK taxpayers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've bought lots of one-year passes (at other places) for people who are not UK taxpayers, and there has never been an issue. Only the UK taxpayers can make the Gift Aid declaration, of course, but there's no reason why others can't buy the one-year pass.

Correct?

Pre-cruise

Then next morning

Post-cruise

We decided (I hope!) stay 1 night post-cruise and leave Windsor for then. There's so much to do there and I don't want to hurry it. We will fly into LHR as planned, one day pre-cruise and get a private transfer to Salisbury. We will spend the night there at The Red Lion or The Chapter House. As you advised, JB, we'll get the HoHo Bus to go to Stonehenge and Old Sarum, possibly. We'll get the train, as u advised, into Southampton the next day. After the cruise we'll get a private transfer to Windsor. Maybe we could stop in Winchester, and onto Windsor. We still have the 2pm flight back to the US, so, we'll get a taxi to LHR. How does this sound? Anything to add? Which hotel in Salisbury do you prefer? I'm slightly nervous, because of luggage, about getting the train and then getting to the port with the luggage. I'll price a private transfer from Salisbury to the port. Could be less stressful.

We decided (I hope!) stay 1 night post-cruise and leave Windsor for then. There's so much to do there and I don't want to hurry it. We will fly into LHR as planned, one day pre-cruise and get a private transfer to Salisbury. We will spend the night there at The Red Lion or The Chapter House. As you advised, JB, we'll get the HoHo Bus to go to Stonehenge and Old Sarum, possibly. We'll get the train, as u advised, into Southampton the next day. After the cruise we'll get a private transfer to Windsor. Maybe we could stop in Winchester, and onto Windsor. We still have the 2pm flight back to the US, so, we'll get a taxi to LHR. How does this sound? Anything to add? Which hotel in Salisbury do you prefer? I'm slightly nervous, because of luggage, about getting the train and then getting to the port with the luggage. I'll price a private transfer from Salisbury to the port. Could be less stressful.

Sounds like a good plan :)

I've attended functions at various Salisbury hotels, but not stayed in any. Both that you've mentioned are old-established & reputable and very well-located, along with others like the White Hart or Spire House.

Also consider the Kings Head. It's a Wetherspoons property. Wetherspoons is a chain that is well-known for its pubs, which trade mainly on price. But the Kings Head gets exceptionally good hotel reviews and is likely to be best value-for-money. Equally historic and attractive, equally good location for the cathedral & sights, and it's much closer to the rail station - less than 10 minutes on foot.

Old Sarum is well worth visiting if the weather is fine, but it's quite exposed so no fun if its raining. And its a ten-minute uphill walk from the bus-stop.

If you visit Old Sarum after Stonehenge you don't have to wait for the next ho-ho into Salisbury, your ho-ho tickets are good for the local Salisbury Red buses and I'm pretty certain that all of them from that bus-stop go into Salisbury city centre.

Buy your Stonehenge/Old Sarum (and mebbe cathedral "donation") tickets from the ho-ho driver, those tickets allow you entry to Stonehenge on arrival, they're not time-sensitive.

Train from Salisbury to Southampton is very easy and very economical, no problem if you're decently mobile and have rolling luggage of just one checked bag and one cabin-size bag each. Train every half-hour except on sundays, journey time about 35 minutes. Trains on this route are usually not crowded. Stepping from platform to train is either level or just one step up, not like North American trains. Fare under £10 pp, taxi if you need one from hotel to station about £6 (walk it for the ho-ho, then decide whether with luggage you'd prefer a taxi), and from the taxi rank at Southampton to ship about £6 to £10 depending which cruise terminal.

But no harm in getting a quote or two for a hotel-to-ship private transfer. By road usually around 35 mins, but allow at least an hour.

Or if you don't mind spending a little more on the transfer, ask the driver to take you via a corner of the New Forest - say, Salisbury to Downton or Fordingbridge, across the Forest to Nomansland or Cadnam, & on to Southampton. Adds mebbe 15 mins to the drive time.

Yes, with a next-day flight you'll have time to visit Winchester en-route to Windsor. Since it's only one mile off-route it should add no more to the cost than the waiting time. I'd give it one to two hours & major on the cathedral. Two cathedrals in one vacation isn't really over-kill, they'll be at opposite ends of the cruise and they're quite different - Salisbury more spectacular, Winchester more historic.

