Do it yourself Chichen Itsa from Cozumel?

ma23peas

we have always created our own excursions, I want to plan a day to Chichen Itsa-need help.

We’ll take the earliest ferry over (is it a taxi ride away?)

Are there public buses that take us there from the ferry or do you suggest hiring a private driver- any recommendations? We want to stay for 2 hours at the ruins. Then head back. Leaving at the earliest, we hope to be back to the ferry by 4-5pm. The port docking is 7am-8pm.

Any tips? It honestly does not bother me, I’ve flown in to Barcelona the day of our cruise, did Amalfi Coast and Pompeii on our own with plenty of time to get back on ship (10 hour day)...many freak out considering this..many think it would not be enjoyable..we’re the kind of people that fly to Orlando to hit four parks in one day and fly back...it’s just how we travel. Thanks for the tips!!

No way I would try it.

The ferry is only once per hour and you need to be at the station at least 20 minutes before the hour, to buy ticket and stand in line to get on. Then you would need to rent a car or private driver to get to the ruins. We rented a car and it took over 2 hours just to get in the car... it is Mexico you know. Then we had to drive over, toll roads, gas for car, etc. We stayed the night at a hotel at Chicken Itza, not on a cruise. The ruins are HUGE and it takes a minimum of 2 hours with a tour guide to see the high points, more time for seeing everything. Then you have to drive back, fill up gas, drop off car...then hope you get back to ferry in time or wait for next one. No kidding.... I would never do it from a cruise. We did it as an overnight trip when we were on vacation in Cozumel.

Chichen Itza is amazing, but that would be a good 10 hour day mostly travel time ... not worth it for such a special place. And you might miss your ship if for some reason the ferry doesn't run in time.

robin

It's Chichen Itza and I would not do this unless on a ship sponsored tour, but it is your cruise.

There are two ferry companies operating - I would pay a little more for a one way ticket in case you need to take the other ferry on your return.

You'll need a taxi from your ship to the ferry; I would try to arrange a private driver to meet you at the terminal instead of trolling for a driver when you arrive in Playa del Carmen.

Good luck - you'll need it! ;)

we have always created our own excursions, I want to plan a day to Chichen Itsa-need help.

We’ll take the earliest ferry over (is it a taxi ride away?)

Are there public buses that take us there from the ferry or do you suggest hiring a private driver- any recommendations? We want to stay for 2 hours at the ruins. Then head back. Leaving at the earliest, we hope to be back to the ferry by 4-5pm. The port docking is 7am-8pm.

Any tips? It honestly does not bother me, I’ve flown in to Barcelona the day of our cruise, did Amalfi Coast and Pompeii on our own with plenty of time to get back on ship (10 hour day)...many freak out considering this..many think it would not be enjoyable..we’re the kind of people that fly to Orlando to hit four parks in one day and fly back...it’s just how we travel. Thanks for the tips!!

Tips?

I would suggest you make sure you carry your passport with you if you go independently. My advice would also be to take ship excursion, or save it for a mainland vacation.

Your questions suggest you are in the early stages of planning and research. Perhaps look into private air excursion, some previous independent travelers have found this to be a viable option.

I knew many would share why NOT to do it, hence why I shared why I would do it.

If a mass exodus excursion from a 5,000 passenger ship can make it in 6 hours, I can easily do it in the same time with more time at the locale. I realize 95% would not try it, last year planned an aggressive trip that covered LA, Disneyland, Sequoyah, 3 nights in Yosemite Valley, five key hikes, a beach stay 7 hours away...so many said it would not be enjoyable, no way I could land at LAX and be in the parks in less than an hour in traffic. Guess what, we walked through those gates in 52 minutes from the time we landed and that included getting our rental car. I can’t impress this enough, if it can be done..we’ll do it. I’m rational, consider logistics, and rule it out if it’s not possible...but, this is. I’ll happily report our experience in December.

I’m off to find others like me who did it and who they recommend for a driver.

If a mass exodus excursion from a 5,000 passenger ship can make it in 6 hours, I can easily do it in the same time with more time at the locale. I realize 95% would not try it, last year planned an aggressive trip that covered LA, Disneyland, Sequoyah, 3 nights in Yosemite Valley, five key hikes, a beach stay 7 hours away...so many said it would not be enjoyable, no way I could land at LAX and be in the parks in less than an hour in traffic. Guess what, we walked through those gates in 52 minutes from the time we landed and that included getting our rental car. I can’t impress this enough, if it can be done..we’ll do it. I’m rational, consider logistics, and rule it out if it’s not possible...but, this is. I’ll happily report our experience in December.

I wish you luck with your research, I still maintain you have a lot to do. Your quoted trip history is impressive but did it involve the time constraints associated with catching a ship departure?

Not sure which port you are docking at (which will make a big difference), but keep in mind the ship exodus you are comparing will have a dedicated ferry for outward and return trip which the ship will wait for. YOU will be reliant on regular ferry service schedule which you may/may not have to take taxi each way to reach.

Personally I think this is a much bigger issue than the land transport on the mainland and still think I would consider air transport direct.