Just to bring in a complication .............

since your flight home will be next-day you could opt for a tour-transfer from Southampton to Windsor with https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_to_london_shared_bus.html

This gives you limited time in Salisbury, enough time at Stonehenge (same any-time admission tickets) and you could leave the coach in Windsor (tell the driver or guide when you board that you'll be leaving the coach in Windsor, so that your luggage can be loaded appropriately).

That would throw your plans into chaos :D but gives you the opportunity to visit somewhere like Portsmouth or Winchester pre-cruise.

Or is that a complication too far? :confused:

Edited to add - there's some useful general info about Salisbury, Old Sarum, Stonehenge and Windsor on links from that London Toolkit page

Edited by John Bull

Sounds like a good plan :)

I've attended functions at various Salisbury hotels, but not stayed in any. Both that you've mentioned are old-established & reputable and very well-located, along with others like the White Hart or Spire House.

Also consider the Kings Head. It's a Wetherspoons property. Wetherspoons is a chain that is well-known for its pubs, which trade mainly on price. But the Kings Head gets exceptionally good hotel reviews and is likely to be best value-for-money. Equally historic and attractive, equally good location for the cathedral & sights, and it's much closer to the rail station - less than 10 minutes on foot.

Old Sarum is well worth visiting if the weather is fine, but it's quite exposed so no fun if its raining. And its a ten-minute uphill walk from the bus-stop.

If you visit Old Sarum after Stonehenge you don't have to wait for the next ho-ho into Salisbury, your ho-ho tickets are good for the local Salisbury Red buses and I'm pretty certain that all of them from that bus-stop go into Salisbury city centre.

Buy your Stonehenge/Old Sarum (and mebbe cathedral "donation") tickets from the ho-ho driver, those tickets allow you entry to Stonehenge on arrival, they're not time-sensitive.

Train from Salisbury to Southampton is very easy and very economical, no problem if you're decently mobile and have rolling luggage of just one checked bag and one cabin-size bag each. Train every half-hour except on sundays, journey time about 35 minutes. Trains on this route are usually not crowded. Stepping from platform to train is either level or just one step up, not like North American trains. Fare under £10 pp, taxi if you need one from hotel to station about £6 (walk it for the ho-ho, then decide whether with luggage you'd prefer a taxi), and from the taxi rank at Southampton to ship about £6 to £10 depending which cruise terminal.

But no harm in getting a quote or two for a hotel-to-ship private transfer. By road usually around 35 mins, but allow at least an hour.

Or if you don't mind spending a little more on the transfer, ask the driver to take you via a corner of the New Forest - say, Salisbury to Downton or Fordingbridge, across the Forest to Nomansland or Cadnam, & on to Southampton. Adds mebbe 15 mins to the drive time.

Yes, with a next-day flight you'll have time to visit Winchester en-route to Windsor. Since it's only one mile off-route it should add no more to the cost than the waiting time. I'd give it one to two hours & major on the cathedral. Two cathedrals in one vacation isn't really over-kill, they'll be at opposite ends of the cruise and they're quite different - Salisbury more spectacular, Winchester more historic.

Just to bring in a complication .............

since your flight home will be next-day you could opt for a tour-transfer from Southampton to Windsor with https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_to_london_shared_bus.html

This gives you limited time in Salisbury, enough time at Stonehenge (same any-time admission tickets) and you could leave the coach in Windsor (tell the driver or guide when you board that you'll be leaving the coach in Windsor, so that your luggage can be loaded appropriately).

That would throw your plans into chaos :D but gives you the opportunity to visit somewhere like Portsmouth or Winchester pre-cruise.

Or is that a complication too far? :confused:

Edited to add - there's some useful general info about Salisbury, Old Sarum, Stonehenge and Windsor on links from that London Toolkit page

Funny, I was just looking at The Kings Head Hotel and thought it looked pretty good! I would consider it! The price is a little better then Red Lion.