Ok if you are going to do it regardless of the suggestions not to do on your own then why ask here? Most who do it either do it thru the ship so the cruise line is responsible if the ship is missed or do it on a land vacation. There are reasons people are giving you the advice you apparently don't want to hear.

Can it be done? I’m sure it is possible and has been done before. I generally do independent tours, but also like to relax on vacation without being stressed. Some thrive on adrenaline and pushing the limits. Nothing wrong with either option. To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish you luck with your research, I still maintain you have a lot to do. Your quoted trip history is impressive but did it involve the time constraints associated with catching a ship departure?

Not sure which port you are docking at (which will make a big difference), but keep in mind the ship exodus you are comparing will have a dedicated ferry for outward and return trip which the ship will wait for. YOU will be reliant on regular ferry service schedule which you may/may not have to take taxi each way to reach.

Personally I think this is a much bigger issue than the land transport on the mainland and still think I would consider air transport direct.

Thanks for being thoughtful, yes 😁, we have pushed the limits on ferries. But, oddly, every passenger I’ve seen racing to a ferry as the ship pulled away was carrying quite a number of shopping bags. I would venture to say I have a greater chance of making the ferry because all of my moves are calculated and measured, leaving no room for “Oh! The time just got away from me!”

I’m sure they could blame traffic or a broken down taxi, but I really do my research. I liken it to planning a trip to the moon-everything is considered-weather, potential for mechanical failures, logistics with meals-even bathroom breaks-my Kids know momma won’t stop so they better pee before they put their AIS.

Our port in Naples included the complete drive around the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Positano, back around to Pompeii where we had a private guide for two hours and even had an amazing outdoor dining experience overlooking the sea)...my calculations had us completing everything (including being the first off the ship) in 10 hours and 20 minutes, it took 10 hours and 15 minutes!!! If anything, I’m efficient! Every cruise goer said you had to choose either Pompeii OR the Amalfi Coast tour...everyone! No one believed we could do it with 4 adults and 3 kids in tow. We did!! Honestly, one of the best memories! Same thing hopping a train to Pisa, the key is we literally are the first off the ship and we race to the ferry or train station...I’m leaning more towards renting a car with American Car Rental, paying for all the insurance, packing some sandwiches to eat in the car...it’s looking more promising-found 3-4 reviews where they managed it...that’s all I need-if it’s possible...I’m committed.

Can it be done? I’m sure it is possible and has been done before. I generally do independent tours, but also like to relax on vacation without being stressed. Some thrive on adrenaline and pushing the limits. Nothing wrong with either option. To each his own.

Yes!! This!! For me, it’s not the adrenaline but seizing the opportunity! We don’t go ‘back’ to ports, hit new ones each cruise...if I ‘can’ see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast—you betcha-I’ll make it happen.

Life is too short to relax when you have amazing opportunities at foot!!❤️❤️❤️ With three cruising days, we have time to kick back. 😁

Ok if you are going to do it regardless of the suggestions not to do on your own then why ask here? Most who do it either do it thru the ship so the cruise line is responsible if the ship is missed or do it on a land vacation. There are reasons people are giving you the advice you apparently don't want to hear.

Honestly, I hoped the way I prefaced my question would limit responses such as yours. I specifically intimated there was no need to tell me not to do it, I was asking specifically for logistical tips from cruisers who might can help me piece my details together. I’m venturing 5,000 cruisers (easily) have been there and have more knowledge than me on cars, ferries, or maybe they took the ship’s excursion and can share tips. I would think the reason I asked for help is because they are cruisers who can help rather than discourage- if I listened to all those, I never would have seen the leaning tower of Pisa or Pompeii...and that is why I don’t.

Like you, I plan trips that nobody in their right mind would consider viable. So I do understand planning everything in order to make what seems impossible a success. I’ve even planned day trips where we fly to a vacation destination in the morning, pack the day with sightseeing, and then fly back home that same evening. Everything, including transportation, time at different points of interests, and meals are meticulously planned down to the minute, and the plans work perfectly most of the time!

With all of that said, I believe that taking a trip to Chichen Itzá from Cozumel during a cruise stop is not something that I would ever try on my own. Not because the time line doesn’t work, but because you’ll need to rely on things that are unreliable in order to make the timeline work. I have experienced how spotty the ferry system and public transportation can be in the Yucatán peninsula. So even with meticulous planning, this is one adventure where you could very easily find yourself stranded in the Mexican mainland while your ship sails away without you.

Backup plans if the ferry cancels or is delayed (something that happens frequently for several reasons) are limited to non existent. If water transportation is canceled due to sea conditions, your only way to get to Cozumel will be by taking a small plane from the Cancun Airport, something that will take you precious hours to coordinate and will most likely guarantee that you won’t make it back in time.

Can it be done? Absolutely, if everything goes without a hitch. But there’s very little room for error, even for someone who thrives in this type of adventure.