Maybe, it would be better and less stressful to get picked up at Heathrow and tour Stonehenge and Salisbury and then getting dropped at a Southampton Hotel. I'm thinking The Pig In The Wall. After the cruise, get picked up and possibly stop at Winchester and then onto our hotel in Windsor. The LondonToolKit is a good idea, but, I think we'll need the time in Windsor and possibly visit Hampton Court and of course Windsor Castle.

The hotels in Salisbury are less expensive then Southampton, but, it could be more time-saving to go right to Southampton.

I love your suggestions and your knowledge of the area, J.B. I've lived in a small town in Eastern Pa. and would still get lost!!!

My tactic pre-cruise is to keep it very simple. I like to allow for a full day, at least, and use that to become "sensible" after a very long flight. When cruising out of Southampton we have used Smithsforairports from LHR, arrived around noon, dropped off luggage, and wandered around the old parts of the city. Then the next day took the train to Salisbury, HoHo to Stonehenge, back to Salisbury for a wander around the cathedral area, and then back to Southampton in time for dinner. After dinner at the Red Lion and a good nights sleep I was ready for the cruise.

On another occasion we used Smiths again and stayed in Winchester for two nights -- lovely place to visit in gorgeous countryside. Highly recommend a meal at the Chesil Rectory. Jane Austen is buried in the cathedral; it also has a fascinating crypt.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513223

For our next cruise out of Southampton in November 2019 --chilly, wet?, and short day length --we will fly business class (points) and stay at the Pig in the Wall, wander around historic areas we missed before, and eat again at the Red Lion.

While Windsor Castle is an iconic English place I found the town incredibly touristy and not for me. I've yet to get to Hampton Court but it is on my list of intriguing places.

Private transfer LHR - Stonehenge - Salisbury - Southampton would be more expensive, and limit your time in Salisbury. You'd also be very strongly advised to pre-book timed tickets for a half-hour arrival slot at Stonehenge, especially for a sunday - and that's kinda difficult to figure when flying in because of the uncertain flight arrival time, uncertain time for LHR formalities, and uncertain traffic approaching Stonehenge from the London direction on a late summer sunday. Miss that slot and you risk being held at the entrance until a less-busy time.

OTOH it would be less stressful and, assuming you get the Stonehenge ticket timing right, save you time on the sunday. That would be more important with a late-morning flight arrival than an early-morning arrival.

What's your scheduled arrival time at LHR?

There's a third "mid-way" option.

Private transfer LHR - Stonehenge - Salisbury. Overnite in a Salisbury hotel, then Salisbury to Southampton next morning by train or private transfer.

That would give you more time in Salisbury. Plus Old Sarum by taxi or local bus if you wish, it's only two miles (taxi saves you the walk uphill cos a taxi can drive up the little lane).

More importantly, you could put off visiting Salisbury cathedral until the monday morning - visiting hours on sundays are restricted by religious services, https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/visit-plan-your-visit/visiting-times and sometime on sunday you'll probably feel the effects of jet-lag. The cathedral is only a 5 minute walk from any of those Salisbury hotels, it's open to visitors from 9am on a September monday and you'd not need a train or transfer until noon or later.

Yes, Salisbury hotels are cheaper than Southampton. No cruise ships there, you see. ;)

And more characterful than the cloned modern chain hotels that abound in Southampton.

If you choose to overnite in Southampton, the Pig is a good choice and truly is "in-the-wall" - it's embedded in the city wall. A well-respected "boutique" hotel. Lacking in public rooms (just the one), but a very very short walk from a wide range of pubs and restaurants. And right by enough historic sights to amuse you if you want to step out in the morning.

Me?

I'd overnite in Salisbury.

But I'm not you.

A legend about the founding of Salisbury.

It was decided that the city should be moved from its hilltop fort location at Old Sarum to the river plain below.

Legend said that an archer fired an arrow into the air and they built Salisbury (New Sarum) where the arrow landed.

A flaw in the legend was that it was two miles from Old Sarum, way too far for an arrow.

So the legend was manipulated - the arrow hit a deer, and New Sarum was built where the deer eventually succumbed to its injury. :rolleyes:

Private transfer LHR - Stonehenge - Salisbury - Southampton would be more expensive, and limit your time in Salisbury. You'd also be very strongly advised to pre-book timed tickets for a half-hour arrival slot at Stonehenge, especially for a sunday - and that's kinda difficult to figure when flying in because of the uncertain flight arrival time, uncertain time for LHR formalities, and uncertain traffic approaching Stonehenge from the London direction on a late summer sunday. Miss that slot and you risk being held at the entrance until a less-busy time.

OTOH it would be less stressful and, assuming you get the Stonehenge ticket timing right, save you time on the sunday. That would be more important with a late-morning flight arrival than an early-morning arrival.

What's your scheduled arrival time at LHR?

There's a third "mid-way" option.

Private transfer LHR - Stonehenge - Salisbury. Overnite in a Salisbury hotel, then Salisbury to Southampton next morning by train or private transfer.

That would give you more time in Salisbury. Plus Old Sarum by taxi or local bus if you wish, it's only two miles (taxi saves you the walk uphill cos a taxi can drive up the little lane).

More importantly, you could put off visiting Salisbury cathedral until the monday morning - visiting hours on sundays are restricted by religious services, https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/visit-plan-your-visit/visiting-times and sometime on sunday you'll probably feel the effects of jet-lag. The cathedral is only a 5 minute walk from any of those Salisbury hotels, it's open to visitors from 9am on a September monday and you'd not need a train or transfer until noon or later.

Yes, Salisbury hotels are cheaper than Southampton. No cruise ships there, you see. ;)

And more characterful than the cloned modern chain hotels that abound in Southampton.

If you choose to overnite in Southampton, the Pig is a good choice and truly is "in-the-wall" - it's embedded in the city wall. A well-respected "boutique" hotel. Lacking in public rooms (just the one), but a very very short walk from a wide range of pubs and restaurants. And right by enough historic sights to amuse you if you want to step out in the morning.

Me?

I'd overnite in Salisbury.

But I'm not you.

A legend about the founding of Salisbury.

It was decided that the city should be moved from its hilltop fort location at Old Sarum to the river plain below.

Legend said that an archer fired an arrow into the air and they built Salisbury (New Sarum) where the arrow landed.

A flaw in the legend was that it was two miles from Old Sarum, way too far for an arrow.

So the legend was manipulated - the arrow hit a deer, and New Sarum was built where the deer eventually succumbed to its injury. :rolleyes:

Our flight arrival into Heathrow is 11am on the 16th of Sept. Thank you for the history lesson about Salisbury. We always recognize the names of these places, but don't know much about the legends, etc., of them. I'm sure I'm making things more difficult then it should be with pre and post cruise and won't put nearly as much thought into the ports that we're visiting! I will try to comprehend all this info and will have to make a decision and stick with it! Our plane fare is on hold for about 6 more days.

I do have to mention to others about reading old posts for advice. I just read an old post from you, JB, about booking The Jury Inn in Southampton. I read advice that you had given to someone about the location of it. The hotel got great reviews, but not one of them said about the not so good location! Thanks, again!

My tactic pre-cruise is to keep it very simple. I like to allow for a full day, at least, and use that to become "sensible" after a very long flight. When cruising out of Southampton we have used Smithsforairports from LHR, arrived around noon, dropped off luggage, and wandered around the old parts of the city. Then the next day took the train to Salisbury, HoHo to Stonehenge, back to Salisbury for a wander around the cathedral area, and then back to Southampton in time for dinner. After dinner at the Red Lion and a good nights sleep I was ready for the cruise.

On another occasion we used Smiths again and stayed in Winchester for two nights -- lovely place to visit in gorgeous countryside. Highly recommend a meal at the Chesil Rectory. Jane Austen is buried in the cathedral; it also has a fascinating crypt.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513223

For our next cruise out of Southampton in November 2019 --chilly, wet?, and short day length --we will fly business class (points) and stay at the Pig in the Wall, wander around historic areas we missed before, and eat again at the Red Lion.

While Windsor Castle is an iconic English place I found the town incredibly touristy and not for me. I've yet to get to Hampton Court but it is on my list of intriguing places.

We did try Smiths and they were booked for our dates. I do know what you mean about that first day after u get off a transatlantic flight. You just don't know when the jet lag will hit! Is the Red Lion that you mention in Southampton? I was looking at a Red Lion Hotel in Salisbury. Thank you for the link and your experiences!