Tips? If you find an itinerary that stops in Progreso, that’s a much better hop off point for those wishing to visit Chichen Itzá on their own. There’s no ferry involved and the driving distance is less. If you still choose to try to do Chichen Itzá from Cozumel, then my recommendation is that you do take your passport and anything else necessary to meet your ship at the next port of call in case you do miss your ship!

ma23peas,

I can understand how your "rushed" travels in the US appear to have gone reasonably well. However, this is Mexico! And as with everything, best laid plans fall apart.

Thinfool made a recommendation to look at the Viator excursion, see link.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Cozumel/Chichen-Itza-Day-Trip-from-Cozumel/d632-5811COZCHIDAY

However do note this is a 13 hour excursion (6 of those are travel time, others are taken up by time at a resort, which you may or may not want). That's the full time you are in Cozumel. You will NOT be getting off the ship at 7AM, 7:30-7:45 A at the earliest. You will have to be back on board by 7:30 PM. Thus maybe 12 hours total. Depending on your original port of embarkation on the ship, and time of year, the ship departure time from Cozumel could be an hour earlier than the time in Cozumel (Eastern Standard Time all year around). DIY you need to catch the 6PM (Coz time) return ferry to Cozumel That means being at the Playa ferry dock around 5:30(Coz time).

So good luck in traveling, but do carry passports and extra cash/credit cards in case you miss ship and have to fly to next port of call.

ma23peas,

https://www.viator.com/tours/Cozumel/Chichen-Itza-Day-Trip-from-Cozumel/d632-5811COZCHIDA

So good luck in traveling, but do carry passports and extra cash/credit cards in case you miss ship and have to fly to next port of call.

Thank you! I did check out their link and it’s why I avoid those kinds of tours, no way we could make it back in time. I’ll have a plan B to Tulum in case we miss our first ferry or the weather is against us, but if we can rent a car and be off to on the road by 10:00am, we’ll go for it..we would leave Chichen by 2:30..giving us a window of 3 hours to get the car returned and make it back..if it’s after 10:00am after we get the rental, we’ll just drive to Tulum. Honestly not near as tight as most our Mediterranean ports. The closest we cut it was 30 minutes and that was because the ship didn’t actually let us disembark until an hour later. The ship had to wait two hours to leave anyhow bc all their excursions were late. I’ll report back how it went with pictures!!

Do keep a watch on ship time. set before you debark in Cozumel.

The Yucatan is on Central time and does observe daylight savings time from April through October.

Be sure to convert ferry departures with ship time and to leave 3+ hours before the ferry you need departs. And remember, renting a car in Mexico requires much more paper work and time to rent than in the US. But book the car in advance if possible. And take all insurance offered.

Get a good map on paper with stops and gas stations marked, in case GPS doesn't function.

Come back here and report on your adventure.

You are missing some key info. I believe that rci and carnival excursions are using private boats that come right to their dock and the public ferry is from downtown dock? You are there a long time and have that in your favor. What people here are warning you about is people there move on Caribbean time.....much slower pace to everything and they don't care if you're behind schedule. We've been there 8 times and never pulled away on time. They always are waiting on excursion to return from mainland. But haven't left at 8pm. That could make it doable. Seems a stressful way to vacation but everyone decides what is fun for them! Good luck and report back on how you made out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have traveled to many the ruins with educational groups from Cancun. It was always a long day, usually leaving before daylight and returning late in the evening. Although, I am sure your trip is possible, I would not take the risk. There is too much that could go wrong. If you really want to do this plan a stay in Cancun (often can be done cheaper than a cruise.)

It is good to have a backup plan in case you don’t make the first Ferry. The Ruins in Tulum are very different. It is the ruins of the original city of Tulum. Closer than Chichen Itsa is Coba, the temple in Coba is larger, and you may climb it. We spent about 2 hours there and some of our group climbed the temple. You will still spend most of the day in travel, but it is nowhere near as crowded and there was no line to get in (saving about 20 or 30 minutes).

Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks all! I'm a bit worried now, reading more on my logistical research, this past March/April there were two bombs found on ferries leading to PDC...and cruisers were not allowed to take them. I tried to read a bit further and they think it was more a personal issue with a not so business savvy owner, but the US govt forbid those with security clearance from taking the ferries...this could pose a problem. Worried about a sudden change in that ability to go across...does this happen often on these ferries?

Thanks all! I'm a bit worried now, reading more on my logistical research, this past March/April there were two bombs found on ferries leading to PDC...and cruisers were not allowed to take them. I tried to read a bit further and they think it was more a personal issue with a not so business savvy owner, but the US govt forbid those with security clearance from taking the ferries...this could pose a problem. Worried about a sudden change in that ability to go across...does this happen often on these ferries?

The issue with the "bombs" was due to an insurance scam of the 3rd ferry service attempting to collect $$ because of poor business.

These ferries are used daily by people who live on the mainland and work on Cozumel, as well as tourists. Ship excursions to the mainland from Cozumel was halted for a short time, but resumed once the investigation was over and it was shown that n drug cartel or "terrorists" were involved. The US State Department often issues travel advisories and may stop State Department employees from going to or from certain areas. Fast to issue slow to rescind.