With an 11am landing at LHR you can expect to be in the arrivals hall by 1pm, and a private transfer should get you to Stonehenge by 2.30 or direct to Salisbury by 2.45.

Via a 90-minute stop (that's ample time) at Stonehenge with an appropriately-timed admission ticket (or perhaps even if the ticket isn't appropriately-timed), you'd be in Salisbury about 4.30. That's too late for Sunday's visitor hours at the cathedral (noon to 4pm), but you could visit from 9am on the Monday.

Direct to Salisbury you should be able to make the 3.12pm Stonehenge ho-ho, the city centre stop is 5-10 mins from any of those hotels. At that time of year the ho-ho is only hourly but if you miss it you'd comfortably make the last ho-ho at 4.12pm. Last ho-ho leaves Stonehenge at 6pm, even then if you're still full of beans you could stop off at Old Sarum on the way back and take a local bus the two miles from Old Sarum to Salisbury.

You could alternatively visit the cathedral when you get to Salisbury - you'd have an hour and that's "sufficient" - and visit Stonehenge next morning.

- the first ho-ho is at 10.12am, arrives Stonehenge 10.33 and you could return at 11.43 and still be in good time for a private transfer or train to get you to your ship in time.

- or a private transfer from hotel to Stonehenge to ship. More expensive, but with a pre-booked local 20-minute drive to Stonehenge you can confidently pre-purchase timed Stonehenge tickets, you can make it as early or as late in the morning as you like, choose how long you want to stay there, and it'd be a very relaxing day.

But unless the weather is foul on the sunday I'd visit Stonehenge and leave the cathedral til next morning.

One thing's for sure - unless you can attend a sunday service in the cathedral you won't fit both Stonehenge & an inside visit to the cathedral into the sunday.

If you lodge in Southampton you can visit Salisbury cathedral by train and still board your ship in time - but that's a pretty illogical way to do it.

All-in-all, this reinforces my belief that you'd do better to lodge in Salisbury. And because of the uncertain Stonehenge timing, weather and energy levels, I reckon a direct transfer LHR to hotel.

But I won't be miffed if you choose differently, it's your trip & your decision.

Sorry, I'm probably complicating matters with all these options :rolleyes: but you have time to consider them after booking your flights.

And book a private transfer from LHR soonest - once booked it shouldn't be difficult to change the destination. Smiths would be my first choice, but try www.westquaycars.com (or their more expensive touring arm http://www.discoverthesouth.co.uk/ ) or www.aquacars.co.uk

BTW the Red Lion mentioned by Alaskanb is in Southampton's High Street http://theredlion.restaurantwebx.com/

It's a small pub, not a hotel. Very historic (15th/16th century) & atmospheric. I've eaten there - very adequate pub-grub but you eat there for the surroundings, not the menu.

(There's another - and very ordinary - Red Lion pub in a residential district of Southampton)

With an 11am landing at LHR you can expect to be in the arrivals hall by 1pm, and a private transfer should get you to Stonehenge by 2.30 or direct to Salisbury by 2.45.

Via a 90-minute stop (that's ample time) at Stonehenge with an appropriately-timed admission ticket (or perhaps even if the ticket isn't appropriately-timed), you'd be in Salisbury about 4.30. That's too late for Sunday's visitor hours at the cathedral (noon to 4pm), but you could visit from 9am on the Monday.

Direct to Salisbury you should be able to make the 3.12pm Stonehenge ho-ho, the city centre stop is 5-10 mins from any of those hotels. At that time of year the ho-ho is only hourly but if you miss it you'd comfortably make the last ho-ho at 4.12pm. Last ho-ho leaves Stonehenge at 6pm, even then if you're still full of beans you could stop off at Old Sarum on the way back and take a local bus the two miles from Old Sarum to Salisbury.

You could alternatively visit the cathedral when you get to Salisbury - you'd have an hour and that's "sufficient" - and visit Stonehenge next morning.

- the first ho-ho is at 10.12am, arrives Stonehenge 10.33 and you could return at 11.43 and still be in good time for a private transfer or train to get you to your ship in time.

- or a private transfer from hotel to Stonehenge to ship. More expensive, but with a pre-booked local 20-minute drive to Stonehenge you can confidently pre-purchase timed Stonehenge tickets, you can make it as early or as late in the morning as you like, choose how long you want to stay there, and it'd be a very relaxing day.

But unless the weather is foul on the sunday I'd visit Stonehenge and leave the cathedral til next morning.

One thing's for sure - unless you can attend a sunday service in the cathedral you won't fit both Stonehenge & an inside visit to the cathedral into the sunday.

If you lodge in Southampton you can visit Salisbury cathedral by train and still board your ship in time - but that's a pretty illogical way to do it.

All-in-all, this reinforces my belief that you'd do better to lodge in Salisbury. And because of the uncertain Stonehenge timing, weather and energy levels, I reckon a direct transfer LHR to hotel.

But I won't be miffed if you choose differently, it's your trip & your decision.

Sorry, I'm probably complicating matters with all these options :rolleyes: but you have time to consider them after booking your flights.

And book a private transfer from LHR soonest - once booked it shouldn't be difficult to change the destination. Smiths would be my first choice, but try www.westquaycars.com (or their more expensive touring arm http://www.discoverthesouth.co.uk/ ) or www.aquacars.co.uk

BTW the Red Lion mentioned by Alaskanb is in Southampton's High Street http://theredlion.restaurantwebx.com/

It's a small pub, not a hotel. Very historic (15th/16th century) & atmospheric. I've eaten there - very adequate pub-grub but you eat there for the surroundings, not the menu.

(There's another - and very ordinary - Red Lion pub in a residential district of Southampton)

Thank you for clearing that up about the Red Lion Pub in Southampton. We will certainly look it up when staying in Southampton.

I presented all my ideas for our pre and post cruise trip. He wasn't for going on it at all because of not wanting to fly, but I have changed his mind and he seems to be getting interested. He probably enjoys it more then I do because I'm so exhausted with doing all the planning! Anyway, he thinks that the least stressful way to do it is to get picked up at the airport and going to Southampton via Winchester for a short stop then onto our hotel.

Post-cruise, get picked up at the cruise port and go onto Stonehenge/Salisbury and get dropped off at our Windsor hotel. I did check out London Toolkit for post cruise and did email them about being dropped off at our Windsor hotel. They told me that they couldn't drop me off that I'd have to get our luggage from the parking lot where the bus is parked and we'd have to drag it to the hotel. I don't have any idea how far that would be, but, I could see that getting ugly, especially if it's raining! Private transfers is the way to go, which I have been getting quotes from. At least with private transfers we could control our time better.

We did try Smiths and they were booked for our dates. I do know what you mean about that first day after u get off a transatlantic flight. You just don't know when the jet lag will hit! Is the Red Lion that you mention in Southampton? I was looking at a Red Lion Hotel in Salisbury. Thank you for the link and your experiences!

Aplogize -- got my pubs mixed up. We enjoy the Duke of Wellington.

Aplogize -- got my pubs mixed up. We enjoy the Duke of Wellington.

Thanks! We'll be looking for a place to eat when staying at The Pig In The Wall. I understand that they don't have a place to have dinner in house. We've never been to Southampton before, just Dover. I took some of your advice and will go straight to the port after a short stop in Winchester. I have read part of your cruise report from Princess, wish we were going with them again, instead on The Jade. I just love Princess and we're Platinum members. The timing and price wasn't right. We're stopping at some of the ports that you were at. I'll continue to read on and might need advice on some ports/tours! Thanks!

Thanks! We'll be looking for a place to eat when staying at The Pig In The Wall. I understand that they don't have a place to have dinner in house. We've never been to Southampton before, just Dover. I took some of your advice and will go straight to the port after a short stop in Winchester. I have read part of your cruise report from Princess, wish we were going with them again, instead on The Jade. I just love Princess and we're Platinum members. The timing and price wasn't right. We're stopping at some of the ports that you were at. I'll continue to read on and might need advice on some ports/tours! Thanks!

The Duke of Wellington is about a 5 minute walk from the Pig.

If you have time in the morning maybe do part of this walk http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/uploads/media_items/old-town-walk-map.original.pdf